Hacking New Super Mario Bros. Wii (NSMB) on 4.3E with Wiikey v1 1.99beta?

reddragon105

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I recently dusted off my Wii and got back into playing it. I've never actually played New Super Mario Bros. Wii before, so I thought I'd give that a go. However, my backup won't boot. It shows up fine in the disc channel, but after I press play it almost immediately comes up with a message saying 'An error has occurred' and tells me to remove the disc and restart the Wii. All other backups are currently playing fine.

I have a PAL Wii that was bought in earlier 2007 and modded with an original Wiikey. The system software is up to date at 4.3E. Until I went to play NSMB the Wiikey's firmware was on 1.9s - which was the latest last time I played my Wii regularly. I realised that, since then, a new version has been released - 1.99beta - which adds support for NSMB, so I thought that was the problem.

However, after updating the Wiikey's firmware, the NSMB backup still doesn't work, just gives the 'An error has occurred' message.

From what I've read, including on this forum here - http://gbatemp.net/threads/new-super-mario-bros-wii.189802/
I should have no problem booting a backup of NSMB using a Wiikey if the modchip's firmware is up to date.

So what could be the problem?

If it makes any difference, I have also softmodded the Wii to add the Homebrew Channel, although I haven't really ever used that or anything else enabled by softmodding - I mostly just run DVD game backups. But could anything I've done during the softmodding process have stopped NSMB from working?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Bad burn, backup, source, region, dirty/broken lens.etc.

I strongly recommend doing a proper full softmod using modmii by xflak, and take a look usb loading.
It's faster, easier, complete,r and does not wear out you Wii lens.

reddragon105

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Bad burn, backup, source, region, dirty/broken lens.etc.

I strongly recommend doing a proper full softmod using modmii by xflak, and take a look usb loading.
It's faster, easier, complete,r and does not wear out you Wii lens.

It's definitely a PAL backup so it's the correct region, and I've tried making a couple more copies on different media at slow speeds and those copies don't work either. I don't think it's the lens because my Wii is still running everything else fine.

I would consider further softmodding, but I really don't use my Wii that much these days and right now this is pretty much the only game I want to play on it so I'd much rather it just booted the backup that I already have.
USB loading would be great, but I don't have a spare hard drive and, these days, if the laser did wear out it would be cheaper to buy a whole new Wii than a hard drive to put the games on!

I was reading about anti-piracy patches for this game - I shouldn't need to use one of those if an up to date Wiikey natively supports the game, right? But is there any chance a patch could help here?

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
It's definitely a PAL backup so it's the correct region, and I've tried making a couple more copies on different media at slow speeds and those copies don't work either. I don't think it's the lens because my Wii is still running everything else fine.

I would consider further softmodding, but I really don't use my Wii that much these days and right now this is pretty much the only game I want to play on it so I'd much rather it just booted the backup that I already have.
USB loading would be great, but I don't have a spare hard drive and, these days, if the laser did wear out it would be cheaper to buy a whole new Wii than a hard drive to put the games on!

I was reading about anti-piracy patches for this game - I shouldn't need to use one of those if an up to date Wiikey natively supports the game, right? But is there any chance a patch could help here?

Newer Wii CANNOT read burned backups.

To be honest, if you softmod your Wii you can also play burned games with NEOGAMMA.
BUT! NSMB is not really a problem game nowadays.
Get up to date with USB loading ( FYI you can also play games from SD card and USB stick.)
The obvious problem is your chip.

To do SAFE and PROPER softmod use Modmii to aid you in the process.
http://modmii.zzl.org

reddragon105

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Newer Wii CANNOT read burned backups.

To be honest, if you softmod your Wii you can also play burned games with NEOGAMMA.
BUT! NSMB is not really a problem game nowadays.
Get up to date with USB loading ( FYI you can also play games from SD card and USB stick.)
The obvious problem is your chip.

To do SAFE and PROPER softmod use Modmii to aid you in the process.
http://modmii.zzl.org

Okay, well by 'new Wii' I meant a second hand one off eBay, so I would make sure to get an older model with a working laser that I could transfer my Wiikey into.

Why is my chip the obvious problem? I thought it should boot this game with 1.99beta firmware?

I have also tried to load it from the disc using NeoGamma, as I already had that installed, but when I click on the NeoGamma channel it just loads to a black screen for a few seconds, then sends me back to the main menu. So it looks like there's something wrong with my installation. I'm currently looking into ModMii to reinstall all homebrew and bring it up to date and if I still can't boot NSMB from disc then, I will try putting it onto a USB stick or SD card as I do have some of those spare.

I'd still like to know why I can't direct boot though! It just bothers me when things don't work like they're supposed to...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over