New Super Mario Bros 2 VS Super Mario 3D Land - Which is better?

Discussion in '3DS - Games & Content' started by ComeTurismO, Dec 24, 2012.

?

What is better

1. Super Mario 3D Land

50 vote(s)
    84.7%
  2. NSMB2

9 vote(s)
    15.3%
  1. ComeTurismO
    OP

Member ComeTurismO CTO

Canada
    You see.. Nah, im not gonna give the story, but i got a choice for this, tomorrow. What's better? Please explain why, too.

2. ShadowSoldier

Member ShadowSoldier GBAtemp Guru

Canada
    3D land. Very reminiscent of Galaxy, and just overall better level design and more fun.

3. TyBlood13

Member TyBlood13 Weeaboo Trash

United States
    you can't compare 2d and 3d mario games, but if you want length, go for SM3DL, if you want more of a short challenge (not that 3d land is without it's challenges), go for NSMB2

GamerzHell9137 likes this.
  4. ComeTurismO
    OP

Member ComeTurismO CTO

Canada
    I felt like that way too. I've realized that I've played so much rom edits of the game, and I feel kind of bored of it, probably would get it later.
    But what else is good about the game?

5. RodrigoDavy

Member RodrigoDavy GBAtemp Maniac

Brazil
    SM3DL is just so much better than NSMB2. Good level desings, fun gameplay and good use of the 3D effect make it a must buy!

6. dreampeppers99

Member dreampeppers99 GBAtemp Regular

Brazil
    I'm huge fan of Mario adventure/platform games (3d and 2d) and for the first time ever I had to look on gamefaqs to finish "100%" of a super mario (in this case NSMB2), the secrets, level designs and other are not pretty good as you will find on M3DL.

So, IMHO go with MARIO LAND 3D without a doubt !

7. McHaggis

Member McHaggis Fackin' Troller

United Kingdom
    Both games were a little bit disappointing, IMO, but go for 3D Land. It's certainly more of a challenge.

8. chavosaur

Reporter chavosaur Austin Trujillo

pip
    United States
    Honestly it depends on how you play either of them.
    if you go into those games with just a mindset of beating it, both are going to be short.
    Collection wise, 3Dland is the way to go. If you take your time, you can put some hours into the game.
    however, I honestly like NSMB2 more. The game can be stretched enormously if yoj focus your time into finding star coins without a guide, the level design is a bit simple but entertaining, and I would STRONGLY suggest it if you get alot of streetpasses and someone has the same game. There is a great sense of satisfaction in destroying peoples records in coin rush.
    and that would be my other point of this argument, is the DLC level packs. Theyre only for coin rush though, not the main game. However, if your the kind of gamer that likes to top high scores, you can get a lot of satisfaction from toppingg coin totals in coin rush. And some of the DLC packs are very challenging.
    Last note, both of the 3D effects are really good. 3D land is alot better then NSMB2 in terms of 3D of course, but NSMB2 does a decent job as well.

EZ-Megaman likes this.
  9. Zarxrax

Member Zarxrax GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I personally liked NSMB2 better. SM3DL is a great game, and some of the later levels are quite challenging. But once you finish, that's it. I find the coin rush mode and DLC content in NSMB2 quite fun, because you can keep trying to perfect your run and get better scores. I guess it depends if you are into that kind of thing though.

10. ComeTurismO
    OP

Member ComeTurismO CTO

Canada
    Alright then! SM3DL, here I come!
    ...Tomorrow.

11. mariofanatic64

Member mariofanatic64 The guy who does things

Australia
    I don't really know with this. I've always preferred the 3D Mario's to the modern 2D Mario's, and I LOVED 3D Land, but after the first playthrough, it lacks replayability which is something I usually love with Mario games. The repetitive use of the same levels over in the Special Worlds killed it for me.

NSMB2 is my favourite NSMB so far (I haven't fully played NSMBU yet so I can't judge it) because it pays the biggest homage to SMB3 since... well, SMB3. Plus, getting all the Star Coins is actually something of a challenge in comparison to 3D Land.

It feels wrong for me to say this, but I might actually prefer a 2D Mario over a 3D Mario this time.

12. GamerzHell9137

Member GamerzHell9137 GBAtemp Psycho!

Bosnia and Herzegovina
    I would choose NSMB2 cause i love the 2D Mario more then the 3D but meh, i'll get both :P

13. Hanafuda

Member Hanafuda GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    SM3DL is the better choice. You've already played a bunch of 2D Mario games, and NSMB2 is very good as the next entry in the series. But SM3DL is just a stunning experience for a handheld. And don't let anyone tell you either one is short on content ... if you play these games to 100% them, they'll keep you busy for some time.

Whichever you choose, enjoy it and get the other later.

14. TheDreamLord

Member TheDreamLord GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Ireland
    Honestly. If you're the type of reddit karma-whore, you'll love NSMB2, if you are a completionist, both are good.
    SM3DL has better level design, and is very reminiscent of Galaxy.

15. dickfour

Banned dickfour Banned

United States
    The problem with super Mario land is it's just too damn easy. New Super Mario Bros is more difficult. Still of I had to choose it would be Mario Land.

16. soulx

Member soulx GBAtemp Legend

Canada
    Well one is a 3D platformer and the other is a 2D platformer. You can't compare the two.

17. ComeTurismO
    OP

Member ComeTurismO CTO

Canada
    Alright, i've chosen Super Mario 3D Land, the description I get from all you nice people really worked for me, and I CHOOSE YOU! (POKEMON)

18. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    3D Land is better as the gameplay and level design feels more professional. Feels less "rushed" in terms of quality too.

Both games though are the only Mario titles that I'll never ever want to play again, not that they're bad, they're just pretty damn uneventful and the standard of Mario plattformers are far higher than what these games can offer. Both feel like that Nintendo are going through the motions and only made these games so that they'll have a 3D Mario title and a 3D Mario title on the 3DS. Had these had more time spent on them, they could have been a lot better but still better than most plattformers.

19. Jiehfeng

Member Jiehfeng The Moon over the Sun

United States
    3D Land cause it has awesome gameplay

20. tofast4u

Member tofast4u GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I currently have Super Mario 3D Land, and its not that easy if you want to 100% it. I am now trying to get NSMB 2, and in my opinion NSMB 2 is more fun because its a pick up and play game.