New to modded 360s but I didn't personally mod it.

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Games & Content' started by synxiii, Sep 7, 2010.

1. synxiii
    OP

Newcomer synxiii Member

Canada
    Hey guys, figured I'll ask here as I read the sticky'd thread already. Anyway I just got a Elite 360 from someone who has just modded their's last Sunday and here's the thing, he doesn't know what it's flashed with or how the mod works exactly.

All he told me when I asked about his mod is:
    "I dont know much about xboxes and modding. My friend made me buy one so we can play.
    I'm not sure how the security works. But My friend told me that when a new game comes out. Just dont play it like right away. Wait first and let others play for it, and if nobody is getting banned then thats when you play it."

I've already gone and created a Live account and nothing happened so far, I haven't tried playing a game online yet(downloading a stealth patched SSFIV backup) and I have some legit games here.
    Before I try anything is there any simple way of finding out what it has been flashed with? Seeing that this is a recent mod, would that cut down the possible list shorter?

2. tk_saturn

Member tk_saturn GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    Simple answer? No.

You need to dump the drives firmware, or hook it upto Jungle Flasher.

3. synxiii
    OP

Newcomer synxiii Member

Canada
    Cool, thanks for the quick reply, I should just look at one of the sticky'd threads for that right? Does it require anything special to connect the drive to my PC(since I think there's a lack of support for OS X users).

Oh yeah, will I be alright to play legit games over Live with any 360 modded console?

4. CJL18

Member CJL18 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States

once you flash yoru 360 it doesnt matter if you play legit games you can still get banned. if your worried about getting banned then dont flash your 360

5. synxiii
    OP

Newcomer synxiii Member

Canada
    I sorta got it for free so as I mentioned, just trying to get as much info down on the 360 mod scene. Unlike the other consoles, the 360 seems like the most high risk and complicated(not the most convenient way to do it).
    If there's a way to get it reflashed to original firmware, that would be awesome...well time to call up the local modders.

Thanks for the info, GBATEMP is much better than other forums.

6. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    There is a pack of stock firmwares you can inject your keys into and flash back if you want- the damage might already be done though as far as banning goes.

Banwaves do not work like that- best guess is they store everything up over the year since the last one and drop people all at once. There have been games like that mind you (Halo ODST, Borderlands and Forza 3 last year) but generally speaking- asking three questions is a big release, is it way ahead of street date and does it scan (at least the basic version- full scan once full release appears is nicer) in ABGX360
    If it fails any of those tests do not use it.

To connect the drive to the PC we usually suggest a compatible sata card but the liteon drives (which you will have if it is a new 360) are usually worth trying with the stock SATA (else you are going to want a via 6421 card which run about 10 of your chosen currency usually although being a mac will trouble things). If you are going to power the drive from a 360 make sure the 360 case and PC case are connected via a wire (or something that conducts).
    If it is the latest hacked firmware I am not sure what provisions are available for dumping keys (old ones it is easy to do but this one aims to be more low profile than previous lines).

If you are running an X86 mac you might try a liveCD like bartpe or hiren's or grabbing a small XP distro and installing that on a spare drive. If you are still on powerpc you are out of luck.

As for the initial question I say hooking up to the PC is the best way but if you have a stack of discs burned in the correct manner you can determine a few things.

7. synxiii
    OP

Newcomer synxiii Member

Canada
    Oh, I'm just wondering because I've only played two games before connecting a ethernet cable or even connecting onto Live and currently haven't played anything so far either...been playing around the Live features.
    But then again, no one is really sure how it works right...hmmm.