OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Ok so my card arrived today!!.....

Here's My review ...

note:- (LOTS OF IMAGES to follow so dial up users BEWARE may take some time loading!!!)

First a couple of screen shots

FRONT of card in package

lkz6zcel60lyfjv5d2kw.jpg

BACK of package

wdns1n3ksok0u795u7k1.jpg

Unboxing the card it looks pretty much the same as most other SLOT 1 type cards the build quality is pretty good so far solid front and

back no dodgy sticker over any chips aka R4 clone ...

Although before even testing this I know YES its another R4 clone, I have been given the information that its made by some of the

ORIGINAL R4 team apparently!?

FRONT of card

edcap0s5wsrxe5j81dnk.jpg

BACK of card

ehxgnq9pgjzaayxgraqv.jpg

Instructions for use on the 3 fold card inlay that comes in the package

lx3wki0eo6y14y9lk4kg.jpg

Back of instruction Inlay

ijaggje61tnjamjxwxt.jpg

Close up of information on back of pack

x3o2yaojngrxgylhyee.jpg

Close up of Instructions (in 3 parts)

7ah9ln8h7vra19w30ryj.jpg

Middle

3gmv3jwk8ass0cqa8.jpg

Bottom

l44gyerclkovpprk7yr.jpg

You will notice that its practically the same as the information from the R4 website but as mentioned above this is because part of the R4

team are working with/on this card apparently!

OK now on with the BUTCHERING erm OPENING of the card!

Its screwed together much like its predecessor the R4 so a mini screwdriver is all it takes to crack it open
smile.gif

so here it is the MAIN BOARD (front + rear)

rmzi4w231l3095ybr72k.jpg

Main Board front

9oquf5eolvnxm8kj.jpg

note the main board looks nothing like the R4

you will note it has 2 clearly visable square small chips whereas the R4 has just 1 (see r4 image below)

R4 BOARD for comparison

r420boardmn9.jpg

another shot of NPLAYER disassembled

q97uhrak74jhmhumk8ig.jpg

OK enough with the destruction ....(quickly bolts its all back together)

onto the testing ...

For this test I will be using a spare 1gb Kingston micro sd that I happen to have lying about on my desk
smile.gif

download of the latest NPLAYER kernel can be obtained from ..

http://www.ndsplayer.com/

current version at time of testing is version 3.02

Finishing Date?2008-9-27 (guessing finishing date means release date)

loading the NPLAYER it boots and looks exactly like the R4 and its MANY CLONES

anzplr9hg4sakp9e9p.jpg

and as such the themes are fully compatible YAY!!! good news if you already have a load of R4/M3 simply themes
smile.gif

it has the USUAL game icon/media player icon/ slot 2(gba) icons

bwp2pc6fx0e34ou92fd.jpg

games TESTED ..

MARIO KART - PASS wifi play PASS - Download play - PASS

POKEMON DIAMOND - PASS - wifi PASS + GTS pass - DS to DS PASS

POKEMON PEARL - PASS - wifi PASS + GTS pass - DS to DS PASS

CARNIVAL GAMES (known to fail on R4) - PASS

INCREDIBLE HULK (known to fail on R4) - PASS

DRIVING THEORY TRAINING (known to fail on R4) - PASS

IMAGINE TEACHER (known to fail on R4) - PASS

SONIC CHRONICLES DB (known to fail on a few cards inc R4) - PASS (note needs latest Nplayer 3.02 kernel)

UNKNOWN SOLDIER MOKUBA (JAP) - PASS

ZUBO - PASS

Homebew tested

UsrCheatUp - PASS but ...same problem as R4 missing cheats (cheat file too large) so use the UE cheat file from NARINS cheats and it

will work ( helps if you edit .ini file to point to UE cheat file)
wink.gif

UAPaint - PASS

Bunjaloo 0.7 - PASS

Phidias - PASS

Lameboy 0.11 - PASS

everything I threw at it so far WORKED
smile.gif

It kicks R4's backside that's for sure all games to current date WORK using NPLAYER 3.02 kernel file!

My thoughts ..

YEP its ANOTHER R4 CLONE .. but THIS ONE WORKS with everything so far!!!

Its also getting UPDATES that the R4 sadly misses .. along with the fact this is SDHC too as an added bonus!

If you upgrading but like the R4 you had before ... then maby this is the card to replace it
smile.gif

YES other cards have better features and yes this is a clone but IT WORKS it does what it says it does like most other cards out there it

plays what you need it to play!

