New PSN Terms of Service

Nujui

I need something to do.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Sony has updated their TOS, forcing you to agree to the new TOS if you want to still connect to PSN. The new updates mainly say that Sony has the right to “spy” on what you are doing on your PS3 and have officially banned the use of anything on your PS3
psn_tos.jpg

To quote the change of TOS:

You agree that you will not use any unauthorized hardware, including peripherals not sold or licensed by a Sony company such as, by way of example only, non-licensed game enhancement devices, controllers, adaptors and power supply devices (collectively, “Non-Licensed Peripherals”) or software to access or use Sony Online Services or any content or service provided on or through Sony Online Services.
[/p]

Source

Pyrmon

Burnin' Monkey Love
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Banning controllers and power supplies now?
What the fuck Sony?
And I guess this means they ban PS2 to PS3 memory cards adapters too, eh?

Blaze163

The White Phoenix's purifying flame.
Trophies
XP
Country
They're going a bit overboard if you ask me. All this will do is piss people off. Fair enough if you're hunting pirates but there's no call for pissing off legit players, forcing such draconian rules on them. If Sony continue this witch hunt they'll drive away customers, if you ask me.

Incidentally this only affects the PS3, right? Mine's not hacked but obviously my PSP is.

boktor666

Gbatemp's official Solar Boy™ Is Back!
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Goddammit. Stupid hackers and cheaters, using new software to pirate. Now you've done it, you actually harmed the innocent. Now I won't be able to hook up my Guitar Hero Controller to my PS3 anymore (I intended to do this).

nutella

Low Glycemic Index
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
This...
Sheaperd121 said:

You agree that you will not use any unauthorized hardware, including peripherals not sold or licensed by a Sony company such as, by way of example only, non-licensed game enhancement devices, controllers, adaptors and power supply devices (collectively, “Non-Licensed Peripherals”) or software to access or use Sony Online Services or any content or service provided on or through Sony Online Services.
... really just means this when you take all the crap out...
QUOTE(Sheaperd121 @ Feb 18 2011, 09:42 PM) To quote the change of TOS:

You agree that you will not use any unauthorized hardware or software to access or use Sony Online Services or any content or service provided on or through Sony Online Services.
So they're not banning the use of third party peripherals, only using them to bypass the PSN. I don't see any way that Sony can ban the use of third party peripherals altogether. The reason it mentions controllers and power supplies is to make it clear that IF somehow you can bypass the PSN with any third party controller, it would be violating the ToS. Who knows, somebody may make a controller that you can put PS Jailbreak on and claim that it's just a controller.

Recorderdude

Musician, Animator, Buffoon.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
boktor666 said:
Goddammit. Stupid sony, hurting their own customers by going after hackers who are a tiny percentage of those who own
ps3s. Now you've done it, you actually harmed the innocent. Now I won't be able to hook up my Guitar Hero Controller to my PS3 anymore (I intended to do this).

Fix'd so you don't sound like a hax hating noob.

gameandmatch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
boktor666 said:
Goddammit. Stupid hackers and cheaters, using new software to pirate. Now you've done it, you actually harmed the innocent. Now I won't be able to hook up my Guitar Hero Controller to my PS3 anymore (I intended to do this).

and why not? they mean the ones that are use to bypass the security. as far as I know (since my already agreed to the new TOS) those controllers like GH controller still works. So don't post anything about we harmed the innocent before trying it out. Also they are "spying" on you which means your controller still works unless it use to bypass security then your ps3 might just all together get banned from the PSN

Windaga

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
have officially banned the use of anything on your PS3

I laughed at that part. It does say "not sold or licensed" by Sony, so I'm sure third party stuff will be fine. I'll update my PS3 when I get home later on.

notmeanymore

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nutella said:
This...
Sheaperd121 said:

... really just means this when you take all the crap out...
QUOTE(Sheaperd121 @ Feb 18 2011, 09:42 PM) To quote the change of TOS:

You agree that you will not use any unauthorized hardware or software to access or use Sony Online Services or any content or service provided on or through Sony Online Services.
So they're not banning the use of third party peripherals, only using them to bypass the PSN. I don't see any way that Sony can ban the use of third party peripherals altogether. The reason it mentions controllers and power supplies is to make it clear that IF somehow you can bypass the PSN with any third party controller, it would be violating the ToS. Who knows, somebody may make a controller that you can put PS Jailbreak on and claim that it's just a controller.
No, you're parsing the grammar wrong. They're banning "non-licensed game enhancement devices" and "software to access or use Sony Online Services or any content or service provided on or through Sony Online Services" as two separate entities. Not just non-licensed hardware that provides access to PSN.

Also, now even more so, I'm never going to get on PSN, when and if I buy a PS3. The PS3 will stay in the living room as the family Blu-Ray player and Hulu streamer, and I'll play it whenever a good PS3 exclusive comes out.

Terminator02

ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
3rd party manufacturers (like madcatz) have to get their peripherals authorized by sony today to get into any game store, unless u bought a controller off of some random website this won't affect peripherals

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/@legolambs