New Review - EZ-Flash V

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Opium, Jan 15, 2007.

Jan 15, 2007

New Review - EZ-Flash V by Opium at 7:25 AM (4,135 Views / 0 Likes) 12 replies

1. Opium
    OP

Former Staff Opium PogoShell it to me ™

Australia

New Review - EZ-Flash V

Official GBAtemp Review

[​IMG]

GBAtemp's official review of the EZ-Flash V is now live!

The EZ-Flash V is a new slot-1 flashcard from the EZTeam. It supports drag & drop clean ROMs along with a unique hybrid system. Check out the review to see how it fares.

[​IMG] EZ-Flash V Review!

2. Athlon-pv

Member Athlon-pv GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Would you rate homebrew compatibility as a pro or a con for the EZ-V ?

3. MaHe

Member MaHe one lazy schmo

Slovenia
    It's a shame they simply stole the GUI skin ...

4. Opium
    OP

Former Staff Opium PogoShell it to me ™

Australia
    Well they can't 'steal' it. I was under the assumption that Moonshell was under the GNU licence. Making it free to download the source and modify it. But hey, if it works, it works. If you like Moonshell the EZ-V is a good choice. I would've perhaps preferred the same sort of functionality but with a touch screen focus.

5. scrawl

Member scrawl GBAtemp Regular

Iceland
    They didn't. The skin used in the review is a modified version of GCTonyHawk's duoTone blue. Both Opium and myself added additional elements to make it EZ-5 compatible.

The official EZ-Flash 5 skin looks similar (these are Photoshop mockups) to this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. ghettobob

Member ghettobob GBAtemp Regular

United States
    im glad the videos are on youtube, and not that other thing. That other thing was super slow took about 10 minutes just to watch a 30 second video >_>

7. [Jez]

Newcomer [Jez] Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    Hows download play?

8. phoood

Member phoood taking it to a whole new level.

United States
    I know from your review that it doesn't come with any goodies, but that shouldn't be held against the product.

You know, we were all surprised that the M3 simply and R4 came with goodies, and I hope those things didn't directly affect the m3's/r4's rating.

9. Destructobot

Member Destructobot Crave the Hammer

United States
    It should absolutely be held against it that it doesn't come with the software that is required for the device to function.

10. stinkingbob

Newcomer stinkingbob Advanced Member

Thanks for the review! I am glad to see more slot 1 devices coming out now.
    Onto your review: Honestly, I don't think that it should matter if the package comes with a CD. Lets face it, by the time you receive the cart, the drivers and updates on the cd are no good, so what do you ultimately end up doing: going to the internet to download the latest drivers and updates!!! So actually, it is a plus that no CD came packaged with it. In fact it probably shaved off a few dollars from the cost of the unit. BUT, they should have had some kind of note on top of the card telling people to go to xxxxx website to download the latest drivers and for instructions.
    Also, the bulkiness should not be held against the unit as well. Realistically, the cart will be in your NDS the majority of the time. As long as it fits into the slot and plays, thats all we gamers care about!
    One thing that I am concerned about is the non spring-loaded side entry. Over time and through multiple uses, I can see a situation where the mini sd card may fall out unexpectedly when you remove the cart from the NDS. It really should have been spring loaded.
    Are you going to test downloadable play and play between flashed/unflashed NDS's (that is, if you have 2 units like that)?
    All in all, great review and thanks for the time and effort you put into it.
    Bob

11. Verocity

Member Verocity Ö!

United States
    Awesome review, I cant wait until the results of the download play come, It seems the EZ Team did a Nice job on this. It would be good if you could have a boot GUI like on the Flash IV I really like the menu, and its easily skinnable. Moonshell is alright, but It would be nice if you could choose. Moonshell or the loader that is on the EZ Flash IV.

12. lickmy

Newcomer lickmy Member

Afghanistan
    You have the internet, and so does anyone buying this product. Any included software with the product would be immediately out of date anyways, so why not save the consumer money by nother bothering to have CDs copied for it? Some instructions for getting it all set up should definately have been included though, but most people are pretty savvy if they're using these units anyways.

13. luck11

Newcomer luck11 Member

Canada
    Sounds interesting....making the choice much more difficult. But am still interested in download play (without a a flashed DSL) as this will be deciding factor for which one I buy, all else being "relatively" equal.