New PSP owner.....advice on getting up and running.

Discussion in 'PSP - Games & Content' started by keine, Sep 15, 2010.

Sep 15, 2010
  1. keine
    OP

Member keine GBAtemp Fan

United States
    So I recently purchased a PSP Slim with 5.00m33 on it already.
    What should my first steps be? I've never had a psp before.
    Should I put a screen protector on it? Does the screen have anything before the actual LCD like the DS touch screen protects its actual LCD screen?

How much work to get say deadulus64 and Final Fantasy 7 up and working.
    Should I upgrade the CFW? I don't totally understand the CFW. I guess newer firmwares allow newer games to work natively....or you can stay at your old firmware and patch the games you want to play? Is that correct?

What CFW is required to play paptapon?
    I have an 8gB Sony memstick....but is SDHC w/ adapter the best method to storing programs?

Thanks.

2. DarkShinigami

Member DarkShinigami #1 strongest Shinigami BANKAI

United States
    final fantasy is easy to get up and running. first you need to get an iso of it(aint tellin you where) then you nees psx2psp you can dl it here it will make an eboot for what ever psx game you want to play.

in my opinion you should upgrade your formware to either gen d3 (heard good things about it) or promehius5.50 the best in my opinion.

as for deadulus64 im still trying to get it to work good on my psp.

hope i was of some help

Posts merged

if you want help upgrading to gen d3 or promethius 5.50 i can help you

3. keine
    OP

Member keine GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Thanks for the reply.....and I actually still have my FF7 PSX cd's so good to go.

One question. If I upgrade to promethius 5.50......can I downgrade again to whatever I was at in the instance that it isn't that great....Ultimately...can I lock myself out of my homebrew PSP?

I'm sure I can find promethius5.50 w/ a search...probably on this forum maybe.

What about paptapon? What firmware does it need?

4. DarkShinigami

Member DarkShinigami #1 strongest Shinigami BANKAI

United States
    you can downgrade if you want to it is easy once you know how. you tube taught me quite a bit for downgrading and upgrading. i think the firmware you have is compatible with patapon but some of the newer games will need to be patched. i have yet to see a game i needed to patch since i started using promethius

5. thedicemaster

Member thedicemaster GBAtemp Addict

Netherlands
    on your PSP it's impossible to lock yourself out of homebrew, as long as you have a "pandora battery" set, which is a specially formatted memorystick with recovery software and a modded battery to trigger the PSP's debug mode.
    these can be bought ready-to-use in many online stores, or can be made using an old PSP with cfw.

it's also useful in case you accidentally brick your PSP.

6. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    Follow the sticky to update to 5.50 GEN-D3, then install the Prome-2 (Prometheus 2) firmware.
    http://www.psp-hacks.com/file/1953

The latest firmware will have the most compatibility, that IS why they're updated.

Yes, the PSP's plastic outer shell protects the actual screen, if it gets scratched up you can get a $10 replacement.

Getting the N64 emulator up and working is like getting any emulator up and working. Extract it onto the memory stick in it's own folder inside /PSP/GAME/, stick the ROMs in the ROMs folder, and then run it from the memory stick option in the game menu.

As for getting FF7 working, follow the PSX to PSP sticky here.

7. keine
    OP

Member keine GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Thanks guys!

8. keine
    OP

Member keine GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Ran into a PROBLEM!!!!

So I booted up the PSP and the memory stick (an 8gB memory stick pro duo) had stuff on it and was working fine. System reads as 5.00m33. The system came with a normal battery and a "pandora" battery.

I attempted to take out the memory stick and put it in my Dell 2405FPW w/o the adapter not knowing that these things had adapters. It didn't read. Could that have killed it? All the adapter does is extend the memory stick correct?

Somewhere now, the memory stick won't be read by either the PSP or my PC (both XP and 7).
    The memory led just flashes and the psp says no memory stick present. It won't format it saying as its not there. The memory stick freezes my XP machine and windows 7 just can't get at it?

Could this be a "magic memory stick" or something and thats why I cant get at it. Or did it just die somehow?

9. xist

Member xist ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ

United Kingdom
  10. keine
    OP

Member keine GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Yes Its a sony stick..

I CANNOT believe its dead...it just can't be. Windows 7 kinda sorta picks it up in computer management, but it thinks its 32gB instead o 8gb? Trying to create a new partion gives incorrect function?

Please help.

11. xist

United Kingdom
    Cross reference that guide on Fakes first....Are you CERTAIN it's real....

12. keine
    OP

Member keine GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I have no idea its real....bought it used off a guy.
    But why would it break just then...UHG.

Would you buy another Memory Stick or is there any downsides to Micro SD flash in an adapter.......

13. xist

United Kingdom
    Use that guide i posted to check the MS to see if it's fake. Personally i've never had any issues with a 4Gb Sandisk, but would suggest a Sandisk Ultra II if possible.

14. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    Show us what it looks like in dskmgmt.msc.

15. keine
    OP

Member keine GBAtemp Fan

United States
    According to clue #5...it might be a fraud. The lettering isn't gold...thats for sure. I'm also not seeing any italic S. I don't know.

16. xist

United Kingdom
    What about #4? And do what Rydian said.

17. keine
    OP

Member keine GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Here is what K: (the memory care) looks like.
    [​IMG]

As for #4....

"The casing texture of the Fake card is uniform throughout, hence lower cost for manufacturing."

This is totally what I'm holding. There is just one texture...which would mean its a fake.

Can you see that....its reporting a 8gB as a 32bG space.

18. Shabutie78

Member Shabutie78 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    once you get your whole memstick problem sorted out, PM me and we can talk on msn/aim/yim.
    i've been with the psp scene since 1.50 OFW, i can help you with anything you need. [​IMG]

19. xist

United Kingdom
    And that, ladies and gents, is why you should never say "Well my fake stick works just fine". Ultimately there's no decent way of stopping this happening again...call it a mistake, take the hit and get a GENUINE stick from a decent vendor - NOT EBAY or AMAZON MARKETPLACE! Get a Sandisk too.....

20. keine
    OP

Member keine GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Just compared it to a retail memory stick....and they are close however the quality on the bad one is much poorer than on the reail. The graphics aren't as good and it seems there are edges to them. The lettering on the back isn't gold, but a crude white etch.

DAMNIT. I thought I was getting a good 8gB card w/ this used deal. 8gB memory sticks are not cheap. Think I'm going to try get some money back from the guy....or leave a neutral comment. What happens if he really didn't know. *and* the card was! working *at first*