XP
Country
New PSP Exploit Found: Effects All Firmware Up To v3.50

psp.gif
psp.gif
psp.gif

QUOTE said:
The All-Seeing Eye is watching you...

Following research in conjunction with Archaemic, Noobz are proud to present the first ever all-firmware exploit for the PSP.  Based on Lumines, the "Illuminati" exploit is a user-mode exploit using a buffer overflow in the savedata file - similar to the GTA exploit.

That's right - if you've got a legal UMD copy of Lumines, then you can run homebrew on your PSP - whatever the firmware version.  That includes v3.50! Right now, the only homebrew is the Hello World demo released below - but in future we intend to release a HEN and downgrader.

To make the exploit work:

Check that you have an EU or US version of Lumines (ULES00043 or ULUS10002).  Currently we don't have a version for the Japanese version, but we're working on it, as soon as we get hold of a Japanese UMD.

Extract the contents of the 'MS_ROOT' folder from the ZIP file into the top-level of your memory stick. (HINT: If you wind up with an 'MS_ROOT' folder on the stick, you've done it wrong).

Start the game, and as soon as it gets to the 'Press START' screen, press START.  If you wait until the demo has started, the exploit may not work.

The screen should go blank, and the exploit will start after a few moments.  It doesn't do anything except look pretty at this stage - but feel free to enjoy the first homebrew on your v3.10 - v3.50 PSP

If you don't own a copy of Lumines, why not go and buy one? It's cheap these days, and it's a great game - get it before it gets patched!

Here's a picture of the exploit in action:

helloworld_illuminati.png

SOURCE LINK

Please Lock if Olde....
yaypsp.gif

Strider

Next to the mainstream
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Meh.

I applaud those who made this, but Sony will be patching this in the firmware starting right now.

They (Sony) shouldn't be doing it and embrace homebrew (and all that comes with it); it would really give the PSP some life which it desperately needs (I have one..). However, it's not their attitude and I hate them for it.

2 weeks I say.

Nenyana

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I purchased a second hand copy of Lumines for £5 today just in case I ever need it in the future. This is excellent news and a real accomplishment for the homebrew community.

Even though I love homebrew, specifically emulation I understand completely why Sony can never embrace it for the Psp. Most issues Sony would have problems with would fall under copyright from emulation, how to restrict the access of old copyrighted games and most of all piracy. In reality, Sony would be opening up a can of worms and giving themselves serious headaches if they officially supported homebrew and emulation on the Psp.

Having said this, I have heard about Sony supporting homebrew on some of their other platforms but I have no idea specifically which platforms or how exactly this works.

By the way, CEX UK should still have copies of Lumines left for £5 in store or online with free delivery. No doubt people will be selling this £5 game for £60 on Ebay eventually.

JohnDrake

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The local shops in my area have been cleaned out of Lumines. I acquired the last two copies at the gamestore in my neigborhood.

(One for me and one for my brother who is getting a PSP for his birthday early next month.)

JohnDrake

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Yes it's confirmed. Every PSP under the sun can now be downgraded with a banal copy of Lumines. Thats means the GTA LCS i paid 60$ can just took a meaninful drop in valueÂ
ohmy.gif
. But it's pretty nice for everyone else. Big news indeed.

http://pspupdates.qj.net/Fanjita-s-slice-o...pg/49/aid/96078

Don't worry I did the same thing back in the day. I bought one on ebay not too long ago. I believe our over priced copies of GTA:LCS will retain some value as the PSP homebrew scene is really starting to expand.

This is a great day for homebrew/emulation fans everywhere.
yaypsp.gif

funwithplaydough

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I learned about this too late so couple of questions...

Do I need to have firmware at 3.50 or will 3.40 work? I am afraid to do the update now as Sony may have already fixed the 3.50 firmware download they have posted on their site.

if this only works with 3.50 firmware, Does anyone have the PSP 3.50 firmware obtained prior to the past week to share with everyone? if so please share a link.

edit: nevermind my post. I found the firmwares for download over at qj.net

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Boo I thought that was a rejection comment