New to PS3 Scene, have some questions

Discussion in 'PS3 - Hacking & Homebrew' started by mary1517, Jun 10, 2015.

1. mary1517
    OP

mary1517 GBAtemp Regular

Sep 14, 2009
    Poland
    So umm... where do I start.
    I'm a Nintendo type of a gamer. I never had interest in other consoles until now. I skipped the last generation of hardcore gaming because of Wii, and because I don't game on PC. I still want to at least try some blockbusters from the past gen, and rather then buying myself a powerful gaming PC, on my budget I decided to get a used, modded PS3, because the exclusives on X360 are not that impressive, and most of the good games from past gen are multiplat anyways and even Diablo 3 had a PS3 release if I remember correctly?

But I have some questions that I need to be answered, and, being used to all this rumor-and-scam fest that is going on the Nintendo homebrew scene, I rather ask then believe a random YT video...

1. Is it true that, after moddin ofc, I can boot not only PS3 games on my console, but also PS2, PSX AND PSP? How's the compatibility and FPS? For me it sounds too good to be true. I can, f'king play Spyro the Dragon AND Monster Hunter Freedom on my PS3?!

2. What things can I do with a modded PS3 beside backup loading, is there a list of homebrew apps or something like that to chceck? Something like a "homebrew shop" type of thing?

3. How's the homebrew work on a modded console? Again, referring to Nintendo scene... is there a some type of Homebrew Channel? Oh god, my head spins... I never had a Sony console before, I don't know where to start

4. Anywhere I should totally look before doing anything? a multi-topic thread or guide? Again, a compatibility-list for PS3, PS2, PSX and PSP games would be nice also

I'm so lost I don't even know what to ask about. I apologize, srsly.

2. CheeseCake

CheeseCake GBAtemp Regular

Jul 26, 2014
    United States
    On the Kitchen Table Obviously
    Read the extended quote first.

Once you have CFW, no worries anymore. You only need to pray during CFW installation/updates since that's the part that will possibly brick you.

Updating CFW is getting the CFW file directly from the developer's forum thread or site. Rename CFW .PUP to UPDAT.PUP and putting it in USB://PS3/UPDATE.
    I recommend installing Toggle QA first since it reduces the probability of the brick.
    Also get DefaultDNB's MD5 checker. Use it to confirm validity of CFW and homebrew. http://psx-scene.com/forums/content/ppc-2-5-0-2d-defaultdnb-4985/

Edit: On Homebrews, forgot to add Showtime if you want to watch movies and stuff from USB/HDD/

Last edited by CheeseCake, Jun 11, 2015
    mary1517 likes this.
  3. mary1517
    OP

mary1517 GBAtemp Regular

Sep 14, 2009
    Poland
    Thank you! This is everything I wanted to know, you helped me a lot :3