New Review

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by shaunj66, Sep 24, 2005.

Sep 24, 2005

New Review by shaunj66 at 6:53 PM (2,984 Views / 0 Likes) 22 replies

1. shaunj66
    OP

Administrator shaunj66 Administrator

Featured Posts:
    United Kingdom

Review: Ultimate Spider-Man (PC/PS2/GC/XBOX)

Reviewed by Ace Gunman.

Ace Gunman provides us with an excellent review of the new Ultimate Spider-Man game for PS2/GC/XBOX. Go check it out! Thanks for the review! [​IMG]

Head this way to read the review! Feel free to leave comments and discuss the game in this topic.

2. Sc4rFac3d

Member Sc4rFac3d GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Featured Posts:
    Netherlands
    Amazing review, been reading bits of it, gonna read it all later on.

It seems this is the next Spider-Man to get since the PS1 version of the first Spider-Man, that game was awesom0!

3. neveras

Member neveras GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Featured Posts:
    Canada
    It's also out for the PC and it's also a port, not a different game [​IMG]

4. Ace Gunman

Former Staff Ace Gunman ~••Lucky҉Shot••~

Featured Posts:
    Canada
    I meant to mention that in the title, but in the heat of the moment (And my dog barking at a lawn mower) I forgot! [​IMG]

5. Sc4rFac3d

Member Sc4rFac3d GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Featured Posts:
    Netherlands
    Yes, that's awesome! The PC version of SP2 was the kiddiest game ever! [​IMG]

6. dice

Former Staff dice pansy-ass ex-staff member

Featured Posts:
    United Kingdom
    this review is ace [​IMG]

7. Ace Gunman

Featured Posts:
    Canada
    Why thank you! [​IMG] I've actually edited a few times since I originally posted it. Corrected some typos, and added some more meat to the review (Nothing overly large, so no NEED to re-read it).

8. ShadowXP

Member ShadowXP ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Featured Posts:
    United Kingdom
    Marvel games rock these days. Thanks for the review. [​IMG]

9. SilverGenix

Member SilverGenix GBAtemp Fan

Featured Posts:
    Netherlands
    this review actually made me check this game out.. wow [​IMG] nicely written

10. Bi99uy

Member Bi99uy GBAtemp Regular

Featured Posts:
    Sweden
    Quick Question:

Can i as a total spiderman "N00B" (Ive seen like 10 episodes of the animated series and watched the 2 Sony pictures) appreciate the games story and fully understand it? AFAIK the relationship between Venom and Spiderman is kinda deep and complex, how does the game handle this?

11. Ace Gunman

Featured Posts:
    Canada
    Well, this is a new reality of sorts. Not in any way tied to normal Marvel comics. Ultimate in itself is it's own universe. The reason i'm saying this is because with this universe comes new relationships, back-storys, and so on. Eddie and Peter's relationship in Ultimate Spider-Man is quite different from the normal comic/cartoon/whatever relationship of Eddie hating Peter/Spidey because he ruined his career.This new Ultimate relationship is covered at the beginning of the game, infact, you will actually be reinacting alot of what happened in the Venom storyarc at the beginning. So yes, you'll be able to get into this no problem.

BUT, and this is a big but, this is a very different universe. For example the Aunt May isn't a frail old woman, she's an independant ex-hippy (In her later 50s - early 60s, I think), who does office work. It's not difficult at all to get into this story, all you have to remember is that this universe is a more modern interpritation.

EDIT: Just thought I'd add a little something...playing this game is no different than watching a new comic movie. For example, when watching Batman Begins, does one have to know anything about Batman? No, not really. The Ultimate series is the same way. More-or-less you learn about the world at hand as you play/watch/read/etc. It's just a new interpritation, of characters who in the past 50 years have become way too bogged down in continuity (Or lack-there-of).

12. neveras

Member neveras GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Featured Posts:
    Canada
    It's set in the Ultimates Universe, a kind of modern day re-telling of marvel classics (Of which the re-telling of Avengers called the Ultimates is king) The story is told quite well and you'll get about 85% of it, the remaining 15% that won't catch on right away is aimed at fans of the comics. As Ace said it starts you off at the beginning of the Venom story so you get a good feel of what's going on. The story is really well done (but I've always been a fan of Bendis) It's definitly at least worth a check-out

13. Ace Gunman

Featured Posts:
    Canada
    It's hard not to be a fan of Bendis these days. Not only is most of his work genius (New Avengers, Powers, Alias, Daredevil, The Pulse, they're all critically praised). But even if you didn't like him...you have no choice. He writes most of the big name titles in Marvel. Not to mention his other stuff on the side.

14. Gaisuto

Former Staff Gaisuto Lose 2 Levels.

Featured Posts:
    United States
    I was looking forward to this. I'm glad it's getting praised. And it kinda bugs me that Venom can't swing. And that's my only beef with this.

With Venom being how he is in this game, who the hell needs to play The Hulk anymore?

15. Selvin

Member Selvin GBAtemp Regular

Featured Posts:
    Canada
    I'm super disapointed with this game. It's good and all but the story mode is only 5 hours long. I feel ripped off...

16. Ace Gunman

Featured Posts:
    Canada
    I have to ask...how long did you think it was going to be? I don't think i've ever played a North American-made game based on a licensed property that was long. Final Fantasy, Halo, Legend Of Zelda, etc and so on...those games were long. But they also weren't based on anything. Movie games, games based on shows, and others North American based games are never terrifically long.

Gaisuto, I do think Hulk is worth a play (It had a strong story, and fun gameplay mechanics). While the Venom mode is quite similar (And extremely fun) it's it lacks the insanely large combat selection of Hulk: UD, as well as the almost totally destructive enviroments. But then again, as I said in the review the combat is simplified (Yet still fun), and since Venom really isn't the type to destroy much more than he has to (Not including people)...so totally destructive enviroments arn't really needed.

17. Gaisuto

Former Staff Gaisuto Lose 2 Levels.

Featured Posts:
    United States
    I just got the PC version today. Damn it's kinda chuggy while swinging, makes me sad [​IMG]

18. Ace Gunman

Featured Posts:
    Canada
    You bought the PC version huh? [​IMG] That's not the way I would have gone . I like PC games as much as the next guy, but the controls arn't the same, and PCs are unpredictable. You never know if your hardware will be able to run the game at it's full capacity. Where as on a console you KNOW the game will work, and you know it will work well.

I personally bought the GameCube version. Why you ask? Because I like the controller better for a Spidey game. It just feels natural. Also because a comparitive review of Spider-Man 2: The Movie (Game) said this about the last game...GameCube had the best controls, Xbox had the best graphics (Only SLIGHTLY better than GameCubes), and both were faster loading than the PS2 version. I basiclaly applied the same standard here.

EDIT-O-RAMA: I made some MAJOR additions to the review. Specifically some more gameplay info, a more in-depth sound section, a downfalls section to give some outlook on the minor downfalls of the game, and also I changed the "And so on..." section into a "Rewards" section, and added alot more info about said rewards.

Heh, i'm a perfectionist. [​IMG]

19. T-hug

Chief Editor T-hug Always like this.

pip
    Featured Posts:
    United Kingdom
    I never liked much of any Spiderman games except the one Vs Electro on PSOne. However out of all the new releases for Xbox last week (most of which are sweet), suprisingly I've played this the most and it is very good. Definatley better than the previous games anyway.

20. jumpman17

Former Staff jumpman17 He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!

Featured Posts:
    United States
    I got this game for PC, it's amazing.

Try going on a really tall building that has a flat roof you can walk off of. You will go into a beautifully animated face first dive. It's a beautiful game.