New Sonic game prototypes found by drx, shows early stages from Sonic CD, more to come

MEGADRIVE_GAME_SPECIAL.2019-09-13_19.39.25.png

For game preservationists and Sonic the Hedgehog fans, the tail-end of October has been a very interesting time. Hidden Palace and The Cutting Room Floor, two websites dedicated to cataloging beta versions of video games or unearthing cut content, have partnered up for a series of documentation on newly uncovered prototypes for old Sonic games for the SEGA Genesis, CD, and Game Gear. The first to be revealed was a 1992 tech demo for what the Sega CD could do. A day later, on October 26, 8 pre-released versions of Sonic CD were dumped for the very first time, letting us learn more about Sonic CD's developmental process. One of the builds is from December 4, 1992, nearly 9 months prior to the game's official release, making for the earliest known prototype of the game. This includes a very early version of Palmtree Panic, which according to the title card, was called Salad Plain Zone. More of these prototypes are set to be shown in the coming weeks, with livestreams slated for November 2, 9, 10, and 16th.

DARK_WIZARD.2019-09-02_13.16.01.png CD_SONIC_.2019-09-02_14.17.36.png CD_SONIC_.2019-09-02_14.27.08.png 611px-CD_Sonic_0.28A_Front.png
:arrow: Source

Ericthegreat

Not New Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's also a new remix of Palmtree Panic Past!

Wow it's better then I thought.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Nice, I find betas interesting for some reason, its a shame more games don't see beta content leaked like this or better (e.g. hl2)
A lot of this old stuff is lost, the companies went under or were bought out and the floppys/old PC's with the source code died or were thrown in the trash. (Or are hiding in a developers closet/attic)

YukidaruPunch

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Salad Plain Zone is a fantastically stupid name, but let's be honest: after Genocide City Zone in the Sonic 2 Beta, there's just so much lower one could go.

(I'm aware it's part of the devs not having English as a primary language and just going with whatever sounds cool, regardless of whether it made sense or not. It's just one of those things of the time.)

I adore the Mega Drive era of Sonic so I'll look into this more carefully later. Anyways, great find.

EDIT: Jesus Christ, that Stardust Speedway background is creepy. It fits with some of Sonic CD's hidden weirdness. They definitely were going for a weirder vibe during the beginning of the development, that's for sure!

Last edited by YukidaruPunch,
Reactions: souhukyafod

ChaosEternal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Meanwhile, founder of Traveller's Tales, Jon Burton, have been posting on youtube unused Sonic 3D Blast music samples.
His channel is so cool. I've never seen another old-school developer provide such direct insight into the development process of their games.

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
If they had gone with the name it would have been changed to "Salad Plains".

I dunno why Japan has such low standards to teaching English but it just does.

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
If they had gone with the name it would have been changed to "Salad Plains".

I dunno why Japan has such low standards to teaching English but it just does.

It's likely similar to the Genocide City naming.

Someone likely just looked up words they thought would describe the intended theming and put it in e.g. Green plants == Salad.

I barely remember my French lessons from school, so I'd likely be doing something similar albeit with Google Translate.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    maaaaan that's so awesome but I also don't want to fork over a hundo for it
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Leo could not withstand communism.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Its OUR products to begin with lol.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Its OUR products to begin with lol.