New SNES Title On the Way in 2013

saberjoy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
India
Most Nintendo gamers are currently pre-occupied with their current consoles and perhaps looking ahead to the arrival of Wii U. It's surprising, therefore, to hear about a new title for Super Nintendo, but that's exactly what is on the way.

large.jpg

Retro developer and publisher Super Fighter Team has confirmed that it is currently developing a brand new SNES title called Nightmare Busters, due for release in 2013. According to the developer this will be the first new game released for the platform in the U.S. since 1998. Described as a 'run and gun' title, there has been such demand that not only has the company decided to accept pre-orders, but is also boosting the initial run to 600 copies, double the normal first batch. Citing production costs as a factor, the game will cost $68 dollars for U.S. customers and $75 for the rest of the world.

Source:http://www.nintendol...the_way_in_2013

75 dollars!

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
maybe most of you are to young to remember, but i can recall paying over $60 for a few SNES games when they were released. most were over $50. you have to consider that this is a homebrew project and they are going to have to do everything, as in make the game, debug it, burn it to the chip, get the hardware manufactured, put it in a shell, make the box and instructions, etc. $68 for US customers doesn't sound that bad IF the game is fun.

-another world

Reactions: 3 people

loco365

Trophies
XP
Wait. This is the kind of SNES game I can go buy in stores? Or is it online-only? I would totally want the chance to buy a brand-new SNES game off a store shelf. That would be amazing. /rant

Edit: Nope, Still, a new SNES game is pretty damn cool.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Wait. This is the kind of SNES game I can go buy in stores? Or is it online-only? I would totally want the chance to buy a brand-new SNES game off a store shelf. That would be amazing. /rant
Seeing that the innitial run was supposed to be 600 copies then it's natural to assume that you can only order it online. :P

An interesting idea, definatelly. The price is hefty for today's standards, but I can undestand why. Afterall, they had to figure everything out themselves, get cartridge molds somewhere, create their own PCB based on an original one etc., surely there was alot of reverse-engineering and research going on there.

What does make me wonder is why they didn't also opt for a digital distribution option? It costs virtually nothing and people who wouldn't be able to afford the cartridge could just buy that instead and still enjoy the game.

saberjoy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
India
What does make me wonder is why they didn't also opt for a digital distribution option? It costs virtually nothing and people who wouldn't be able to afford the cartridge could just buy that instead and still enjoy the game.
then they would have lost the *charm factor* if they went all things digital, they might as well would have just released this as a homebrew but they went the extra mile to make it as unique/nostalgic as possible. gutsy move if you ask me B-)

Reactions: 1 person

syko5150

GBAtemp Syko!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
maybe most of you are to young to remember, but i can recall paying over $60 for a few SNES games when they were released. most were over $50. you have to consider that this is a homebrew project and they are going to have to do everything, as in make the game, debug it, burn it to the chip, get the hardware manufactured, put it in a shell, make the box and instructions, etc. $68 for US customers doesn't sound that bad IF the game is fun.

-another world
I remember when some stores were selling NES games like The Legend of Zelda for $80-$100 because it was such a high demand game. Back then stores would raise the price on a game based on how popular it was. Now everything is a set price and lowers substantially as time passes, and people still complain about the prices lol.

elgarta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wasnt there a NES game released last year or 2010?

There was a megaman game released around that time which was made with NES style graphics, but afaik it was a digital download for the 360 or PS3. Im not sure if it was made using the game engine/whatever as the old NES ones or whether it was made like a modern 2D game but just had the graphics in 8-bit, but from what I hear it was faithful to the original few games

RchUncleSkeleton

Skeletron 9000
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
might get this game when released i still have an snes
this was a unreleased game.
you can see what it looks like on youtube.

[media]http://www.youtube.c...h?v=F1wAEDRD2wE[/media]
If this is a homebrew project then why is there a Nichibutsu Logo and a copyright of 1995?
Also the graphics look decent for an SNES game but the premise and the music are pretty horrible.

Looks like this game was already released as Flynn's Adventures in 2004 for mobile phones. http://www.gamespot.com/flynns-adventures/reviews/flynns-adventures-review-6105573/

There was a megaman game released around that time which was made with NES style graphics, but afaik it was a digital download for the 360 or PS3. Im not sure if it was made using the game engine/whatever as the old NES ones or whether it was made like a modern 2D game but just had the graphics in 8-bit, but from what I hear it was faithful to the original few games
perhaps you're thinking of megaman 9 and 10 which were both released on PSN, XBLA and WiiWare IIRC. Also there was a homebrew game that was released in 2009 called Battle Kid: Fortress of Peril, which was basically a tougher than nails megaman-esqe game with death traps that hint at famed homebrew game I Wanna Be The Guy.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BigOnYa, doesnt the game have a campaign mode?