Hacking new to flash cards, a few questions.

Shabutie78

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so, i've had my DS for years and have always known about flash cards, but never got one until now.
i just ordered an R4 SDHC (comes with 4GB no label micro sd), not knowing that basically every single R4 that is sold these days is fake.
so then i ordered an acekard 2i, and i'm hoping it will be real.
my questions are,

-what is the difference between wood and akaio, for acekards?
-is wood better than akaio? if so, then am i able to install woodrpg on my acekard 2i?
-what is best for my R4SDHC - YSmenu, or moonshell 2.10? i thought i read somewhere that i can install akaio on it, but not sure since mine is a clone.
-are there any known problems with 'no label' (no brand, basically fake.) micro sd cards?

i know i had more questions, but can't remember them..
thanks for any help.

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Wood is only for the Acekard R.P.G and original R4 (or 1:1 clones), AKAIO is for the Acekard R.P.G/ 2.1/ 2i.

Wood will not work on the Acekard 2. AKAIO will not work on your R4SDHC, neither will Wood.

There isn't a huge difference between them, both are based on the Acekard software.

Unbranded MicroSD cards can be fine, it depends on who the OEM is. Class 4 Japan SD-C0GX are Toshiba and are pretty fast.

kwanying

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
Akaio is a good firmware but if you want flash card to play new release game asap stick with R4 that is a clone of R4 or TTds. Cux akaio firmware update slow, (1-2 months) and you can't complain cux the dev get piss off pretty easy (which sux). + some new game have ak bricker too.

Unless you want all those functions ak might be good for you but if games is only the matter stay of this card. I myself have aki with akaio back then its the best and have the fastest support for games but now its a totally diff story.

geoflcl

Permanent GBAtemp Newbie
Trophies
Website
loganderb.in
XP
Country
United States
kwanying said:
Akaio is a good firmware but if you want flash card to play new release game asap stick with R4 that is a clone of R4 or TTds. Cux akaio firmware update slow, (1-2 months) and you can't complain cux the dev get piss off pretty easy (which sux). + some new game have ak bricker too.

Unless you want all those functions ak might be good for you but if games is only the matter stay of this card. I myself have aki with akaio back then its the best and have the fastest support for games but now its a totally diff story.

The reason behind AKAIO's slow updates as of late are the fact that they were release candidates. Now that version 1.7 is out, the updates should be nice and snappy like they used to.

Recommending a clone cart over a legitimate Acekard isn't very good advice, in my opinion. Wood R4 is a puh-retty cool piece o' work, but deliberately using a clone over an Acekard might not be a good idea. But once again, that's my opinion.

Well, since the OP has both choices on hand, my unbiased suggestion would be to try out both options, and see which he prefers. After all, you never know, maybe the clone DOES suit his needs better.

Shabutie78

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thanks to both of you for the speedy replies.

tk_saturn said:
Wood is only for the Acekard R.P.G and original R4 (or 1:1 clones), AKAIO is for the Acekard R.P.G/ 2.1/ 2i.

Wood will not work on the Acekard 2. AKAIO will not work on your R4SDHC, neither will Wood.

There isn't a huge difference between them, both are based on the Acekard software.

Unbranded MicroSD cards can be fine, it depends on who the OEM is. Class 4 Japan SD-C0GX are Toshiba and are pretty fast.

wait, so what will give me the most compatibility with commercial games?
i mean like, what are my options, and how do they compare to using wood?
mind you, i'm assuming wood is the best firmware for any flash card evar so please correct me if i'm wrong.

i'm not really looking too far into NDS homebrew, that's what my psp is for
yaypsp.gif

i just want compatibility with commercial games.

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Shabutie78 said:
wait, so what will give me the most compatibility with commercial games?
i mean like, what are my options, and how do they compare to using wood?

On the Acekard? AKAIO is all you really have.

QUOTEmind you, i'm assuming wood is the best firmware for any flash card evar so please correct me if i'm wrong.

It's the best for the R4, i've no idea which is better to use if you have an R.P.G. I wouldn't say Wood is the best out here. There are many carts with their own OSMenu's, and people will have different opinions. But if you have a R4, it's the best thing since sliced bread. It's also open source, which is a good thing.

Shabutie78

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tk_saturn said:
There are many carts with their own OSMenu's, and people will have different opinions. But if you have a R4, it's the best thing since sliced bread. It's also open source, which is a good thing.

the thing about that is, i don't have an R4. i have an R4 SDHC and an acekard 2i.
i'm just worried that i might have screwed myself on compatibility twice in 48 hours.
do you have any idea about how akaio 1.7 on my acekard will compare to wood 1.10 on an original R4?

basically what i want to know is, am i missing out on the benefits of using wood because i bought an AK2i?
hope you understand i'm just trying to be 100% sure that i did not just waste ~$20

Hakoda

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Shabutie78 said:
tk_saturn said:
There are many carts with their own OSMenu's, and people will have different opinions. But if you have a R4, it's the best thing since sliced bread. It's also open source, which is a good thing.

the thing about that is, i don't have an R4. i have an R4 SDHC and an acekard 2i.
i'm just worried that i might have screwed myself on compatibility twice in 48 hours.
do you have any idea about how akaio 1.7 on my acekard will compare to wood 1.10 on an original R4?

basically what i want to know is, am i missing out on the benefits of using wood because i bought an AK2i?
hope you understand i'm just trying to be 100% sure that i did not just waste ~$20
R4SDHC isn't compatible with Wood (I'm not sure if WAIO counts). You will need an original R4 or a 1:1 clone for Wood R4.
You won't screw yourself for compatibility. Your holding the only brand of card capable of running AKAIO 1.7. AKAIO is an exceptional firmware, it outperforms every other card except for the SupercardDSTwo. It has a compatibility rate of 99%.

Well technically Wood was based off of AKAIO but as of right now, it may seem like Wood is getting faster updates but that's not usually how it is. AKAIO can do everything Wood can do, and more. You did not waste $20 on your Acekard, you'll find it was an exceptional purchase.

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Wood v1.10 will be compatible with more games than AKAIO 1.7, that goes without saying as it's just beenn released. However when AKAIO 1.7.1 is released, the opposite will be true. It goes in a cycle, I'm sure it won't be long before AKAIO 1.7.1 is availible. Let's be realistic, game development for the DS will have been switched to the 3DS, so there aren't going to be tons of AAA games coming out and the DS has a massive back cataogue of games. I imagine there are atleast 1500 unique game, more than enough to keep you busy.

It really isn't a big deal, if you really want one you can get a R4 from ShopTemp for $6 which will run Wood.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/@legolambs