Hacking New PS3 hacking possible?

maow

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
My Children are after a PS3 for Christmas, if they get a brand new console is hacking for backups possible? Is it a softmod or does the console need to be opened?

Sorry for the newbie question its not something I have look into before, only used DS cartridges.

Jehuty25

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
afaik, the brand new ps3s out now cannot be hacked. Either get a used one or pray that the one you buy from a store has OFW 3.55 or 3.40.

IceIceBird

Trophies
XP
Country
I personly think you gonna be fine even with a ps3 with newer firmware very soon, I think probably right before christmas so keep an eye on the ps3 scenes latest news. For Example Here is some reading to do about an upcomming jailbreak for firmware 3.73 by KaKaRoTo.

Jehuty25

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I personly think you gonna be fine even with a ps3 with newer firmware very soon, I think probably right before christmas so keep an eye on the ps3 scenes latest news. For Example Here is some reading to do about an upcomming jailbreak for firmware 3.73 by KaKaRoTo.
I wouldn't be surprised if all this did was make it possible to create CFW based on 3.73, not enabling anyone to install CFW onto it.

Giga_Gaia

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I wouldn't be surprised if all this did was make it possible to create CFW based on 3.73, not enabling anyone to install CFW onto it.

Actually, it was stated you can install it from 3.73, in other words, this is for people stuck on 3.73,

Then again, if you're on 3.55, someone reliable will just take his work, enable piracy features like backup managers and make a new firmware.

Once reliable working 3.73 CFW starts rolling out from reliable sources, there won't be any points to remain on 3.55.

lukands

I took the little bus here
Trophies
XP
Country
Estonia
I read the info in the link, all it states is jailbroken OFW, nothing about CFW. So people just looking to play free games I think they are out of luck but sounds like good news for the homebrew scene

Jehuty25

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Actually, it was stated you can install it from 3.73, in other words, this is for people stuck on 3.73,

Then again, if you're on 3.55, someone reliable will just take his work, enable piracy features like backup managers and make a new firmware.

Once reliable working 3.73 CFW starts rolling out from reliable sources, there won't be any points to remain on 3.55.
Wow really? Didn't see that part, that would be great :O

maow

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for replies, I think I will hold on the hacking for now. Hope a mod is out soon for new ps3 latest FW.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I read the info in the link, all it states is jailbroken OFW, nothing about CFW. So people just looking to play free games I think they are out of luck but sounds like good news for the homebrew scene
I'm on Official firmware 3.41 jailbroken with a Rockbox USB dongle, I don't have a custom firmware installed and yet I can launch homebrew, backup Managers and play my backuped games from external HDD.

Piracy don't "need" a cfw, it only need a way to launch unsigned (or resigned) homebrew, which Jailbreak is allowing.

Homebrew can be anything, from a legal game, legal applications, to a legal backup manager...
Piracy is what users do with these programs.
The console don't detect if the user is pirating or not, a homebrew is just a homebrew.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: I cant tell what my favorite N64 game is