ciaomao

Well-Known Dude
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
1DD27C2A-6570-4082-89DF-1E9E3A10DED5.jpeg
It was a lot more fun to replace the original shells as expected. now I understand much better why N asks for such a crazy price. but hey, I am very happy with the result. I love my new digi controller. But as said by many before, it is no easy job for starters.

Last edited by ciaomao,

fadx

Filthy Cheater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I have the blue transparent shells for my switch and joycons they look great. It's just a shame that the moulding is a bit off so I had to shave some on the housing down with a knife to have the joycons lock and also had to shave another piece of the housing to have the right joycon not bulge.

EDIT: For anyone that gets the shells and is wondering what parts to trim:
For the joycons to lock you might need to shave down the part of the shell that the lock button clips in to: https://imgur.com/a/EL5WD7P (https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/comments/8eaq28/metal_latch_not_working_with_basstop_joycon/)

For the right joycon to be flush: https://imgur.com/a/3dYcM (https://nintendoradar.com/forums/to...replacement-right-joy-con-shell-white-colour/)

Last edited by fadx,

ciaomao

Well-Known Dude
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
the moulding here is superb. maybe your blue shells are made in another fab, or they learned their stuff.

fadx

Filthy Cheater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
the moulding here is superb. maybe your blue shells are made in another fab, or they learned their stuff.
What brand is yours? I have the Myriann brand one. My shells aren't the DPAD ones so maybe I have old stock too and the moulding is better with the DPAD ones.

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Gotta have that d-pad :) Mine are Myriann too, and the moulding was perfect. My left (green) was obviously from a d-pad set but my right (purple) I swapped with someone else from a non-d-pad set and it has no problems, so maybe there's just different batches around depending on how well each colour has been selling.

fadx

Filthy Cheater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Gotta have that d-pad :) Mine are Myriann too, and the moulding was perfect. My left (green) was obviously from a d-pad set but my right (purple) I swapped with someone else from a non-d-pad set and it has no problems, so maybe there's just different batches around depending on how well each colour has been selling.
The blue shell might be less popular or something so stock they're shipping out is still from an old mould but it's good to hear they've fixed the issues!

Reactions: hippy dave

fragged

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is the D-pad better for you when playing games? I feel like it would really help, main game I play is BotW. What are your thoughts on it, any downsides to going with a D-pad mod?

ciaomao

Well-Known Dude
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Is the D-pad better for you when playing games? I feel like it would really help, main game I play is BotW. What are your thoughts on it, any downsides to going with a D-pad mod?

I didnt tested BotW on my Switch, only on WiiU. The digi-pad is a huge improvement for 2d action platformers. N++ is great with it. The digi-pad is not fixed in the centre. It means you can still push left&right at the same time, that is cool for some games, where you need it. Also it is very comfortable, compared original conecept with the single buttons.

Last edited by ciaomao,

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I haven't been playing BOTW yet either, but for a lot of the games I do play (2D/indie/retro), it makes things so much better. If you want a d-pad I'd definitely recommend it. I guess the potential downsides are if you wan to play multiplayer and use it as a single joy-con sideways, as you'll have a d-pad instead of the 4 face buttons. Guess it will depend on the game whether that's useable or not. To be on the safe side I actually got an extra joy-con to put the new shell on, I've still got the one that came with the console unmodified. I haven't needed it yet tho.

fragged

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I haven't been playing BOTW yet either, but for a lot of the games I do play (2D/indie/retro), it makes things so much better. If you want a d-pad I'd definitely recommend it. I guess the potential downsides are if you wan to play multiplayer and use it as a single joy-con sideways, as you'll have a d-pad instead of the 4 face buttons. Guess it will depend on the game whether that's useable or not. To be on the safe side I actually got an extra joy-con to put the new shell on, I've still got the one that came with the console unmodified. I haven't needed it yet tho.
Yeah, I've got 2 sets of Joy Cons, a Pro controller (Atomic Purple), and a Mayflash MAGIC-NS so I'm not seeing any downsides now. Already ordered the full Atomic Purple shell set off of Amazon, and should hopefully be able to do it in a few days.

Reactions: hippy dave

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
BotW doesn't use the D-pad for control so it's not really going to improve anything there. Mostly 2D games benefit from it. I've just used the analog stick in 2D games as that seems to work decently for the 2D games I've played, it hasn't been too sensitive as is sometimes the case when you play 2D games with an analog stick.
I might consider getting a D-Pad mod on one of my left JoyCons (the one I use handheld), and leave the other one stock. Between the 3 other JoyCons and my Pro Controller there's still enough controllers to play 4 player.
Thing is, I already put Splatoon 2 colored shells on my primary JoyCons and I don't like the look of the D-Pad ones that are out there (not a fan of the colors nor the transparency)

ciaomao

Well-Known Dude
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
I feel the need to enlight you with my experience, after a few months of usage. All functionality and the the mechanics are still fine, thumps up. But there is one little issue I also like to mention. The letter of the yellow button has totaly weared off. Thats just a cosmetic point, I guess can pretty good handle it, but still...there might be others with a different opinion. I had about 3-5h per week playing time.

Last edited by ciaomao,

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I feel the need to enlight you with my experience, after a few months of usage. All functionality and the the mechanics are still fine, thumps up. But there is one little issue I also like to mention. The letter of the yellow button has totaly weared off. Thats just a cosmetic point, I guess can pretty good handle it, but still...there might be others with a different opinion. I had about 3-5h per week playing time.
Yeah most of the markings wore off my d-pad before too long. I kept the original Nintendo buttons in the right joy-con rather than the supplied coloured ones, because I'd heard the coloured ones might wear quicker, also I think it would have been too many colours for my setup.

ciaomao

Well-Known Dude
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Yeah most of the markings wore off my d-pad before too long. I kept the original Nintendo buttons in the right joy-con rather than the supplied coloured ones, because I'd heard the coloured ones might wear quicker, also I think it would have been too many colours for my setup.
I will stick to the colored, even if they lose all letters. Though, I hope to find the right buttons:) My D-pad still look perfect...but I didnt used it much...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    A @ Aglae Pheryl: Is anyone familiar with former forum opg.life ? I missed the transition to the new forum over...