Hacking New Super Mario Bros. Wii

sKeEt

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm just going to ask this one question before I start trying all of these methods.

How can I get this game to load from the disc channel?

I have a softmodded 3.2u, installed ciosrev14 and both neogamma r7 & r8

I forgot what I used to remove the system updates from the disc channel. I think it was an old version of cioscorp

I recently made a backup of Darkside Chronicles which wouldn't load from the disc channel but at least it loaded from neogamma, unlike this game.

Julian017

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Wiikey 1 v1.9
3.2E
HBC, boot2, NeoGamma beta 8 (I believe version 8)
Patched ISO
IOS38-64-v3610

Works for me, I'm at world 3 at the moment. No freezes or anything (yet). Going to play again when I get home from work with my bro.

Cheers guys, this forum is the best.
grog.gif

Blue-K

No right of appeal.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
European said:
What should be done to avoid the update? Use BrickBlocker on the ISO?
Yes, sould be alright to use BrickBlocker. You can also use Startpatch or Preloader, if you don't want to remove the Update from the Disc.

Btw: Updating the first post...small changes, added a FAQ. Will add more questions there soon...

carbonyle

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Swaziland
Personnaly I don't like things like Brickblocker, patching iso: if you do so, your image will be trucha signed and you'll need trucha capable ioses.
Avoid update with Starpatch, Gecko OS, loaders
or: have an updated Wii

European

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
The guide says: "-Use NeoGamma R8Beta13 or above, cIOSrev14, place the included .wip-Patches in /NeoGamma, and enable "Search patches"." but it doesn't say how to use NeoGamma and cIOSrev14. Could you tell me how to use those programs? And where to install them, on the PC or the Wii? I have a Wiikey and the Wii version is 3.4E. I hear updating to 4.2 is bad, so I'd like to avoid it if possible.

carbonyle

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Swaziland
European said:
Is there any way for Wiikey people to get this to work without adding a homebrew channel?
Maybe, but haven't tested myself (coz I don't have chipped drive, but the idea come from me)

Mini How-to for modchiped wii, up to date (4.2)

- copy bannerbomb 4.2 on your sd (/private)
- copy gecko os to sd root (boot.elf/dol)
- copy ocarina cheat to sd (/codes)

Now go to your sd menu: it will launch bannerbomb, bannerbomb will run geckoos and theorically you'll be able to run NSMB, unpatched, without touching you NAND.

If it work give feedback

EDIT: no need to be 4.2 BUT: bannerbomb is faster to load (just on clic on sd menu) but you'll need an up-to-date IOS53 to run this game

KiiWii

Editorial Team
Editorial Team
Trophies
Website
defaultdnb.github.io
XP
Country
United Kingdom
sKeEt

I cant get this game to run via disk either. The guide says it will run via cioscorp, with ppf patch3es, but it 100% doesn't for me.

Iv tried cios rev 14 and 15, cioscorp 3.5, and (with rev14) every beta of neogamma possible. (to clarify: I dont want to run a .wip file via neogamma or anything like that, just pure put in patched disk and load via either neogamma > play from dvd, or through disk channel with cioscorp)

Apparently cios 249 rev 15 should fix that crash issue in cioscorp, but it didn't for me. (does the game HAVE to be burnt to a DVD+R booktype DVD-ROM to work on rev 15?

After I patched the game partition main.dol and burnt the .iso I get green screen (NG) or crash back to system menu (CIOSCORP)

The only thing I can think I need to get hold of IOS53-64-v with rev14 DIP.

We just need to be patient.

If someone could classify the exact setup for cioscorp (inc preloader enables/disables and whether they have used alternative dip patched cios'es), I would be much obliged.

edit: should clarify I havent tried dasrkside via disk channel yet, I'm asking about NSMB.

OnlineTuba

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
How I got it working on my soft modded 3.2e wii via the disc channel:

cIOSCORP V1.01 tbh I never have had the need to update the whole thing because all my games worked up till now, so I tried through all the neogammas available with cIOS249 rev14 but couldn't get it to work patched and unpatched ISO.

So what I did was install cIOS53-v5149 the one thats in cIOSCORP 3.5 then followed the guide to PPF patch my main.dol from my PAL SCRUBBED 380mb (the one that everyone thought was crap) and that seemed to do the trick played it for about a hour with no problems at all.

