New protection method in place

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by AdamBrunt, Mar 21, 2010.

Mar 21, 2010
  1. AdamBrunt
    OP

Member AdamBrunt GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Hi all,

Apparently, some of the latest Wii games are using a new form of protection which means even original discs won't work on hacked Wii's.

The first game known to have it is Rugby League 3, which will give the impression of working fine (will load for example) but all bar one of the game's option will be greyed out. Reading other forums, suggests that the protection is based on the game detecting the Trucha Bug on a particular IOS (currently for RL3 rumoured to be IOS53) and then disabling in-game options if it finds it. Wouldn't be at all surprised if this gets applied to Nintendo's future AAA titles (SMG2, new MP, etc)

Am trying to remember which are the IOSes which need to be TB'ed in order for various hacking/homebrew stuff to work ? And whether it would be simple enough to recode them ?

Thoughts ?

2. tueidj

Member tueidj I R Expert

Any facts to back this story up?

3. Thoob

Member Thoob LOLmonade.

United Kingdom
    This'll definitely work...
    All this will do is force people to pirate the game and get a patched version.

4. SFenton

Member SFenton ಠ_ಠ

United States
    Well, after a quick Google, people are getting it to work on Wiiflow with patched IOS53. So I'm not sure whether this "new protection" actually has a base or not.

5. Bladexdsl

Member Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    so big N is making it so even original games won't work on a modded wii? [​IMG] !!! nice move nintendo. BAH it'll be cracked when smg2, metroid M and all of big n's other hot titles get released just don't download them straight away. patience [​IMG]

6. HiBit

Member HiBit GBAtemp Fan

Germany
  7. tueidj

Member tueidj I R Expert

I said facts, not assumptions made by gbatemp users.

8. WiiPower

Member WiiPower GBAtemp Guru

Germany
    It's a 3rd party title, i guess only games from that publisher and/or developer will get that protection. And we need more information about the configuration in which it works on usb loaders.

9. AdamBrunt
    OP

Member AdamBrunt GBAtemp Advanced Fan

So, the only way of getting the game to work is by unpatching IOS53, isn't 'fact' enough for you ?

10. WiiPower

Member WiiPower GBAtemp Guru

Germany
    And how do you explain the claims that it works in usb loaders? Which cIOS does not accept trucha/unsigned content?

11. wilsoff

Member wilsoff GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Unless the devs were foolish enough to hard code a check of IOS53, rather than a check of the IOS used to load the game. Perhaps?