Gaming New Super Mario Bros. 2 receives 36/40 in Famitsu magazine

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While I'm interested in the Wii U game as it seems to have the more effort put in in terms of modes, features and also there is a slight change in graphics style (see the screenshots and pay attention to the backgrounds and platforms, shades of SMW there), this 3DS one for me seems to be the most uninteresting proper Mario game since...well since ever! The gold gimmick just does not sell me on this at all and from what I've seen of the level design the words "fan made" come to mind.

I'm still coming to terms with the overall "meh" feeling of 3D Land, I mean its a good game and all that but it had an extreme lack of challenge and not one part of the game made me think "oooh". At least NSMB Wii had some neat parts and the multiplayer was a lot of fun...oh and Yoshis! 3D Land is the only Mario platformer that I don't care about playing ever again.

The game doesn't seem to offer anything at all other then the same old thing but with more emphasise on collection gold...it would have been better if they did a Wario game like this. While 3D Land was Nintendo wanting to show that 3D can make a difference in a game (i.e. making it far too easy) this 3DS one just doesn't offer anything, it is clearly Nintendo cashing in. I really rather Nintendo took their time with their Mario games, they're going CoD with the main series and even have two platformers out this year! I'm sure they're hard at work with a 3D Wii U game but really I do wish they just slow things down.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Although like most kids that owned a NES, especially a PAL one, I have the first mario in muscle memory I never really got into the mario series (the games played/completed list stands at mario 64, sunshine which I really liked, some GB/GBC titles and I think I muddled my way through the DS NSMB although other than multiplayer I have no real memories of it) and as such new mario games have the same effect as new COD games in which I think they will probably be nice to those that like that sort of thing and produce a few interminable bores but I would not be broken up about not playing it. This said on later thought although the coins to blocks and blocks to coins approach had been done before taking it to this extreme could make for an interesting deviation from the norm and might see me pick up a controller.

@ pristinemog re coin effect- I was messing around waiting for a download yesterday and so started on some of the SNES games where there were several bonus levels that also did coin filling and it was not so bad. Of course they could still screw it up but there is at least a historical precedent for getting it right.

If we are sharing criticism of famitsu http://www.gamerevolution.com/features/famitsu-sucks has some interesting ideas buried in there and makes a nice accompaniment to the link already given (which I had not seen before and found pretty interesting).

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country
While I'm interested in the Wii U game as it seems to have the more effort put in in terms of modes, features and also there is a slight change in graphics style (see the screenshots and pay attention to the backgrounds and platforms, shades of SMW there), this 3DS one for me seems to be the most uninteresting proper Mario game since...well since ever! The gold gimmick just does not sell me on this at all and from what I've seen of the level design the words "fan made" come to mind.

I'm still coming to terms with the overall "meh" feeling of 3D Land, I mean its a good game and all that but it had an extreme lack of challenge and not one part of the game made me think "oooh". At least NSMB Wii had some neat parts and the multiplayer was a lot of fun...oh and Yoshis! 3D Land is the only Mario platformer that I don't care about playing ever again.

The game doesn't seem to offer anything at all other then the same old thing but with more emphasise on collection gold...it would have been better if they did a Wario game like this. While 3D Land was Nintendo wanting to show that 3D can make a difference in a game (i.e. making it far too easy) this 3DS one just doesn't offer anything, it is clearly Nintendo cashing in. I really rather Nintendo took their time with their Mario games, they're going CoD with the main series and even have two platformers out this year! I'm sure they're hard at work with a 3D Wii U game but really I do wish they just slow things down.
Exactly my thoughts
There haven't been a good handheld Mario platformer since the Mario Land on GB days.
Seems like nothing will change there, on consoles though the main Mario releases have always been solid, let's see how the Wii U game turns out.

Reactions: 1 person

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Famitsu scores mean nothing.

There's an interesting post about it,
http://forums.select...topic.php?t=476
You know what? I wish more publications were like that.
If they know what their fans are looking for, they know accordingly how to review the product they're looking at.

They give reviews from the fan's perspective and accordingly can give the sort of score a fan would.
If a company suddenly came out with a game that would actually be disdained by the fans, it seems more likely that they wouldn't give it a deserving score in the fans eyes.
It puts them on the same wavelength as the fans, it's a bit more mutual.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If they know what their fans are looking for, they know accordingly how to review the product they're looking at.

They give reviews from the fan's perspective and accordingly can give the sort of score a fan would.
If a company suddenly came out with a game that would actually be disdained by the fans, it seems more likely that they wouldn't give it a deserving score in the fans eyes.

So you'd rather be told what you want to hear than what you should hear?

Like I'm sure every Duke Nukem fan wanted to hear that Duke Nukem Forever was gonna be a great game, but reviewers realized it was a shit and couldn't just say what people wanted to hear. I want the people who review games to be acquainted with the series or the genre but I don't want them to be (or act) blindly obsessed with it so even if it is a dog turd they'll throw a high number at it because it hits the right fanboy notes.

Reactions: 2 people

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country

So you'd rather be told what you want to hear than what you should hear?

Like I'm sure every Duke Nukem fan wanted to hear that Duke Nukem Forever was gonna be a great game, but reviewers realized it was a shit and couldn't just say what people wanted to hear. I want the people who review games to be acquainted with the series or the genre but I don't want them to be (or act) blindly obsessed with it so even if it is a dog turd they'll throw a high number at it because it hits the right fanboy notes.

You've misunderstood me completely.
In fact, you've pretty much stated what I meant. Fans of the Duke Nukem series would want to hear that the game would disappoint its fans.

All I'm trying to say is that the reviews should reflect what the actual players of the games would say about it.
Let's say for example, the Megaman Battle Network series.
Fans of the series love the games, let's say 4 is about to come out.
Most reviewers would rate the game poorly because of a mostly unchanging formula. The fans would neglect these reviews because they know what to expect from the games.
But then if a review came out from the fan's perspective, and detailed why this game is bad even in the fan's eyes, how it betrays what made the series a fan favourite?

You see where I'm going with this?

Another example to really hammer it in.
Let's say that Dragon Quest X, all of a sudden, turns out to be real-time combat instead of the turn-based combat that the fans love. The game features less of the recurring elements that the fans love like all the known spells, tiers of weapons and armory, recurring abilities and monsters and so on.
The gaming journalists may review the game favourably, objectively, but the fans may hate it for not really being a Dragon Quest game at all.

There is so much more to a game being good than "Is this game good?" Part of what makes games good is that you can expect things from a defined intellectual property. When the next in an installment doesn't live up to expectations, the fans should know. When it hits the mark and does everything the fans would like, and more, the fans should know!
Battle Network 4 and Duke Nukem Forever are examples of games that would be scored negatively by fans and critics alike.
Battle Network 6 however would get negative critic reviews but actually be praised by the fans by delivering a satisfactory experience.

THAT'S what I'm trying to say.

Edit: I could go on further about how tons of critics reviewed Mass Effect 3 positively but fans of the series largely felt betrayed by it.

Reactions: 1 person

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: roms wont boot with wood r4menu