New to flashcards & 3DS hacking, have a few beginner questions.

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by budmonster, Jan 7, 2016.

1. budmonster
    OP

budmonster Member

Newcomer
    Jan 27, 2015
    United States
    I tried posting this in the noob questions thread but no luck so I apologize if this has been repeated over and over. I have the Zelda MM LE New Nintendo 3DSXL & also have a OG 3DS.

My NN3DSXL is on Ver. 10.3.0-28U & my 3DS is on Ver. 9.5.0-23U. I haven't updated anything. I'm new to all this hacking stuff, carts, etc. All I know is that flashcards allow you to download paid 3DS games to play. I don't know if it's true but I read somewhere that you don't need a card to play games just a homebrew installed?

What do I need to do to be able to download and play paid games? And what is a legit online store? I'm in the States.

I appreciate the help...

Last edited by budmonster, Jan 7, 2016
  2. mech

mech ♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️

Oct 26, 2014
    Tonga
    Either buy a sky3ds+ and use it on any firmware or buy a gateway and wait for them to release their software which will let you downgrade your consoles to 9.2 and then use their gateway flash card.

budmonster and MajinCubyan like this.
  3. MajinCubyan

MajinCubyan The Funky Super Saiyan

GBAtemp Patron
    MajinCubyan is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Nov 24, 2014
    United States
    Orre
    Well, you have a few choices depending on what you want to do/feel comfortable doing;

If you wanna pirate games you can get a Gateway or Sky3ds. I don't have either but I think there is lists of retailers in the Shoptemp section above.

If you wanna pirate games but don't want to spend the money on a card, your gonna need to set up some hax on your 3ds, downgrade it to 9.2 and set up CFW and such. That's the cheapest way to go, but requires a lot of work and the ability to follow instructions to a T. Also, I'm not too sure but I think compatibility is a little more touch and go. At least when I had it.

I'd say just get the card. From the post above me, Sky3ds+ sounds like the way to go.

EDIT: Also, I should say that downgrading with what we have right now is a little risky, so tread carefully if you do that.

Last edited by MajinCubyan, Jan 7, 2016
    budmonster likes this.
  4. budmonster
    OP

budmonster Member

Newcomer
    Jan 27, 2015
    United States
    So a sky3ds+ will allow me to play pirated games on my 3DS & NN3DSXL no matter what firmware I'm on? Do you personally know of any respected retailers that sell them? I had no idea that some places sell them for over $100, that's crazy.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

What does the sky3ds+ usually retail for? I've seen $100+ which seems high to me. I see so many stores Im just trying to find a store that won't rip me off or charge me some crazy price. What retailers are most popular and reputable on these forums?

Edit: I'm curious to see what the instructions are for downgrading, installing a CFW, etc. Is their an all in one tutorial for doing everything you described? I'd rather just buy the sky3ds+ but if I can manage to pull off the hacking method instead and save $100 maybe I'll try it on my OG 3DS.

Last edited by budmonster, Jan 7, 2016
  5. MajinCubyan

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Nov 24, 2014
    United States
    Orre
    I would highly recommend the O3DS. From what I've gathered, its less risky for bricking and emunand support goes up to 10.3

For downgrading

For CFW

budmonster likes this.
  6. budmonster
    OP

budmonster Member

Newcomer
    Jan 27, 2015
    United States
    I'll still need a sky3ds+ after doing these steps, correct?

I checked out the http://www.sky3ds.com/reseller.html website of resellers, do you see any that are legit? So many I've clicked on are dead or out of stock. Also, is the sky3ds+ retailing for $90 everywhere? Is that the normal price? Thanks for the help.

Last edited by budmonster, Jan 8, 2016
  7. Svaethier

Svaethier GBAtemp Maniac

Dec 2, 2013
    United States
    Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan
    once you're on a CFW you won't need a flashcard to run games. Just download a cia from a site (just google 3ds chaos and you should find a site that has them)

budmonster and MajinCubyan like this.
  8. MajinCubyan

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Nov 24, 2014
    United States
    Orre
    What they said. :D

But yeah, that seems to be the going price for a sky3ds+

budmonster likes this.
  9. budmonster
    OP

budmonster Member

Newcomer
    Jan 27, 2015
    United States
    Ok I'm going to attempt to downgrade my O3DS and then put the CFW on it, hopefully I don't brick it lol. Anyways, thanks again for the tutorials, going to try it now.

10. budmonster
    OP

budmonster Member

Newcomer
    Jan 27, 2015
    United States
    I was watching the tutorial video from the downgrading link you posted. I downloaded sysUpdater.zip but it says I need an hack(can't really understand him) or exploit installed or something before I can downgrade? I'm confused on these steps.

11. MajinCubyan

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Nov 24, 2014
    United States
    Orre
    Some sort of hax installed, i.e. homemenuhax and browserhax. If you don't have any hax installed, you can use browserhax to set up homemenuhax.

Click this to get set up.

budmonster likes this.
  12. budmonster
    OP

budmonster Member

Newcomer
    Jan 27, 2015
    United States
    I appreciate the assistance but this is way to confusing for me. I was looking at the OoT time method but it's like gibberish to me. And I also have no clue in which order I do all these steps. Having never done with before and not being tech savvy I mine as well be trying to learn Chinese.

Last edited by budmonster, Jan 30, 2016