Gaming new super mario bros. 2 will be 40$ in eshop

Rasas

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yea I know it works with some devices, would be interesting to find out if it works on the 3DS. I don't have any other device that can make use of one, so I'm not really wishing to test it out myself.

Seems to work but then again I don't know Japanese and it could be fake. Most of the people online say sdxc won't work but I haven't seen much proof for their claims.

The Milkman

GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yea I know it works with some devices, would be interesting to find out if it works on the 3DS. I don't have any other device that can make use of one, so I'm not really wishing to test it out myself.

[media]http://www.youtube.c...h?v=kOsrXfIevqA[/media]
Seems to work but then again I don't know Japanese and it could be fake. Most of the people online say sdxc won't work but I haven't seen much proof for their claims.

Seems legit, and I mean that as in it really does seem legit.

Zombie_X

Trophies
Website
www.zombie-x.com
XP
Country
United States
Meh $39.99 for a digital download is too much!! I say it should cost half of the retail cart.

As for the SDXC, I have a 64GB card in my 3DS now and I only have 1GB used up. I ended up going with the class 6 model as class 10 was a ton more. Even $40 is a bit much for a SD card, but it's cheaper than buying from the tore directly.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States

*snip*

Checking my own 32GB SDHC card, I have around 209k open blocks, but I am currently using about 15% of the card, so it would have about 243K total blocks. I would assume then that a clean 64GB card would have about 486K blocks, so to see only about 327K open could mean the card is 33% used.

Vampire Lied

Resident sociopath
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Making digital cost as much as retail is foolish. At least to those of us that don't have to import. Then again, maybe it's nintendo's way of getting back at all the flashcart users. Sure, we got roms...$40 a pop. LOL Seriously, that's what it is in essence. Every digital download costs them nothing but bandwidth and whatever it takes to maintain the eshop. You aren't buying a game, just a copy. It hurts thinking you're just paying for a rom, doesn't it? Poor pricing or the ultimate piracy recoup? ;)

Reactions: 1 person

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
How much space is that gonna take?!
Couldn't be more than SM 3D Land (512MB ROM -- 311MB compressed). That game had full 3d landscapes whereas NSMB2 will be 2.5D.

My guess is about a 200MB (1600 block) trimmed and compressed download. People need not fret. :P

pokefloote

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, are we all expecting the file sizes to be comparable to the (unplayable, duh) 3DS ROMs that can be found online?
By that I mean 200-400 megabytes on average.

Thesolcity

Wherever the light shines, it casts a shadow.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So is it confirmed that these will be trimmed downloads? I mean, downloading a 2gb+ file will easily fill up that SD card of mine....

Seaking

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So is it confirmed that these will be trimmed downloads? I mean, downloading a 2gb+ file will easily fill up that SD card of mine....
no it is not confirmed. it hasn't came out yet, so we don't know.

i still find it funny someone slipped up and put up the price, good thing i took a picture of it :D.

chavosaur

Chavo
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Im already saving up my little eshop cards for this, though Im seriously debating between this game and paper mario. Paper Mario just seems like it will last MUCH longer then this.

Ace Overclocked

My CPU's hot but my core runs cold.
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
How much space is that gonna take?!
Couldn't be more than SM 3D Land (512MB ROM -- 311MB compressed). That game had full 3d landscapes whereas NSMB2 will be 2.5D.

My guess is about a 200MB (1600 block) trimmed and compressed download. People need not fret. :P
Wow, Makes the 3ds hardware look beast to use only 311 mb for such an amazing game...

VmprHntrD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Interesting but not surprised Nintendo would do that. I used to work on games a lot time ago and I know the general model hasn't changed. You still have most of the costs involved with the game if it's digital or not, but what is cut out is the packaging, printing(paper stuffs and the medium itself), and shipping. A digital game should go for around $5 if not a little more less but I guess if you can get away with it why not eh?

I see people arguing the benefit of digital over a real copy, and you're right, if you're lazy it's a boon as you just tap and play. The problem is, and especially with Nintendo and their childish backwater inane system of binding games to the hardware and not an account like Sony/MS do it a huge issue. Digital copies are just that, not real, and as such you're at the mercy of 'the system' the man or whatever you want to call it. Take a look at fairly recent history of Konami pulling Turtles games off digital download. If a company decides they've hosted a game long enough, or they don't want to re-up on paying for a license, or whatever other reasons the items get pulled. You then best pray you don't have a hardware failure, or how about if your system is outright stolen? Kiss all those hundreds of dollars or more in games goodbye. And even if they did have a system like PSN, eventually Sony would tire of keeping some 5-10 year old game up for sale and they'll erase it too, and if your hardware eats it, or you ran out of room but want to grab it again later...it's gone. With real media you have it until the piece of gaming storage(disc, card, cart) dies. I can go back and play a 1985 Super Mario Bros 1 game in 2012. Will I be able to come back and play my digital only copy of New SUper Mario Bros 2 in 2039 when I feel a nostalgia trip? Not a chance.

I've pretty much decided because I still have family in game making, that when in another decade they move towards going entirely digital I'm probably going to quit buying new gaming systems entirely. If I need a fix I'll have games from the NES through whatever to go through back libraries of tens of thousands of games to discover something new I missed. I'm not entirely anti-digital I'm good with the free and up to $15 type stuff, but I'm just not going to pay 'retail' values for a promise and a digital imprint.

Reactions: 2 people

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
So, are we all expecting the file sizes to be comparable to the (unplayable, duh) 3DS ROMs that can be found online?
By that I mean 200-400 megabytes on average.
I thought most of em were actually GIGS on average o.o At least the ones I've seen around that aren't in compressed folders.
Measurements for chip sizes are in bits, not bytes. There's 8 bits in a byte, so take the "*bit" falue and divide it by 8 and you'll see it's the same sort of size you usually deal with.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I hate these DIY furniture kits so bad