New Teaser Trailer for Square Enix's NieR Automata

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Prans, Jun 14, 2016.

1. Prans
    OP

Prans Geek, gamer, human

pip Reporter
    Apr 22, 2012
    There itself.
    maxresdefault.jpg

NieR: Automata™, the SQUARE ENIX and PlatinumGamesInc. developed, action-RPG title, will be available to fans in Europe and PAL territories early 2017 - for the PS4. It is a follow up to the 2010 cult-classic NIER and tells the story of androids 2B, 9S and A2 and their battle to reclaim the machine-driven dystopia overrun by powerful mechanoids.

This new teaser trailer Showcases the War-Torn World of Androids 2B, 9S and A2:

You can learn more about the game below:

:arrow: NieR: Automata's Official Site

2. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    I did not expect NieR to get a sequel. I know people liked the original, but the game kinda flew under my radar. Was there any buzz for it at all?

3. T-hug

T-hug Always like this.

pip Chief Editor
    Oct 24, 2002
    England
    I played and finished the original and thought it was good, I didn't see every ending though as it required 4 or 5 playthroughs iirc.
    It's kind of a cult classic now and is loosely related to the Drakengard series afaik.

I was interested in this game but it looks very very different from Nier in both gameplay and aesthetic. Also my original interest was based on Platinum's involvement but after their last few games I'm now only cautiously optimistic.

4. Bimmel

Bimmel ~ Game Soundtrack Collector ~

Jan 28, 2014
    Gambia, The
    I would say yes, but only to a certain degree. The games has definitely moments where it shines. Music, art style, story.. even combat is quite fun. But most of the time I felt like a quest slave, running from one place to the other to bring an old lady's teeth back in her mouth. Stuff like that. If you don't mind that - good game for sure.

What do you mean with "aesthetic" exactly?

Sadly I agree to Platinum Games little downfall in the last months. It's a shame, really.

5. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    I meant it more in the sense of what T-hug said. I remember that the game dropped one day and nobody blinked. It's a cult classic, like Bayonetta used to be before Nintendo picked it up and marketed the shit out of it. Maybe to a lesser extent, but you get my drift.

6. Hyro-Sama

Hyro-Sama I'm from the fucking future.

Oct 25, 2009
    After Earth
    Eh. Yoko Taro games always have shit gameplay. It's just kinda expected at this point.

7. Hells Malice

Hells Malice Are you a bully?

GBAtemp Patron
    Hells Malice is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 9, 2009
    Canada
    Nier is a very, very hard game to follow up. It has the best game soundtrack of all time and a fantastic atmosphere. Gameplay was a tad lacking (mostly because it was too easy) but it still did a whole shitload of things right. It really played with a lot of different camera angles and really kept things interesting. It got poorly reviewed by some sports fuckboys on big sites so a lot of people ended up passing this fantastic game by, which is a huge mistake.

I'm interested entirely in the music and the story. They could have me playing pong the entire game and i'd still go through it if they come even close to matching Nier. I recall reading Emi Evans will be back for Nier:Automata though so i'm super hyped to see what she'll be bringing because she was definitely the soul of Nier.

I hope the characters are interesting in this because it's going to be pretty goddamn hard to top Nier, Grimoire Weiss and Kaine.
    Also Nier still has the best teaser trailer i've ever seen.
    2009 Nier teaser
    Sure as hell got ME interested.

Last edited by Hells Malice, Jun 16, 2016
  8. T-hug

T-hug Always like this.

pip Chief Editor
    Oct 24, 2002
    England
  9. Hells Malice

Hells Malice Are you a bully?

GBAtemp Patron
    Hells Malice is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 9, 2009
    Canada
    Holy fuck they nailed it if that boss battle is any indication. Superb.

10. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    The original I kind of liked but it was one in a long list of send in the hardnut to clear the room games on the 360 and I never finished it as I was a bit burned out on them. Though I do appear to own a copy so I might go back and put the effort in now. Generally I would say if you were looking at said list of games (this, Bayonetta, * Souls, Ninety Nine Nights II, Dante's Inferno, Ninja Gaiden, El Shaddai and more) then I would pick it up before Neverdead, Knights Contract or later Ninja Gaiden entries and probably Enslaved: Odyssey to the West as well. Frankly though if you played that many of them and are not burned out I would still sooner look at Dragon's Dogma or Vanquish as they scratch kind of the same itch for me. Technically it is a better game than El Shaddai and NNN but the former is one of the few times when unique really makes it worth it over gameplay (which was not bad by any means) and NNN just really clicked for me.
    Wouldn't have minded seeing what the tweaked/alt version from Japan was like (Nier Replicant was it?), though I understand it was mainly minor story stuff.

That said we appear to be lacking them somewhat lately so I guess this could be worth looking into when it hits. Nothing in either trailer got me excited but I do enjoy a bit of post apocalypse (it was enough to see me continue to play Primal Rage on the megadrive) and the overt shmup elements thing (every game like this seems to have them but seldom in the balls of energy form) could be worth playing with.