So my setup is:
PAL Wii SM 3.2e
Homebrew Channel installed
Preloader 0.28 (with skip disc undates enabled thats all)
cIOSCORP 1.01
cIOS53-v5149 from cIOSCORP V3.5
cIOS249 rev14
PPF PATCHED PAL version of NSMB the 380mb version.

What I will say about the PPF guide is follow it carefully, use wiiscrubber to extract the main.dol and make sure you are patching that and not the ISO because in PPF o matic it says select ISO but you don't want to do that you need to make sure that you select all files then find your main.dol, if you try to patch your ISO you will get an error.

Hope this helps.

Blue-K

No right of appeal.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
KiiWii said:
sKeEt

I cant get this game to run via disk either. The guide says it will run via cioscorp, with ppf patch3es, but it 100% doesn't for me.
-You have patched the main.dol, and not the ISO, right? If so, I have a theory that this patch only works with an unpatched/unhexedited ISO...but there are no confirmations, and I can't test it...so I need the help of the members here.

Iv tried cios rev 14 and 15, cioscorp 3.5, and (with rev14) every beta of neogamma possible. (to clarify: I dont want to run a .wip file via neogamma or anything like that, just pure put in patched disk and load via either neogamma > play from dvd, or through disk channel with cioscorp)
-NeoGamma --> Play from DVD works with the .wip Patches. Just enable "Search Patches" in the Config, select "Save Config", and next time, you only have to select play from DVD.

Apparently cios 249 rev 15 should fix that crash issue in cioscorp, but it didn't for me. (does the game HAVE to be burnt to a DVD+R booktype DVD-ROM to work on rev 15?
Nope, it won't...cIOSCORP has nothing to do with the IOS249. An IOS patched with the rev15 DIP would have to do something with cIOSCORP...but then, this should Result in an Error 001.
-Blue-K

KiiWii

Editorial Team
Editorial Team
Trophies
Website
defaultdnb.github.io
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yeh I patched the game partitions main.dol on both the scrubbed original release and an full 4.7 PAL untouched version.

I know neogamma loads it with wip patches, I'm not looking into this for me, I have been playing this quite happily from usb for ages now. I just need it to work via cioscorp. or through neo without any sort of patches or sd/files needed.

Good call on the rev15 thing, damn obvious, I didnt even think.

noabody

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Just to be clear, from what I am reading there is only one way to run NSMB on a hardmodded Wii without additional softmodding. I define softmodding as "ANY" change to Wii system files. AFAIK HBC/Gecko OS does not change any IOS's so they don't count.

Step 1, prepare an SD card with bannerbomb, Gecko OS, and Gecko cheat codes (optionally HBC, wadmanager, etc.)

Step 2, do any of the following to launch Gecko OS:
Use bannerbomb to install HBC then launch Gecko OS. (HBC opens the world of homebrew with minimal NAND usage)
Use bannerbomb to launch Wadmanager and install Gecko OS as a channel. (Gecko OS channel for minimal NAND usage and one step launching)
Use bannerbomb to launch Gecko OS. (direct launch of Gecko OS, NAND is untouched, use dedicated SD card e.g. no pictures)

Step 3, launch Gecko OS, do not install IOS53, enable ocarina and launch NSMB.

Obviously bannerbomb can be exchanged for twilight hack, etc. It's probably the easiest method though.
I just wanted to be sure that this is correct. I'd like little or no trace of homebrew on NAND.

European

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
"-Use NeoGamma R8Beta13 or above, cIOSrev14, place the included .wip-Patches in /NeoGamma, and enable "Search patches"."

I think I've gotten NeoGamma and cIOS on an SD, and I've installed the Homebrew channel. Now, how am I supposed to continue? How to enable "Search patches"? How to open NeoGamma and/or cIOSrev14?

3DPiper

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No matter what I do, I get the "exception dsi occurred" error..

I have a 320G USB hard drive full of games, using the latest homebew channel and USB GX loader.. Everything usually works great..

I have used the WBFS manager to copy the iso over the the hard drive, but no matter what version I try (original, patched, trimmed) when I start USBGX it locks up..

If I take NSMB off the hard drive, everything works fine again..

Could I have gotten a bad dump/download?

Thanks

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Que dices?