Hacking New Switch, 4.0.1, No Patched, where do I start.

OfficialFBomb

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I understand that at this moment we don't have 3ds like cfw, and we don't have guides like we have for the 3ds, which leaves someone like me looking at all these posts getting confused, I am wanting to do 2 things, edit save files for botw (since I have to restart I want to run through this as fast as possible) and to be able to play botw either an nsp or xci version with or without the updated files or dlc.. So is my best bet to do sxos and homebrew or to try stuff like tinfoil devmenu and reinx.. I have a jig coming but I can always do another method to enter rcm, so where do I start? Enter rcm, send reinx, backup everything (unable to use my 200gb micro sd without update?), load something like tin or dev, Install botw, play? I'm just lost on the steps and what is used rn, outdated guides or sifting through 100's of comments is giving my brain an aneurysm .

nightweb

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
I'm no expert so I can only offer advise on what I would do. First I would suggest backing up your NAND, but as you mentioned it's a new Switch on 4.0.1 the first thing I would do it check that your Switch isn't a new iPatched one and can accept payloads, if not then your not going to be able to do much at the moment.

On the other stuff I'm unsure off as I use my CFW mostly to just play my own backups so haven't messed with NSP yet, however you said that you have to restart BOTW so I'm assuming like me you first played on the Wii U, if so then you could backup your save and convert it with the info on this page. though if you can't do that then this page links to a program used to edit your save on the Switch directly

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Stickied guide towards backing up the NAND? Boom: https://gbatemp.net/threads/switch-hacking-101-how-to-launch-the-homebrew-menu-on-all-fw.504012/
Outdated guide to play backups? Boom: https://gbatemp.net/threads/guide-reinx-installation-and-use.512342/

Note that ReiNX currently supports NSP backups while SX OS supports both NSP and XCI. As for save editing, follow the above user's recommendations. Lastly, you didn't mention that you have or don't have a USB-C cable to send payloads with but the first guide I linked you will cover that section for you.

OfficialFBomb

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My restart is due to my first switch being stolen. In theory my serial says my Switch is not patched but yea I did want to test which is why I have a jig coming, I also have both USB c to c and USB a to c so I can try fuse gelee on PC to send a payload and double check if it's patched of not.

Kafluke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As soon as things calm down a bit we'll have some decent guides. Too much happening to write a good guide right now.

But yeah, as with all tutorials back up your nand FIRST

Reactions: Pluupy

OfficialFBomb

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What stopped me from starting any of the guides was trying to figure out why my micro sd would not format in my system on 4.1.0

Canna

Bad Ass Poisonous Mushroom
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My restart is due to my first switch being stolen. In theory my serial says my Switch is not patched but yea I did want to test which is why I have a jig coming, I also have both USB c to c and USB a to c so I can try fuse gelee on PC to send a payload and double check if it's patched of not.

Rcm jig while you wait ?
https://gbatemp.net/threads/paperclip-rcm-jig.502087/
then backup with my guide maybe ?

But i wish you best of luck and whoever stole your switch gets bricked either way

koyuki38

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hacking switch 101 is definitely the guide that teaches you the basics about launching payload (then cfw), using fusée-gelée.

Make sure you underdand it, so when it comes to launch something cool like Reinx you'd not even need to read other tuto anymore.

OfficialFBomb

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Paperclip is on my to do list, then backup, everything, is it safe rn to just update to 5.0.2, even with everyone saying wait seems alot more stuff works on 5 then on 4. And is reinx a good way to start with either tinfoil or devmenu

Canna

Bad Ass Poisonous Mushroom
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Paperclip is on my to do list, then backup, everything, is it safe rn to just update to 5.0.2, even with everyone saying wait seems alot more stuff works on 5 then on 4. And is reinx a good way to start with either tinfoil or devmenu

Not so much safe always a risk
But you have choices,
You can either update stock to 5.1.0 via system
Or
Use hekate bootloader and choirdujourNX to boot into
A custom 5.1.0 without burning any fuses..

latest is 5.1.0 fyi

But like you said .. always do a full clean backup before any modification
And dont go online..

Last edited by Canna,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    and now with the rtx video upscaling, and sdr->hdr conversion, even more reason to go nvidia
    both of which work well in potplayer
    amd is a bit cheaper though
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Cheaper and they are less stingy with the RAM not a big issue now but I can imagine in a yard or two things might be different
    Year not yard lol
    the vram is one advantage when it comes to AI but ends up being slower even with that and really AI is the only use case that needs more than 12gb vram right now
    Interesting lol
    I think I watched a video where two games at 4K where eating just over 16GB of RAM and it's the one case where the 7900XT and XTX pulled ahead (minus RTX of course)
    So my opinion is that they could age a bit better in the future, and maybe AMD will continue improving them via drivers like they tend to do. No guarantee there but they have done it in the past. Just a feeling I have.
    cyberpunk at 4k without DLSS/fidelityfx *might* exceed 12gb
    +1
    but that game barely runs at native 4k
    I think it was some newer games and probably poorly optimized PS4 or PS5 ports
    they definitely will age better but i feel dlss might outweigh that since it looks about as good as native resolution and much less demanding
    +1
    When I played Cyberpunk on my old 2080 Ti it sucked lol
    AMD could introduce something comparable to DLSS but nvidia's got a lot more experience with that
    least amd 7xxx has tensor cores which the previous generations didn't so there is the potential for AI upscaling
    They have FSR or whatever it's called and yeah it's still not great
    so AMD seem to finally be starting to take AI seriously
    Oh yeah those new 8000 CPUs have AI cores built in that's interesting
    Maybe they plan on offloading to the CPU?
    Would be kinda cool to have the CPU and GPU working in random more
    Tandem even
    i think i heard of that, it's a good idea, shouldn't need a dedicated GPU just to run a LLM or video upscaling
    even the nvidia shield tv has AI video upscaling
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: even the nvidia shield tv has AI video upscaling