new super mario bros vs kirby?

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by missfabb, Apr 25, 2010.

Apr 25, 2010
  1. missfabb
    OP

Newcomer missfabb Advanced Member

United States
    from experience, do you guys prefer kirby squeak squad/superstar ultra or new super mario brothers as a platformer of choice, & why? i know for some people its mario no competition, but i actually like kirby more.

2. Terenigma

Member Terenigma Terenigma everywhere

United Kingdom
    they are both great platformers but for me its kirby too i just find it more fun to play for longer. mario i can play but usually in short bursts whereas kirby i can play it for hours and not get bored.

3. Arnold Schwarzen

Member Arnold Schwarzen GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I enjoy both games but I gotta go with New Super Mario Bros. as it just feels more fun to me. I also realize I wasn't getting the full experience not finding all of the star coins (something I've recently started doing). The Kirby games aren't a bad choice either but I didn't feel the same enjoyment I got out of NSMB.

4. supervenice

Member supervenice GBAtemp Regular

United States
    where the hell is warioland on the ds??

and yeah--mario is for short burst of gameplay and i can play kirby for long hours too..i dont know why though...

5. prowler

Member prowler Sony

United Kingdom
    This.
    I can always find myself playing Kirby for ages (not the NDS Kirby games) and Mario for only a while.

6. granville

Member granville GBAtemp Goat

United States
    Wario Land has apparently moved onto consoles, the newest game is on Wii (great game too).

For me, here's how the games rank-

Kirby Super Star Ultra > New Super Mario Bros >>> Kirby Squeak Squad

Granted, i have a lot of nostalgic ties to Super Star, but i find it an overall better game. I like NSMB, but it's easy, short, and the bosses are boring and uninteresting. Super Star isn't that hard either (until the later games), but it always keeps me interested and the bosses are very fun and unique. Has some nice replay as well. Squeak Squad is probably one of the weakest Kirby games though. It's easy, short, and the ability system feels like a watered down Kirby 64 with ability mixing. The gameplay is just kind of boring too. Besides maybe Dreamland 1 on Gameboy (which was the first game and hadn't yet established itself in gameplay mechanics), Squeak Squad is the worst entry in the series. Still a pretty good game, but there are far better Kirby and DS games.