1. MythicalData

MythicalData GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    They do talk about Luka, but nothing that I would consider a spoiler.
    Almost everything they talk about becomes apparent upon sight/discussion of Luka.
    And that's for the og version not any of the later ones.
    So maybe spoilers for the first in a SUPER broad sense, but definitely not for the sequels like Elite

chartube12 likes this.
  2. antiNT

antiNT a.k.a Johnny El Pollo Loco

Qatar
    Elite isn't a sequel, it's a remastered version.

3. RedBlueGreen

RedBlueGreen GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Canada
    Oh boy, a Western live action adaptation, can't wait to see how they screw it up!

4. MythicalData

MythicalData GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    oh welp, other than that my points still stand lol (got it mixed up with the new pc release stein)

5. medoli900

medoli900 Open the Benzenes Gates

I always refered to Luka as a "Timesexual".
    They change sex depending of the attractor field. Their D-Mail is the cause of this. Okabe has to go out with woman Luka for some days so that Luka agrees to reverse the D-Mail, so that they become a man again. Okabe and Luka even have a child in Luka's route. I am not too sure about their real gender, as in, are they identifying as male even in their woman body, but I do know that they wanted to be a woman so that they could go out with Okabe.

6. BLsquared

BLsquared Game Programmer

United States
    Umm, cool?
    Did we need a sequel to 0 though?
    And do we really need a live action adaptation with the current climate of Hollywood? Hmm.
    I'm excited for more Steins;Gate, but... Hmm.. it's hard to explain. I don't know if we really need these? At least, until I can see them myself, I don't know what to think I guess.

Draxikor likes this.
  7. Pedeadstrian

Pedeadstrian GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.

United States
    Well, it would be nice for the story to end in something other than "Okay, we're in some weird dimension in space or something."

I don't know about y'all, but more Steins;Gate won't ruin my love for the original. Zero was... disappointing, but only because my love for the original hyped it up to be something it never was going to be. Also, Altered Carbon was dope. Season 2 coming soon! The live-action will probably suck but if it doesn't then score.

8. Torina

Torina GBAtemp Regular

France
    The Lukako arc was a pain, I fast forwarded it and it impacted NOTHING on the overall story.

I hate VN, but I tried this one and the sci-fi and engineer food is really interesting.
    Harem type story and tremendous stupid decisions (should be prodigy scientists ffs...) can sometime break the immersion but not a big deal.

Give it a try.

9. Ev1l0rd

Ev1l0rd (⌐◥▶◀◤) Developer - noirscape

Netherlands
    Well, this is interesting. To folks crying foul, remember that Castlevania got an anime on Netflix, and that was rather well received, so chill before you start burning bridges on the "propaganda" part (as though as things can be non-political... but I digress there).

As for Luka... let's wait and see how the character gets handled.

As far as the VN goes, Luka is written as a gay guy, who thanks to Japans negative stereotypes surrounding femininity and the like feels that their love for the main character isn't "correct" unless they become a girl, which the D-Mail they send to the past is for.

The translator for Steins;Gate (the official one, so no fantranslation stuff) elaborates on this here: https://ask.fm/SciADV/answers/134817454903

It's not an unusual situation for this kind of narrative to easily be construed as one that is transgender. Similar situations can be found in Persona 4 with Naoto, whose arc deals with similar notions of gender expectations (although not in a romantic sense) that have been construed by certain people as a transgender narrative.

Is it wrong to consider both of these? For Luka, I quite frankly can't say for sure. The anime (and apparently the dub is the worst offender) did manage to muddle the waters, mainly due to the fact that the anime just has less privy to a character's inner thoughts due to the difference in structure and the dub having a throwaway line about Luka wanting their genitals to match the feelings they hold about Okabe, which wasn't in the Japanese version. Really, for Luka, YMMV + how much you value the literary concept of death of the author when analyzing a work.

For Naoto, it is outright wrong, since it undermines and rewrites fundamental aspects of her character to fit this second read (as well as undermining parts about the concepts of shadow selves and Persona in Persona 4), but this reply isn't that much about her.

Will Hollywood handle this well or not? I quite frankly can't tell. Their track record on tackling these issues isn't great in both directions (Teen Titans GO's live action adaptation can be cited freely as "we tried and misunderstood how to deal with this properly" and there's little effort needed to dig up cases where Hollywood has opted to change a character's sexuality and sometimes gender expression from the source material to avoid offending the type of people that cry about PC culture run amok), but they've been on a better track record as of late soooo... I suggest you stash your pitchforks until we know more.

