new replacement file manager that replaces wbfs

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by HighIrish, Dec 24, 2010.

Dec 24, 2010
  1. HighIrish
    OP

Newcomer HighIrish Member

United States
    so i modded another wii and have heard that i can use the same usb hdd to store and access games AND movies for my soft modded wii. in the past i used two different usb hdd's ... one for movies and the other for games that i loaded using wbfs manager. i recently heard that i can now use one hdd that is NOT partitioned. anyone know how i do this or what program i use to do this?? thanks!

2. DJ_Eric

Newcomer DJ_Eric Member

United States
    A hard drive has to be partitioned. But what you are hearing about is most likely using fat32. The app Wii Backup Manager can suite all of your needs. Another thing that might help is Xflacs ModMii app that can do USB loader setup for you.

3. HighIrish
    OP

Newcomer HighIrish Member

United States
    i guess i am confused.. i dl'ed wii backup manager and during formatting of hdd it ask which file format to be used.. do i choose nfts fat32 or wbfs if i want to put games AND movies on it. Thanks.

4. fattest

Member fattest GBAtemp Fan

United States
    fat32, wbfs can not be read by windows so you can't copy files to a wbfs partition. wii backup manager will only copy games

5. picano

Member picano GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Either NTFS or FAT32.

FAT is an older standard (thus more supported) and has a size limit of ~4GB per file, but that really isn't much of a concern as backup managers auto-split files if necessary.

NTFS is newer and most common with current Windows systems and doesn't have that size annoyance. It's supported by less things (ex: cfg usb loader will work with it but homebrew channel can't load apps from it) but the apps which do support it are pretty stable.

6. fattest

Member fattest GBAtemp Fan

United States
    i dont think you can rip discs to ntfs partitions either, fat32 you can (meaning through a usb loader, not from a pc).

7. picano

Member picano GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Actually, this is supported by cfg. I'm not sure if it's default yet or if it still needs to be configured to do so.

8. Hielkenator

Member Hielkenator GBAtemp Psycho!

Netherlands
    Yes, but can be unstable.