Hacking New problem with Cyclowiz - please help!!!!

jester55

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hey guys - hope someone here can help me out!
As a side note - I have searched for 3 days on this and other forums concerning my issue. None of the current issues or solutions I have found work for my issue. Also, I am not a total newbie to soldering, but I am a newbie in soldering something this small. I do know how to get a good connection for the most part.

I'll tell my whole story so you can maybe see what I need to do to fix this thing. When I first installed the chip - nothing worked right. I did a wire install. I had bridged a couple connections around A, B, and C points on the Wii.

I then used solder braid on the A,B,C points to start over. I reapplied very small amounts of solder over the contacts again and re soldered the wires from the ABC points of the chip. This time I used a multimeter for bridges and I was more restful to see what I was doing. My solder job looked alot better (see pics below). I never could get the reset/disable wire to work right so I left it off. Upgrade wires and switch worked out fine. I booted up around 7 different burned games with no problems. Everything checked out fine. I was excited and went to bed after putting it back together.

The next day the trouble starts. I boot up a backup and play for a little while. Then I put another backup I tested the night before and get a DRE. I then try to boot the backup I played earlier and it gets a DRE. I then test all the others I tested and they all get DRE's! I unplug, power off, and reboot Wii - still DRE on everything.

Open up Wii, see no green LED Cyclowiz. Checked points G/V and had 3volts - so it was getting power. Using G as my ground I tested points ABC&S on cyclowiz and Wii board, and they ALL read 3volts. I thought this all read right, so frustrated, I shut down Wii and begin my search for the solution in the forums. After reading about the solutions to various other problems I had seen on the forum (dead drive, cyclowiz losing sync, etc), I go back to my Wii to see if I have these same problems.

I was surprised to see that the Wii and Cyclowiz booted up correctly with solid green LED! I tried one of my backups and everything works great again. I then go and test the points on cyclowiz and wii board for power again to see if there is anything different. GV = 3volts/ BC&S = 3volts, but point A = 0! No Power at point A! I then check the A point on Panasonic DMS chip, and it also read no power. So I play another backup for a little while,and it works fine. I then try another backup and in the middle of playing it freezes and gets a DRE. Thought it was a DRE for that specific disc so I put the original backup that was working in and it will not boot.

Cyclowiz still has a solid green light. I then check the points again for power, and NOW point A is receiving 3 volts again. So I unplug and reboot wii. Everything looks good again (solid LED) and I then check point A. It still have 3volts and no backup disc will boot. (All originals boot fine by the way throughout all of this). Its late so I go to bed and unplug wii to tackle problem next day.

The next day I boot up everything, receive solid LED, and test all points again. Strangely, the A point is NOT receiving 3 volts on cyclowiz, wii board, or pano chip. I then pull my backups out again and everything works great AGAIN! I play around 3 different back ups for 20 minutes or so each with no problems. Testing the points after each one. Still no power to point A. Then in the middle of playing the forth backup, it freezes to a DRE. I then check point A and sure enough, I now have 3 volts running to point A again! I test the original 3 backups that worked/booted fine, to recieve no booting for all of them!

I have since ran this test several times. Each time that the Point A begins receiving 3volts I have to unplug the Wii for atleast an hour. Once the hour is up I reboot and verify no power to point A and all backups work for a while until the power kicks in on point A again. So - what gives? Can anyone tell me what the h*** is going on? Obviously there is some sort or inconsistency with point A. Is the problem with my chip or my wii board? How can I fix this?

Thanks for your help and sorry for the long post.

-jester55

BIG NOTE: ALL original Wii and GC discs work perfect no matter what the points read or what the Cyclowiz read via LED!!! (Thank God i didnt fry my Wii!!)

PICs:
everything.JPG

cyclowiz.jpg

Wii-board.jpg

Hogmeister

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you sure nothings shorting out on the cyclowiz itself? take a microscope to i and look thuroughly, sounds ilke you've got something just barely touching or something heating up causing problems. therse a spot on the cyclowiz that makes me wonder if its bridged but i dont have a cyclowiz to look at myself to knwo if theres something wrong in the pic or not. but i mean look damned close and just double check.

jester55

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I have gone over every point with a multimeter looking for bridges both before and after it start malfunctioning. Nothing checks out other than when there IS power TO point A - It does not work. No power - works/ with power - doesnt work. can you give me a suggestion on how to microscopically looka t the chip?

thanks for the reply!
-jster55

Hogmeister

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i dunno i've got this magnifying glass jober thingy from a tattoo kit that i use to check my connections w/ . the reason i'm saying this is because if you look at the cyclowiz pic you have there, on the right hand side underneath the two wires on the main section, therse a block of 4 solder pads.. and the top two look like theres some solder between them, i dunno if thats sposed to be like that or not.

now on my wiikey install i also found my modchip to be no working when i first tried booting it up, under closer inspection i had about a .01" bit of unmelted solder stuck up against the capacitor, i took that out and it was working, check to make sure nothings near any other chips on he board. i know you probly have done it but you can never inspect it close enough. the connections on your wii look pretty good (although some overheating near the connections nothin that would cause issues) is only reason i suspect it being something to do w/ your chip.

sorry if this gets nowhere just tryin to help out ;P

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Hello @realtimesave.