New SNES cart. Cheap. Runs all special Chips

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
Next experiment: Yoshi's Island with no cart in the top - black screen. Yoshi's Island with original Yoshi's Island in the top - gets to the Nintendo screen and does that black flicker thing when you reset the console and hangs.

indask8

New Member Forever
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I thought sram was for savings games rather than using as "ram"? All other games are using the Super UFO's built in sram, presume if the plug through actually worked it would just be using the chip. Surely if it used the donor carts sram then you'd wipe the original cart's save?

SFX games uses the cartridge built in sram as a framebuffer (and maybe to hold parts of the program, variables etc...), this is why doom has a sram chip even if it doesn't have a battery to hold the data or a save feature inside the game.

Maybe trying SFX2 games is a bit too much, this thing is just out so maybe it's not compatible yet (or was never intended to play SFX2) ,trying a SFX1 game is maybe a better choice to start (Starwing/Starfox, Stunt Race FX, Dirt Racer, Dirt Trax FX, Vortex... are all SFX1).

pyromaniac123

ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็(ಠ益ಠส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็
Trophies
XP
Country
@[member='BlueStar']
What do you mean you're not getting a refund from the person who sold you a snes?

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
Oh, she was being a bitch and ignoring me, then giving excuses. eBay resolution centre refunded my payment.

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
Is there any program that can quickly pad out a file with zeros to a certain size, without me having to manually do it with a hex editor?

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
Never mind, found one. Generally, it's pretty good although the menu is rather, uh, archaic. Anyway, the main thing I'm wondering about is the roms it refuses to load. It's very finicky about any non-clean roms. I've not been able to run anything with an intro, a trainer, or any scene demos (which is a shame, because I love cracktros). The same is true for most fan translations. However, anything that's been hacked and translated by AGTP (http://agtp.romhack.net/) runs perfectly. I'm trying to work out what exactly it is about AGTP hacks that allows them to run on my Super UFO, in the hope of modifying other fan translations in a similar way. Does anyone have any idea? I've tried fixing headers and CRCs and padding to standard rom sizes (all the ATGP translations are nice normal sizes) and I've had no joy.

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
OK, I've worked out the general rule for if a translation/cracktro/trainer version of a ROM will work - if it's exactly the same size as the original. I've tried padding out the oversized ones to the next valid mbit size, but they still don't work. I'm assuming this is because the header still lists it as an 8mbit rom, when the filesize shows it's a 9mbit rom or whatever and so the copier doesn't know how to handle it. The next thing I wanted to try is editing the header so that it shows a om size which is equal to the filesize, but the only program I can find to do that is SNES Explorer, which I can't get to work on Windows 7. It gives me the error that comdlg32.ocx can't be loaded or registered, even when I've installed the VB5 runtime and registered the comctl32.ocx file that came with it. Are there any other programs that can change headers?

EDIT: Aha! Got it. Used Snes Stuff 1.2.1 to expand the rom to a valid size and then add a new header and I've managed to get a load of cracktros running I wasn't able to before. Hopefully this means I can get some previously non-working fan translations up and running as well.

Reactions: 1 person

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks, I'll give that a go as well. I've been using a variety of tools because I've not found one that does everything I need, so it'd be handy if I could get one that does everything

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
OK, back on topic I've sorted out the plug-through system and got it working with some games. I guessed that the game would need to be loaded into dram first and run in hypermode on the assumption that there will be some on the fly patching going on to make it use the chip in the original cart. However, it seems like the region matters as well. I was trying to play Mario Kart by loading it into the dram directly from my (pal) cart and it was crashing as soon as it tried to render anything mode7-y with help from the DSP chip. Tried the NTSC version instead, and it works. I've also managed to get the (J) version of Super Air Diver 2 and the (U) version of Final Stretch working with Mario Kart plugged into the top and the same method of loading it into DRAM and playing in hyper mode rather than just launching it off the SD. No such luck with Pilotwings though.

OK, ignore all that. I've got the plug through for DPS plug through working with Mario Kart (U and E), Super Air Diver 2 (J), Final Stretch (U) and Pilotwings (U but not E). No need to load into DRAM or run in hyper mode.

I've just bought PGA Tour 96 off ebay because it was the cheapest SA-1 cart I could find over here, so I'll test that with some of the Kirby games and SMRPG. I've already seen a video of someone on youtube being able to play Megaman X3 with an X2 cart in the top, so it looks like CX4 support is there as well.

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
OK, ignore all that. I've got the plug through for DSP plug through working with Mario Kart (U and E), Super Air Diver 2 (J), Final Stretch (U) and Pilotwings (U but not E). No need to load into DRAM or run in hyper mode.

I've just bought PGA Tour 96 off ebay because it was the cheapest SA-1 cart I could find over here, so I'll test that with some of the Kirby games and SMRPG. I've already seen a video of someone on youtube being able to play Megaman X3 with an X2 cart in the top, so it looks like CX4 support is there as well.

What about games with SuperFX chips? Yoshi's Island, Starfox 1, Stunt Race FX? They still require having 1 cart using this chip?

edit: nevermind I've just read the OP quote. It should work as long as you have one game having the required assisted chip

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
Yoshi's Island uses SFX2, which is not listed as supported in the manual. The only other game to use that chip is Doom. I've not been able to get either Yoshi's Island (title screens work, crashes in game) or Doom (black screen) to work with an original Yoshi's Island cart in the top. I've bid on a copy of Starwing as well, so I may be able to test SFX1 support.

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
OK, SA1 tests with PGA Tour 96 - only rom I can run with this plugged in the top is PGA Tour 96, all others black screen

EDIT: Yep, same with SFX, with StarWing in the top they blackscreen apart from StarWing, which works and Stunt Race FX which has corrupted graphics.

mooglazer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm pretty happy with the Super UFO Pro 8 so far, not entirely disappointed with the lack of special chip support (for the price, though mine was gifted to me).
  • 8.3 filename limit is annoying
  • Startup music is annoying
  • Interface is really terrible
  • SD Card *must* be formatted FAT32
  • Documentation is terrible
  • Single SRAM slot -- potentially VERY BAD (if you're not careful) - manually back up to SD often!
Convert your emulator SRM files for this device using:

Code:
ucon64.exe --pad -ufos YOURFILE.SRM

It stinks like burned plastic when you first open it. No real need to ever use the USB connector, so don't bother with it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    I @ idonthave: :)