New Super Mario Brothers Level editor

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by FAST6191, Jul 30, 2007.

Jul 30, 2007
  1. FAST6191
    OP

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    Working on my GBA/DS rom hacking document (DS 3d is not for the feint of heart or those that do not agree with matrices) I stumbled across this and though I would share.

It is a simplistic level editor for new super mario brothers:
    http://jul.rustedmagick.com/board/thread.php?id=244

Old link (may not be current)
    http://acmlm.no-ip.org/board/thread.php?id=2079
    romhacking.net has a mirror too:
    http://www.romhacking.net/utils/457/

Here is the level format should you wonder:
    http://treeki.googlepages.com/nsmblevelformat.txt

2. KINGOFNOOBS

Member KINGOFNOOBS GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I wonder if its possible to dump the current levels and edit them, or maybe perhaps add more levels without replacing current ones, maybe even add new worlds.. hmm

3. RyuKakashi

Member RyuKakashi GBAtemp Fan

United States
    sweet. hopefully this means we'll soon get awesome modifications like the good ol super mario world days

4. Mewgia

Member Mewgia drifter

United States
    Hmm, I'll check this out, maybe put my mind to the test and make some working levels or something...
    But first, food.

5. WeaponXxX

Member WeaponXxX Too F'in Blonde

United States
    Can't wait to see what you clever members do with this =)

6. Darigon

Newcomer Darigon Member

United States
    is it possible too edit mario and make him (some game character here)?

7. jesterscourt

Member jesterscourt Not Brad.

United States
    Sonic... Yes... Sonic!

8. 754boy

Banned 754boy :D

United States
    Looks interesting. Gonna give it a whirl and see what I can concoct [​IMG]

9. .TakaM

Member .TakaM .II

New Zealand
  10. Sonicandtails

Member Sonicandtails GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Ah, nice to see this is spreading so fast.

If you notice the credits, I'm in there. I speak with Treeki daily and know just about everything about the editor.
    Currently it can only edit existing levels and cannot move or edit enemies yet (Next update). You cannot expand levels either yet, but it is said to be coming soon as a fix for the CRC32 check was found and provided by another ROM hacker. If you want more information, head over to http://jul.rustedmagick.com/board/thread.php?id=244 and stay tuned for updates.

Also, tidbit, Treeki (Creator of the editor) is only 12. He picked up QBasic when he was 8 too.

If you want me to ask Treeki or answer anything else about the editor, shoot. I'm all ears.

(You cannot edit models either, don't ask that question)

EDIT: Also, Treeki may not be updating at that link provided in the first post. That message board has had a hard drive failure and with it's current downward spiral (Admins fighting and such, splitting for a third time, biggest drama after 8 years of the message boards life) he most likely will not be visiting there anymore. Use the link I have provided.

11. FAST6191
    OP

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    Thanks Sonicandtails, will do. acmlm has never been the nicest place anyhow.

As for models they are 3d, some work has been made on the area (there is some stuff on pokemon as well):
    http://tahaxan.arcnor.com/index.php?option...d=29&topic=40.0
    I have some stuff in the wings as well but I am 3 days into a crash openGL course so it may take a bit longer before stuff comes to fruition.

12. Sonicandtails

Member Sonicandtails GBAtemp Fan

United States
    If you find anything out that could possibly be incorporated into the editor (Model modifying) and would like to contribute, by all means help yourself to that thread! Apparently Treeki trusts me as his spokesperson, you'll be surprised how many places have already picked up on the editor that I have spoken at [​IMG]

13. .::5pYd3r::.

Member .::5pYd3r::. Viva La Pizza

Australia
    New Super Sonic Bros. would be awesome [​IMG]

14. Treeki

Member Treeki GBAtemp Regular

Gibraltar
    Hi, just thought I'd post here too [​IMG]
    I'm Treeki, I made this editor. I'm surprised how many places it's already been!
    Let me respond to a few things here.
    Modifying the players would be very hard. Mario and Luigi are 3D models (LZ compressed, too!) and editing them will be very hard (the guys over at Tahaxan forums only have a WIP model viewer, and that's it!)
    Why? First, the format isn't documented much. There's a lot of data which would need to be modified. Don't forget animations, etc. Don't expect to see model editing on DS games soon, or in my editor.
    I hope to rewrite it again in REALbasic when I completely figure out the TSA format and how to load graphics from the DS ROM. Why RB? Well, it solves quite a few things I didn't like in VB, and it's cross-platform! [​IMG]
    Well, I've gone a bit off-topic. The editor is going well (although I am lazy) and hopefully I will work on it enough to finish enemy editing soon! [​IMG]

15. 4ppleseed

Member 4ppleseed GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    This is great work. I look forward to playing some custom levels soon [​IMG]

P.S. 12 years old?? QBasic at 8?? haha that's great. I was still playing with my Lego at 12 and you're hacking apart and rearranging Nintendo games.

16. nephdj

Member nephdj GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    mine keeps crashing as soon as I start editting something [​IMG]

17. Heran Bago

Member Heran Bago Where do puyo come from?

United States
    Hey Treeki. Good to see ya here. You're getting popular in a lot of places now thanks to this. =P

18. Mewgia

Member Mewgia drifter

United States
    Please do it, I can't use the editor right now. I don't have Windows any more and it doesn't run under Wine ;_; (imma Linux user : D)

19. Treeki

Member Treeki GBAtemp Regular

Gibraltar
    Well, I'm now not sure if I will, since I tested it and it seems to not work with my unfinished NDS graphics code (colours from the palette are all wrong - yet a version of it in VB works fine). But I will see what I can do! Hopefully I can get it fixed.

20. WB3000

Member WB3000 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    This is very cool, and I'm sure that in time it will become even better, it would be cool to see the actual level with textures in the preview, or at least add double click onto the level preview as well, it took me a while to figure out that you need to double click the list item to access it's properties.