Ramble over.

Dr.Hacknik and Pipistrele like this.
  10. CielRaven

CielRaven Newbie
    Newcomer

United States
    I have to wonder if Michael J. Tatum will be in it. He does voice the American dub.

11. Enryx25

Enryx25 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Italy
    LMAO
    99% of visual novels have a white straight guy as the protagonist and many of them are hentai.

12. Pipistrele

Pipistrele GBAtemp Fan

Russia
    I see your points then, both on corrections and concerns about quality .u.

Though in my opinion, being worried about work becoming "too woke" (like some do in the thread) is in a way looking for red flags in wrong places. Firstly, when it comes down to it, works commonly blamed for influence of PC culture, like "Last Jedi", "Ghostbusters" or "Dark Tower" suffer much less from political agenda than, well, simply being badly written and mismanaged movies regardless of more left-leaning choices. Secondly, adaptations are adaptations, and sticking close to material isn't mandatory in the first place, with a many adaptations combining/adding/removing characters, changing plot elements, or using a different setting entirely (see Devilman: Crybaby or Megalo Box as two most notorious recent examples) - in hands of good writer, there's a lot of interesting stuff one can do with re-writing Luka as trans character, and such changes aren't inherently bad. Which comes to my point: one should worry primarily about story and directing not being shit, rather than arbitrary factors like "wokeness".

Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
  13. TunaKetchup

TunaKetchup GBAtemp Fan

Vietnam
    Instant Trash

Rewriting of the source material would be required to make it even passable

Its just not a very good story

Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
  14. myrsky

myrsky Newbie
    Newcomer

United States
    Personally, I'm more worried if they'll be able to do the story justice. Live action versions are pretty hit or miss, but I'll reserve my judgement until it comes out.

Pipistrele likes this.
  15. kumikochan

kumikochan GBAtemp Psycho!

Belgium
    Dont agree tho, erased was similar in that way and most thought a live action version would be bad but in my honest opinion it was one of the best live action adaptations i saw in a very very long time

Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
  16. xatzimi

xatzimi Member
    Newcomer

United States
    I, for one, am hopeful for a Western adaptation. One of my biggest hang-ups with the original was the Akiba setting and anime trope characters (Lukako, Faris) which wouldn't adapt well anyway. Transplanting the story to like LA or whatever, but preserving the far more interesting aspects like global conspiracy might be a refreshing change.

17. kumikochan

kumikochan GBAtemp Psycho!

Belgium
    If they can do a live play at a theater that was critically well received then i'm pretty sure they can also manage it with a live action. Even linking Kotaku their reviews despite me hating them because of their PC articles but despite it not being PC they gave it a good review wich suprised me. It just shows it can be perfectly done keeping true as much as possible to the anime without changing a single thing. People always claim that live actions aren't good if they do it completely the same as the anime or manga but here they clearly show that mindset is bullshit and so does the live adaptation of erased. I'm hoping they stay true to the source material and don't change much at all. It is a serious anime but it's also comedy 50 percent. Most replies i see want a serious adaptation while steins gate was never fully about that but brought it with a comedic note. If people want a serious version of that than they should make an entirely new story wich is similar like twelve monkeys wich is kinda a steins gate kinda series with a more serious note to it. Take the comedy away from Steins gate and you'll have quite a boring story. Steins gate was one of the best because it mixed comedy and serious moments well together in harmony. Without one or the other it just wouldn't work and wouldn't be steins gate at all. I get that most people don't get or see the comedy in it because of the japanese jokes that don't resonate with them as funny but it constantly does so and people who have lived or live in Japan recognise that constantly. Episode 4 timestamp 5:50 is Luka btw and she also does one hell of a job acting like her.
    https://kotaku.com/steins-gate-gets-a-live-action-play-and-its-terrific-1449852839

Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
  18. medoli900

medoli900 Open the Benzenes Gates

There's no mention of a sequel to 0. It's the Elite version, like they did for the original S;G.

19. BLsquared

BLsquared Game Programmer

United States
    Ah, my bad.

20. Dr.Hacknik

Dr.Hacknik Advanced Maniac | Dev | Trans

United States
    :thonk:

What does that have to do with anything?
    Play a game for the story or gameplay. Not for what the character is.

Oh they're trans, disgusting will not play.
    Like what kind of mentality is that? Just play a story telling game, for it's story lmao.

Ev1l0rd likes this.

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - announced, Steins, action