new psp rumoured to have touch control on back of console

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by lostdwarf, Aug 19, 2010.

1. lostdwarf
    OP

Member lostdwarf GBAtemp Maniac

United Kingdom

2. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    It's usually better to quote the article and what not for posting news. And to use proper grammar and stuff. Like this:

Source

Regardless, I think they should just rip a page out of the DS or iPhone book. I don't care if they're "copycats", I just want a good console.

3. nutella

Member nutella Low Glycemic Index

Australia
    *sigh* You people are just finding new ways to hate Sony now. Seriously. The Notion Ink Adam (an Android tablet) is coming out with a similar control input and it's been praised for such innovative thinking. I don't see what's so bad about it at all unless it were to be the only control scheme, which we all know Sony is not stupid enough to do. If this rumour does happen to be true, at least give it time before you start to bash Sony. After all, didn't everyone think the DS would flop with touch screen controls and yet, here we are 6 years later and its still got a lot left in it.

4. Midna

Banned Midna Banned

Albania
    The back of the console? Well, that's original, but is it useful?

5. DarkWay

Member DarkWay tsubasa hiroge

United Kingdom
    To be honest I'd much rather have the ,ock PSP successorthat in the picture on the article I'd happily pay around £200 for that beast.

6. Raika

Member Raika uguu

Antarctica
    At the BACK? I doubt this will work well, but only time will tell...
    I think that this is retarded as fuck ._.

7. cosmiccow

Member cosmiccow Original Hippie

Germany
    The idea alone is not that bad. If you control it from the back, you don't obscure the screen with your fingers. But I don't see how you can accurately know where to touch [​IMG]

Well, it's all rumour and speculation.

8. Zaertix

Member Zaertix GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    How you can accurately know where to touch?

Simple hand eye coordination, it's like tying an apron around your waist, or buttoning a shirt, or doing things you don't have to WATCH every motion, it's reflex and hand eye coordination.

9. worlok375

Member worlok375 GBAtemp's prince

United States
    From behind. [​IMG]

10. DarkWay

Member DarkWay tsubasa hiroge

United Kingdom
    it would be easy to know where to touch, naturally you'd touch in the same place you'd touch if the touch screen was on the front of the new handheld just on the back. If you don't understand what I just said that's okay cause I know exactly what I mean ^^

Another way to xplain it would be load up a game on your DS with a touch based menu, now turn your ds around so the screens are facing away from you.
    For this part you can either use a mirror or just peer over the top of the DS to see what your doing (mirror would be best).
    Now access the menu and play with the setting or load up your save and try to play a little.

The touch function hasn't changed at all, everything is in the same place you'd touch if you were holding the DS the right way round.

11. geoflcl

Member geoflcl Permanent GBAtemp Newbie

United States
    Behind, eh?

Well, I'll admit it's pretty neat. But when you think about it, touch functions are severely limited with that setup...

If anything, they'll one-up the specs and resolution for sure, though.

12. naruses

Member naruses GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Do you remember this old Sony Ericsson Phone, the W380???

This one

[​IMG]

Now in the back it had some touch sensitive controls, which were "cool to use".

[​IMG]

so, maybe they´ll use this kind of stuff.

13. yuyuyup

Member yuyuyup GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    I always thought the perfect input for the PSP would be a trackball

14. tigris

Member tigris Sentient Existential Anthropomorphic Sweet Potato

United Kingdom
    Behind? TOUCH controls? Sounds good. How wid... oh wait. It's Sony.

15. monkat

Banned monkat I'd like to see you TRY to ban me. (Should I try?.

United States
    You know guys, we use more than just vision and hearing during a video game. We also have a Kinesthetic sense, where we know where our body parts are without any aid from touch - we should know with relative ease what we're touching, even without seeing it.

And if I'm completely wrong, Sony could just add some 'hot-spot' pads to help guide us and developers (although that kinda kills action games xD)

16. Shinigami357

Member Shinigami357 Current "give a fuck" level: Honey Badger

Philippines
    not to be a partypooper on this rumor, but if you have your fingers at the back that are supposed to help in holding the unit are in motion, then wouldn't it be drop-prone? i mean, everyone knows how wide sony makes their handhelds, right?

-if you don't get what i mean and you wanna flame me, think about this first. your thumbs will be busy using d-pads, analog "sticks" etc, your index finger will be doing shoulder button duties, and i assume you'd use your middle fingers for the touchscreen at the back. which leaves your ring and pinkie fingers. not exactly what you want to be cradling a $200++ device with, right?

17. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    Well when you hold most any gaming device or controller your hands curl around the back. Odds are you'd just move your fingers that are curled around it, Should be fine provided your joints keep it in place. I think.

But I really don't see this. I mean I literally can't see this. There's no visualization in my head of what this would be. Or how it could be used. Unless the back is a touch screen that can be flipped out to the front or you can flip over the PSP for the touchscreen I just really don't see it.

I'm still sticking with my "copy off Apple or Nintendo" bit. That'd be a good console.

18. yuyuyup

Member yuyuyup GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    I could see it if the screen was somewhat translucent, or perhaps the touch sensor on the back would eliminate your fingers getting in the way of the screen and the cursors representing your finger positions appeared on screen

This would also obviously get rid of annoying smudges/scratches from overuse, so there are a few potential advantages there. Plus I'm sure game devs could get creative with it. Now that I mull it over, I hope this aint bullshit.

19. KingVamp

Member KingVamp Great... AETHER!

United States
    [​IMG] That a PSP GO XXL [​IMG]
    ,but seriously you would new a bag for that thing!!!

If this is true....

What? just flip the psp around to play touch screen games :/

And if you play like that you know where the controls are in front of the portable [​IMG]

20. Shinigami357

Member Shinigami357 Current "give a fuck" level: Honey Badger

Philippines
    isn't the whole point of touch controls to have more accurate, uh, control over what you are doing? i understand what some people say about humans used to working without having to look exactly at their hands, but humans have an extensive history of mistyping on keyboards, putting buttons into the wrong button holes, and worse yet, men closing their zippers on their, uh, private parts, right? and these are stuff we do everyday, just imagine having to cope with the control method for every game without seeing what you're doing.