New Raspberry Pi 4 model launches today, comes with 8GB RAM

iU6z1hg.png

You won't have to find some totally legit sources in order to download more RAM for your Raspberry Pi 4 anytime soon, as a new version of the Pi 4 B has been announced. With the unit's first anniversary just around the corner, a premium model has been introduced, featuring a whopping 8GB of RAM. That's double the amount of the previous "high-end" $55 4GB model, all packed neatly into that familiar size for $75, available starting today. The extra RAM doesn't change much of the Pi 4's board, though this version does sport a new power switcher that's closer to the USB-C input, otherwise leaving the rest of the internals the same as before.

To supply the slightly higher peak currents required by the new memory package, James has shuffled the power supply components on the board, removing a switch-mode power supply from the right-hand side of the board next to the USB 2.0 sockets and adding a new switcher next to the USB-C power connnector. While this was a necessary change, it ended up costing us a three-month slip, as COVID-19 disrupted the supply of inductors from the Far East.

To coincide with this new release, the Raspbian OS, now simply renamed to the Raspberry Pi OS, offers a 64-bit version currently in beta and available to download through their official site.

:arrow: Source

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
does it NEED 8gb of ram tho?
Hell, it doesn't even want 8 GB of RAM. :P

What I think is happening here is the rPi org is putting out this "deluxe" model as part of a loss leader strategy. Sell the 8GB deluxe at a tidy profit which funds the money they lose on the 2GB $35 model (and/or help fund all the open source, education stuff they do).
And yes, I know they're technically a non-profit, but they still have to pay their bills (and maybe sneak in a handsome salary or two).

Reactions: Stealphie

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Eh, not true. People use the Pi for a variety of things. Seen smart mirrors, robotics, even alarm clocks. The Pi is capable of a lot of things. Still, there's no reason to tack on extra RAM.

I guess all that Ram would make it work way better as a Media Center at the very least.

Reactions: Stealphie

zxr750j

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I've got a 3b or something, the fact that the raspberry connects so easily with mice, keyboards, hdmi etc with the added bonus of running Python makes the raspberry one of the best platforms to start developing anything really... And it runs retropi! Or put in another microsd, connect it to your soundbar and listen to internetradio/music accessible via any browser. 8GB? I think mine's got 1...
Okay, I think I haven't touched it in months but that's besides the point.

GBAer

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Sadly the only thing that's preventing me from ditching my RPI 3b is the fact that I still like using Retroflag's NES case.

Wish they could do a follow up to the Pi Zero and give a bump in spec while keeping the small form.
If you could fit the PI4 in the NES case I think the thing would probably melt

CactusMan

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Emulation does not need anything more than 1GB the most (I think). OS however may want that juicy ram for Overclocking.
Whatever adds up for you, try runing it on 1 Gb. Overclocking is operated via the bios.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Whatever adds up for you, try runing it on 1 Gb. Overclocking is operated via the bios.
Get youself a fireestiquidreer.

Last edited by CactusMan,

DaFixer

Dare to be stupid
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
guys, never bought one, what's use for this Rasperry?
I'm using 2 Raspberry Pi 3B+'s as Kodi players, and made PiStation (RBP3B+ in a PSone case, running RetroPie)
For a year I'm using Raspberry Pi 2 + HiFi addon as a Volumio player as a music streamer in my living room.

I'm planning to make a RBPi nas for my Sonos setup and buiding a Pi-Hole.

Reactions: Jarmenti

Jarmenti

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm using 2 Raspberry Pi 3B+'s as Kodi players, and made PiStation (RBP3B+ in a PSone case, running RetroPie)
For a year I'm using Raspberry Pi 2 + HiFi addon as a Volumio player as a music streamer in my living room.

I'm planning to make a RBPi nas for my Sonos setup and buiding a Pi-Hole.

I'm using a pi4 4gb as a pihole as well as a NAS w/ 16tb of drives, works great. The biggest upgrade for me was adding the usb 3 ports, and legit gigabit ethernet, as prior pi's were useless as far as any kind of storage server due to the limited transfer speeds.

Also have a Pi 3b+ in a retroflag snes case for decoration under the tv at this point, as I used to use it for retropie + kodi for streaming video from the pi4 server, but now have a smart tv that has kodi installed right on it, so the retropie barely gets used anymore.

Last edited by Jarmenti,
Reactions: DaFixer

Duplodocus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Finally, a Pi with as much RAM as my laptop. Pretty sure everyone will jump on it even if their current project without a graphical interface works in their current RasPi using less 1Gb of RAM... You never know I guess. :D

DaFixer

Dare to be stupid
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I'm using a pi4 4gb as a pihole as well as a NAS w/ 16tb of drives, works great. The biggest upgrade for me was adding the usb 3 ports, and legit gigabit ethernet, as prior pi's were useless as far as any kind of storage server due to the limited transfer speeds.

Also have a Pi 3b+ in a retroflag snes case for decoration under the tv at this point, as I used to use it for retropie + kodi for streaming video from the pi4 server, but now have a smart tv that has kodi installed right on it, so the retropie barely gets used anymore.

Nice, is a RBPi 4 not a bit overkill for a Pi-Hole?
A RBPi 4 as a server is also a good idea, I think it will a better job as my Qnap 419p-II NAS ;)

cashboxz01

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Doesn't matter at that point, where the cost of Pi is going up, while USFF PC's costs are getting cheaper. I've picked up a Lenovo tiny m900 for about $200 with a 256GB SSD. It has a real i5 6th gen CPU, which can emulate all of this stuff + PCSX2 + RPCS3 + Dolphin.

My Pi4 4GB ($65)+ Argon One Case/PSU Bundle ($40) + 128GB Bundle ($25) cost $130.
Yea, Lenovo is like $70 more expensive, but it blows the Pi 4 out the water.

matpower

Messenger from Zero
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Doesn't matter at that point, where the cost of Pi is going up, while USFF PC's costs are getting cheaper. I've picked up a Lenovo tiny m900 for about $200 with a 256GB SSD. It has a real i5 6th gen CPU, which can emulate all of this stuff + PCSX2 + RPCS3 + Dolphin.

My Pi4 4GB ($65)+ Argon One Case/PSU Bundle ($40) + 128GB Bundle ($25) cost $130.
Yea, Lenovo is like $70 more expensive, but it blows the Pi 4 out the water.
How much power does your M900 sip though? I can keep my Pi3 running all day long without batting an eye, but I think I would notice the extra consumption with a SFF PC. IMO a Celeron NUC or something like it would be a better Pi replacement, on both size, processing power and energy usage.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    dammit that thread got moved from offtopic to edge, well since that happened
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @LeoTCK, atleast it's still avaliable
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    yes but it wasn't meant to be a comedy thread
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    and edge of the forum is mostly comedy and games
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    so I don't get why it got moved at all
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @LeoTCK, mods are probably hating you
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    on most sites mods hated me, sooner or later, but usually over time I get either banned or the mods get used to me
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    sometimes to the point of thanking me for my quick actions etc against spam and other stuff, but yea...its either they come to respect me or outright hate me
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    If it's not game related, it will be moved to the Egde of the forum. Mods have moved a few of my threads also.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, it was in the off topic chat forum
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Well atleast they didn't delete it completely.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    hmm
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    uoiea
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    huh?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Aeiou backwards
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    ?tuw
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yltcaxE