New PSN service agreement requires Sony permission for class action

shadowmanwkp

Your roms are on another rom site
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Correct me if I'm wrong here, but I thought it was a right of people to participate in class action lawsuits. If Sony enforces an approval system for doing that in their TOS, it means they limit people's rights and thus the TOS cannot be fully binding due to this fact.

The part about writing a letter of disapproval is dodgy as well. They should give you a clear message that you can decline the TOS. Instead, you can skip over it without ever knowing it. In fact, I cannot believe that clicking a button binds you to a TOS, while a hand-written, signed disapproval needs to be sent to the legal department if you have any objections within a certain timeframe.

/rant

chyyran

somehow a weeb now.
Developer
Trophies
Website
ronnchyran.com
XP
Country
Canada
Sony, Sony Sony... Why are you asking for another dose of Lulzsec?

You just killed whatever remains of the tiny, minute respect for you, basically, you're basically saying that you have the right to block out the 1st Amendment in the US, and the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms in Canada.

By the way Sony, this is illegal. Even more illegal as Removing OtherOS, Looking at IP addresses of geohot's site and YouTube video, and trying to control the internet, as well as trying to copyright a series of numbers.

*PS3 Freedom Flag Here*

Sony, why are you trying to police PSN users like this. You aren't above the law.. Wait..

Zarcon

.:~Enigmatic Wanderer~:.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Eh, don't you have to sign things like this when you go rock climbing or sky diving?
Agree not to sue them if you get injured for using their service.

It's their service and it's kind of the same thing.
Agree not to sue them if your stuff gets stolen while using their service.

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
DrOctapu said:
Fuck this. Have they hacked the PS3's latest firmware yet? I'm ready to sacrifice PSN, because this is bullshit. I refuse to be refused the right to sue negligent imbeciles.

There is a downgrader, but it has to be done in hardware and all of them require soldering. There is a no-solder slim downgrader coming out soon though. Glad I stayed on firmware 3.55 .

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
shadowmanwkp said:
Correct me if I'm wrong here, but I thought it was a right of people to participate in class action lawsuits. If Sony enforces an approval system for doing that in their TOS, it means they limit people's rights and thus the TOS cannot be fully binding due to this fact.

The part about writing a letter of disapproval is dodgy as well. They should give you a clear message that you can decline the TOS. Instead, you can skip over it without ever knowing it. In fact, I cannot believe that clicking a button binds you to a TOS, while a hand-written, signed disapproval needs to be sent to the legal department if you have any objections within a certain timeframe.

/rant

No, their argument would likely be that it's a free service not required in order to utilize the hardware. Of course, a counterargument could be that when you purchased the machine, PSN was a feature advertised on the box, and the ToS were different at the time of sale. And of course, Sony could rebut that sentiment by arguing that ToS were always subject to change and listed as such, at which point the plaintiff could argue that ToS are not spelled out on the box and, therefore, PSN is assumed to be a feature included as part of the hardware sale.

As to whether or not clicking a button could hold up in a U.S. court as proof of someone's legal agreement to bind themselves of said ToS, I agree, I don't think it would hold up well in court. That being said, though our constitution hasn't changed, our laws certain have -- drastically. If a judge merely wants to uphold the law without delving deeper into a law's constitutionality, there could be grounds to side with Sony when it comes to this type of litigation. Media law has greatly changed in favor of businesses over the last 10 years.

DxEggman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Zarcon said:
Eh, don't you have to sign things like this when you go rock climbing or sky diving?

Being able to pirate games is SERIOUS BUSINESS, unlike rock climbing.
rofl.gif

(I'm joking, in case someone decides to get mad at what i said.)

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Zarcon said:

This isn't just about security breaches which they can argue might be beyond their control, this is in general.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse