New SpaceWorld 1996 footage of the cancelled Earthbound 64 game has been found

A handful of interesting videos have appeared on a YouTube channel, thanks to a user by the name of kunkun kun, who has uploaded footage from Nintendo's SpaceWorld 1996 event. Shown within the video are pre-release demos of noteworthy Nintendo 64 titles, such as The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Star Fox 64, and perhaps most shockingly, the canceled Mother 3, or how it would have been known as in the west: Earthbound 64. At 10:30 into the video, we can see an incredibly early version of Mother 3 being displayed. The game would later return to further SpaceWorld events, even being playable for the public in 1999, where it was claimed to be "60% complete", though development would come to a halt during Nintendo's shift towards the GameCube, and Mother 3 would eventually find its footing as the game we know today, which released exclusively in Japan for the Game Boy Advance.

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am just glad that mother 3 was released on GBA as 2d graphic is timeless compared 3d
At the same time though cartoony 3d ages pretty well

The original Majora's Mask still looks pretty good today

Luke94

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
As I heard URA Zelda outside Japan could be named just The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time Master Quest.

Glyptofane

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am just glad that mother 3 was released on GBA as 2d graphic is timeless compared 3d
I agree. I think what we finally got as Mother 3 is probably closer to the game they originally wanted to make. Earthbound 64 would have been interesting, but probably was a literal disaster and they basically said the team had no idea how to go about making a 3D game.

Reactions: eriol33

Luke94

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
May I ask you who wrote this abandoned and forgotten EarthBound 64 only related blog? Is this fangame more like Quest 64 game modding? I heard this user was active in this very forum. Is his game project dead?
http://earthbound64.blogspot.com/?m=1 Anyway EarthBound 64/MOTHER 3 N64 was revived under development as open source freeware fangame thanks to user asdfuo90/jg productions and Garrett's Slice of Life is making eb64 models streaming on YouTube. There's also discord server dedicated to EarthBound 64. By the way I heard Satoru Iwata's son was once available on this forum,am I right?

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
If Nintendo really wanted to make a lot of money they would release a N64 Mini with a fully finished Mother 3 on it. Now that would be the biggest thing they ever did in the last few years

They could just update Mario 64 so it has at the fixes of the DS version, add Mario Kart 64, Smash Bros and ten games more and I would buy it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: