New Steam Refund Policy

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Tom Bombadildo, Jun 2, 2015.

1. Tom Bombadildo
    OP

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    steam.png

For a long time now, people were pretty...irked with Steam and their rather annoying lack of a refund process. People would have to jump through hoops just to get some steam credit for a purchase they accidentally made, and getting a refund on a game you simply don't want or something that didn't work was just impossible.

Now, Valve has announced a new policy that's similar to other online game stores; all games, regardless of reason, can now be refunded 14 days after the purchase date as long as the title has been played for less than 2 hours. Refunds apply to games, DLC, in-game purchases that haven't been used, pre-orders, bundles, and even Steam Wallet funds!

:arrow:Source

WhiteMaze, Mikesahhh, soulx and 6 others like this.
  2. blindseer

blindseer Past Generation Gamer

Jan 17, 2015
    United States
    Earth
    Well thats nice, so if you cant even run the game you have no where near 2 hours game time.

migles, nxwing and Tomato Hentai like this.
  3. DinohScene

DinohScene Feed Dino to the Sharks

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    Sweet, no more regret purchases anymore.

WhiteMaze, migles, Deboog and 2 others like this.
  4. Qtis

Qtis Grey Knight Inquisitor

Feb 28, 2010
    The Forge
    In many ways, about time. Valve is notorious for not fixing older games that should work *cough* Dark Forces 2 *cough* and are still sold today on Steam. If CD Projekt can make patches happen on GoG with a much smaller company, Valve should be able to do miracles.

migles, nxwing and Tomato Hentai like this.
  5. Ryupower

Ryupower Brood

Oct 8, 2007
    United States
    http://store.steampowered.com/steam_refunds/
    now WHEN you buy a game and THEN is goes on sales the next day you can get a refund then buy it for the sale price

6. Nathan Drake

Nathan Drake Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.

Jan 2, 2011
    Notice how this pops up a little over a week before the summer sale is supposedly going to begin. They want people to go out of their comfort zones and purchase more games. I get what you're doing, Steam. But really, this policy seems well planned out to prevent abuse. If you play a game for an hour and just can't get into it, no biggie. If you're like me on my old laptop and have a nasty habit of buying games you can't even open, at least you have a safeguard now.

nxwing and Tomato Hentai like this.
  7. Qtis

Qtis Grey Knight Inquisitor

Feb 28, 2010
    The Forge
    Or do like me. Buy a shitton of games before I even have a computer to play them with. Now with a modern rig, I have a backlog of thousands of hours of gaming time and I've probably spent less than $5 per game including games like Skyrim & Co :P

8. Tom Bombadildo
    OP

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    Ha, that's actually pretty great :lol: There have been tons of times when I've bought a game for two times a sale price right before a random sale, this will definitely help if that ever happens again.

Walker D, nxwing and Tomato Hentai like this.
  9. osm70

osm70 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 17, 2011
    Czech Republic
    What about purchasing a game, playing it for almost 2 hours, requesting a refund and then purchasing it again? If you keep doing that you have that game for free.
    I don't think that this system is well thought out.

10. Ryupower

Ryupower Brood

Oct 8, 2007
    United States
    read Abuse, that what that will be

dimmidice, nxwing and Tomato Hentai like this.
  11. Vipera

Vipera Banned

Banned
    Aug 22, 2013
    United States
    Away from this shithole
    Sure, try pulling this shit anywhere and see how it goes.

What about those who use Steam keys?

12. Attacker3

Attacker3 GBAtemp Regular

Mar 24, 2015
    Canada
    Underground, in my mother's basement.
    Good Steam. They are getting better and better each day. This refund policy will make purchasing things much easier for me, as I'm a guy that worries over every purchase.

nxwing, Margen67 and Tomato Hentai like this.
  13. Nathan Drake

Jan 2, 2011
    Yeah, I think you'd get a warning for the first time you did it, suspended from refunds after the second, and probably outright banned from receiving refunds the third time.
    They say in their policy that only games purchased on Steam will be refunded by Steam. I imagine this is first and foremost meant to protect against abuse of Humble Bundle games.

nxwing, Vipera and Tomato Hentai like this.
  14. Vipera

Vipera Banned

Banned
    Aug 22, 2013
    United States
    Away from this shithole
    Honestly, this is the only good thing I saw them doing. Origin and GOG have similar policies and have had then for years. There is still the problem of their support being trash and other minor stuff such as no client for Windows Phone.

15. Xabring

Xabring GBAtemp Fan

Nov 21, 2013
    Mexico
    Somewhere, Earth.
    awww yeah!no more wallet waste! this as close as renting a game can get these days! (of course, providing you DO have the money and time)
    and now, I don't even have to fear pre-release games! I never tried that pre-release shit except for splatoon, that thing is worth it!
    now 0 fear to 0 day bugs.

16. Nathan Drake

Jan 2, 2011
    To be fair, pretty much nobody cares about Windows Phone. It's not Steam's fault that you have one of the minority phone OS's.

17. Vipera

Vipera Banned

Banned
    Aug 22, 2013
    United States
    Away from this shithole
    We are still a couple million users though. Just ask for a price and you'll cover the costs in less than a week.
    I'm not sure about the Android app, but I remember it didn't get updated for years.

Walker D, nxwing and Tomato Hentai like this.
  18. Attacker3

Attacker3 GBAtemp Regular

Mar 24, 2015
    Canada
    Underground, in my mother's basement.
    Windows Phone is the Linux of phones. Iphones are the mac, Android is Windows.

19. Nathan Drake

Jan 2, 2011
    Valve is just really bad about updating the Steam apps. They took the most time off with the Android app for sure, but the iOS app has experienced plenty of wait time between app updates as well. Just not quite as long.

Also, two million isn't much when you consider that there is somewhere in the neighborhood of 1.5 billion users between Android and iOS.

20. blindseer

blindseer Past Generation Gamer

Jan 17, 2015
    United States
    Earth
    The iOS version just finally got updated, and its now completely broken for my ipad mini, so using the 2 year old version that still works. Steams phone app is just outdated and or broken no matter what platform of phone you use I guess.

nxwing likes this.