New Sony patent indicates possible trophy integration into all non-trophy titles

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Guild McCommunist, Mar 22, 2013.

1. Guild McCommunist
    OP

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    It's hard to believe, but many moons ago, Sony didn't have trophies, their answer to Xbox Live's achievements. These little nuggets are now rather taken for granted in gaming, but there's still the issue of having older games support them. Sometimes games will get a patch that adds them (like Metal Gear Solid 4) but its often costly and time consuming. However, Sony may have found a way to integrate trophies universally across a variety of game titles, from pre-PS3 trophy games like Resistance: Fall of Man and Heavenly Sword to even Playstation 2 Classics and PSOne Classics.

The new patent essentially detects disc access of games, and uses these as triggers for trophies. Previously, the game itself would need to be fiddled with to integrate trophy support, but with this method, games could support them seamlessly without altering game code or issuing a large patch.

While this doesn't specify the games it would support, this method would work for the pre-PS3 trophy games mentioned, as well as older games. And who wouldn't want some little awards for beating your classic games?

:arrow: Source

2. emigre

Member emigre Has complex motives

United Kingdom
    So yeah, fuck Sony. They're worse than the mafia with this news or something.

GameWinner and Guild McCommunist like this.
  3. Gahars

Member Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

United States
    Does it cost anything to implement?

I sure hope there's no tro-fee.

TehSkull likes this.
  4. Arras

Member Arras ★02

Netherlands
    Would that work for downloadable games as well? Also, because disk access implies loading of data, it seems like it would only be possible to give achievements like "reach area X" like this, not the typical "kill 100 dudes with grenades" or whatever.

5. Guild McCommunist
    OP

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    Presumably it would be a lot simpler than regular trophies but I think it would incorporate a fair amount.

Still, it's pretty neat to be able to have something so universal that it could do a lot PSX and PS2 games.

6. Veho

Global Moderator Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Croatia
  7. McHaggis

Member McHaggis Fackin' Troller

United Kingdom
    They stole my idea! Those bastards.

Wizerzak likes this.
  8. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    Just when I thought patent induced silliness could not get any weirder Sony go and up the ante. I think prior art basically counts as every cheat making guide and every ROM hacking guide that gets as far as tracing. Similarly available metadata used as a milestone marker... how is that not obvious?

On the other hand seeing people whine about a lack of such things elsewhere when Sony holds a patent would be endlessly amusing.

As nobody else went flamebait I supposed I had better say something like "trophments- they are a game for cunts". They are not harmless either- they seem to have rather impacted on cheats at large and that does not sit right with me.

9. Veho

Global Moderator Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Croatia
    I thought I did :unsure:

10. ferofax

Member ferofax End of the World

Philippines
    So... Sony is patenting a system that potentially involves romhacking and gamesharking techniques? I say gameshark because that's what set the standard for me when it comes to coded cheating. Some people would say game genie, some action replay.

Anyways, if my impression is correct, then Sony copying from hackers and cheaters? Except of course, Sony is trying to hack in a relatively good thing (trophies).

11. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    Techniques is perhaps not the best term, I would certainly not lead with it or even come from that angle should I be about to argue with a patent lawyer or judge.

Still

Gameshark and action replay, give or take a few better or worse capabilities in some platforms in some types of codes, are more or less the same thing. Game genies are traditionally a different style of code making in that they change the ROM itself rather than some memory values which are the domain of the gameshark/ar type devices and as such are made in somewhat different manners and potentially do a lot more. The game genie name was sold a few months back though and DS AR codes could change the binary (code the processor sees) by virtue of it being in writable memory (just as difficult as traditional game genie and potentially quite powerful- it is basically an assembly hack).

ROM hacking... tracing is the name of a technique which involves seeing what sits where in a ROM image by following things back from the RAM through any decompression and manipulation right back to the ROM/ISO/whatever. Given modern consoles tend to kick this to a hypervisor of sorts that and/or have things running in the background during play that is not so troublesome to monitor. Just for giggles and as I had the game on my mind- Resonance of fate includes an achievement when you have loaded a give amount of data from a disc.

To round up I guess I should also mention save data- another area most ROM hackers are versed in and I am sure we have all seen a summary and stats section in a save in a game at some point.

I would then hold any halfway accomplished ROM hacker could get something to set off a light (see also "breakpoint") when a given level was fiddled with (as level 5 is loading you have just finished level 4....), likewise if a game like dynasty warriors has a kill counter on screen then the "trophment gained - 100 kills in a combo" is theoretically not a lot different to implement than an infinite lives/health cheat (there is still going to be a value of 100 decimal somewhere in the memory). Similarly a save probably counts how many bullets have been fired for whatever reason so that works too though such a thing is probably held in memory.

Perhaps most amusingly the more than token online (played a game with a dev or one that played with a dev or..... and such like) trophments might be harder to implement with such a system and if I must have called some trophments halfway valid it would probably have been those.

For my money most of that is both obvious and with mountains of what could reasonably be considered prior art- there might even be some proper prior art but I must confess to being behind on my history of token achievements in games.