SCORES ON THE DOORS for the NPLAYER

I give this 8 outta 10

It could of had a different menu to make it stand out amongst the R4 CLONES but .. I suppose if its not broken WHY FIX IT .. the menu

works and is no nonsense .. no fiddly messing with extra settings and if you once owned or still own an R4 then this is NO different it looks

the same and works the same ONLY BETTER lol
smile.gif

Other functions are the same as R4 too middle button is still MOONSHELL and 3rd button is still GBA/SLOT 2

Guessing also this can be patched to use YASU MENU but real need at the minute as this kernels getting the badly needed updates that

the YASU menu is being used to replace
smile.gif

overall my FINAL thoughts ... its an R4 CLONE it plays ROMS/HOMEBREW/DPG etc and works with current releases .. that's what

people need to know!

prices .... around £22 GBP ($35,64 USD) (27,95 € EU) Other places may vary in price but about same price as R4 cards

Note these are MY VIEWS THOUGHTS and images etc yours may differ along with other reviewers!
lastly ....thanks goto ..
01shlogo100x9308102zn7.gif

shop.01media.com (who are now stocking the NPLAYER)

as they are the NPLAYER official distributor for Europe (Wholesale prices are available)
smile.gif

Thanks for supplying my review sample cheers guys!

Update .. forgot to test this with my EZFLASH 3 in 1 card doh!

Tested using Rudolph's Gba-ExpLoader 0.57 and GBA rom Mario Advance - PASS

...works great no worries at all loading it to the 3 in 1 and booting from within Gba-ExpLoader.

Pressing Start button takes it back to the NPLAYER menu and once a GBA rom has been loaded to the 3 in 1 you can boot it via the

NPLAYER menu option Boot Slot-2 icon in the same way you can load proper GBA roms

Tested Opera DS Browser with the 3 in 1 RAM setting (load Gba-ExpLoader and select Expansion Ram option) it will reset the ds back

to NPLAYER menu and then you can then load the Opera DS Browser and use it with your wifi.

edited to rehost images!

ozzymud

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That was the 1st thing i noticed when i saw the motherboard... it looked identical to my R4-III...

then the firmware having R4III in its code...

then the support file .... _NDONE__.DAT

Votkrath

Trophies
XP
Country
The sad part is that soon there will be many threads with people needing help with their NPLAYER. How come they will found such cards at all? What makes does people choose this kind of cards when there are better cards at same price that I'm sure they would have found before this one.

enarky

owls?
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
Minox_IX said:
kobykaan said:
dsc002401vx3.jpg

It does look a lot like the main board of R4DS III though:
05.jpg
C8 is much farther on the left and there's no R7 on the R4DS III.
biggrin.gif

Ahem, I don't get why people buy these clones either. They could have an Acekard or a DSTT for most likely nearly the same price.

Oh, and about the R4 crash, I knew this would happen. All flashcards M3 is involved do. But try to talk against a total overhype - you'll look like a nutjob. Noone seems to get, for what reason ever, that it's always the same with M3 products. They get released, they get hyped, they sell pretty good for a while, successor with marginal changes gets introduced, original gets dropped.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
enarky said:
Minox_IX said:
kobykaan said:
dsc002401vx3.jpg

It does look a lot like the main board of R4DS III though:
05.jpg
C8 is much farther on the left and there's no R7 on the R4DS III.
biggrin.gif

Ahem, I don't get why people buy these clones either. They could have an Acekard or a DSTT for most likely nearly the same price.

Oh, and about the R4 crash, I knew this would happen. All flashcards M3 is involved do. But try to talk against a total overhype - you'll look like a nutjob. Noone seems to get, for what reason ever, that it's always the same with M3 products. They get released, they get hyped, they sell pretty good for a while, successor with marginal changes gets introduced, original gets dropped.

r4 team and m3/gba alpha team arnt connected

enarky

owls?
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
Joe88 said:
r4 team and m3/gba alpha team arnt connected
That's what they say and it doesn't really matter. If they really are seperate M3 at least got the sources to the R4 Firmware and could continue to support that. They also had enough leverage to not only let R4 produce a custom version of the card, they also got it changed once people found out how to hack it.

And doesn't it seem... interesting... that both entered the market practically at the same time? That they're called R4 and M3 (EDIT: to really appreciate that fact you have to know that M3 previously produced the GBA Movie Player and GBAMP2)? IMHO R4 was just planned as the chinese front for M3. Things got changed once R4 was practically the synonym for NDS flash cards.

Do you see now where the "talk about it and people will think you're a nutjob" is coming from?

gosp

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Italy
R4 and M3 used to be connected. It even said so on their website. Now, however, I'd say it's not so, or the R4s might be doing a little better.

I'm guessing that M3 Real mark the schism.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over