New to GBA - some advice?

Discussion in 'GBA - Console and Game Discussions, Help and Tips' started by sbm888, May 19, 2010.

May 19, 2010

New to GBA - some advice? by sbm888 at 11:53 PM (1,366 Views / 0 Likes) 5 replies

1. sbm888
    OP

Member sbm888 GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    hi all, i'm new to GBA games, because i just purchased a DSTWO, and i want to get some games for my wife, who likes playing 'Zelda' type games, not the RPG turn based games, etc...

what do you recommend? i have browsed through the essesntials etc. and found that Zelda no densetsu is a recommended game, so i'm going to get that one, any others?

(btw - must be in japanese, action rpg (not turned based battle).

thankyou for your time.

2. Ammako

Member Ammako GBAtemp Guru

Canada
    I recommend getting nesDS to play the first Legend of Zelda.
    But if it absolutely has to be the (J) version of it, I think the Japanese version of the game still is in English, but I don't know if the Famicom Mini edition is in English too.

But if you use nesDS instead, then get the US or EU version of it, since the Japanese one is a famicom disk system game which is not supported by nesDS.

3. Edgedancer

Member Edgedancer Director of Moon based operations

Australia
    Try the Mana games. They are the closest I can think of that are not actually Zelda.

4. andrewsmith

Newcomer andrewsmith Newbie

United Kingdom
    thanks this information also helps me a lot as I am also new to this.

5. TanookiSuit

Member TanookiSuit Game Reviewer/Writer -- formerly Vampire Hunter D

United States
    I do believe there was Shining Soul 1 and 2 on GBA which are a mix of zelda with a dash of diablo thrown in there. Also, despite sucking compared to the GB original there's Final Fantasy Adventure(GB) reworked as Sword of Mana which is zelda like.

If you go for previous generation stuff, old GB/C has a lot of Zelda games to do and knockoffs by other companies no emulation required if you're using a GBA, won't work on a DS, but over emulation it would.

6. Logan 5

Member Logan 5 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    oh man there are some great zelda types you can check out:
    (NES) Crystalis - AFAIK this is the king of zelda clones.
    (SMS) Golden Axe Warrior - I enjoyed this one

But what I think you mean to say is that your wife likes games that include a mix of puzzle and action and exploring etc., since it's a woman I recommend:
    The Harry Potter series - Most likely she has seen the movies and will recognize the characters, the games are not too tough, and they are enjoyable.
    Boktai series - Same as above except for the recognizable character thing.