1. alexander1970

alexander1970 I'm totally a bot!

Austria
  2. Pokemon_Tea_Sea_Jee

Pokemon_Tea_Sea_Jee GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    Would have been much better in 2010. Still, the prospect of this happening for PS4 is interesting.

3. rs1n

rs1n GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I’m curious how you would install this image on a slim model — because the fact is you can’t. I’m aware early slims can be modified to accept an internal drive but that already is a major drawback.

This method means the only cost of entry is a computer (which just about everyone has) and blank media (which is dirt cheap). Even my grandma can get this set up... and she’s been dead for years.

4. arjunpatel

arjunpatel Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United States
    huh this whole time i thought it was a hardware problem well that sucks , doesn't even bother me though the home-brew community for ps4 is nonexistent

alexander1970 likes this.
  5. HaloEffect17

HaloEffect17 Hiya!

Canada
    So can you load mcboot on the dvd and save it to the memory card? I dont want to keep burning multiple dvds for backups.

6. Goku1992A

Goku1992A GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I wish DEV's can be discreet because 9/10 times whenever they broadcast a new exploit Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo kills it. This is mainly why soft mods are basically dead now in this gen if the devs waited for PS4 to be EOL we could have had a fully exploited system but sometimes a DEV's "5 minutes of fame" killed the PS4 jailbreak scene. Another reason why "software updates" exist is to combat any type of exploit if found. As of right now the only current gen is currently modded is Nintendo so basically Next Gen is going to be the same thing or no systems modded from the look of things.

alexander1970 and arjunpatel like this.
  7. RaZoRNo1

RaZoRNo1 Newbie
    Newcomer

Germany
    Nice exploit
    I just checked my slim 0C PS2 and it has the 3.11E driver on it, so it should work (at the moment I dont have an empty disc here...)

It is really awesome to have this kind of exploit still hapening to old devices.

BTW:
    Has anyone checked, if any Xbox /other DVD devices are impacted by this, too or is it just a Playstation specific hack?

8. Ryccardo

Ryccardo watching Thames TV from London

Italy
    FMCB/FHDB only provide a persistent homebrew entrypoint (via an unofficial system update), they do not run game backups from HDD/USB/Ethernet/FireWire (OPL does), and yes all of those are receiving updates (though you need to be realistic about the performance of USB 1)

You're thinking of the superslim (SCPH-9xxxx) - some of them (not all - most of R-chassis ones but still some exceptions) have rom version 2.30 which removed support for updates from memory card

Hell no!
    Not even the CECH-A and B are 100% accurate to a real PS2... and they run hotter and consume over 3x the power anyway :D

You can use a file manager (*LaunchELF) to run the FMCB installer from USB, yep
    and again, this has nothing to do (directly) with disc or digital game backups

Your question is unclear, but no matter how you bend it it's a No:
    - You can't run this exploit from a CD because the mechacon only recognizes DVDs as movie discs
    - You can't run this exploit on a PS1 because of the above, the fact the PS1 doesn't have a DVD-Video player (or read DVDs at all)
    - You can't use this exploit to load copies of game discs because, just like any (known to date) non-chip method, it doesn't bypass the mechacon and its protections
    A "3 wire" non-stealth PS1 chip with a power switch is the most reliable and cleanest option for nonoriginal PS1 discs on a PS2 (or, of course, a fat PS1) - connect its data line to what most PS2 chips call "SX"

StrayGuitarist and alexander1970 like this.
  9. Graxer

Graxer Member
    Newcomer

That's what I did. I booted up the FreeMCboot installer using this exploit, installed onto my memory card and then removed the burned disc. Now all I need is to have the memory card inserted to run homebrew.

10. duwen

duwen Old Man Yoshi

United Kingdom
    Hopefully this will re energize the ps2 homebrew scene.
    Personally I'd love to see this lead to the creation of a "freeloader" style disk that will allow me to run my legit ps1 and ps2 imports on a non chipped console.

alexander1970 and StrayGuitarist like this.
  11. Tumoche

Tumoche GBAtemp Regular

Spain
    Working on my scph 7004 3.10E, great work.

12. Ryccardo

Ryccardo watching Thames TV from London

Italy
    Won't happen (unless a mechacon override is discovered, as is the case on most nonjapanese PS1s) - foreign discs* are blocked in hardware by the mechacon

* strictly speaking, there's no such thing as a foreign disc to a consumer PS2 - it's no different from a CD-R of windows 95; but if you had a 75000 or newer DEX console, there would be your officially-almost-region-free PS2 :)

13. chrisrlink

chrisrlink Intel Pentium III Hamster inside

United States
    assuming the ps4 (if/when it get's ported) will work will it thoreticly work on current latest fw? 7.50 as of writing well either case it has no HD drive and that channel site is always updated with past/current fw so i don't need to rely on sony when i get a new drive and have it patched out

14. chrisrlink

chrisrlink Intel Pentium III Hamster inside

United States
    welp Cturt already posted on ps3/4 potential the bug still "exist" but another twitter user mentioned the highest privlidge you'll get is userland with elevated status but no kernel access and because of ASLR activated in later fw on ps4 it's as good as dead on updated ps4's though he mentinoned bluray java code execution as being a better alternitive

Last edited by chrisrlink, Jul 1, 2020
  15. cvskid

cvskid GBAtemp Addict

United States
    You should be able to use a .elf file of swap magic to get the same result. Thats what i used to do for imports.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

You would normally open the console up to block disc tray sensors for swapping ps1 and ps2 disc. Mainly ps1 disc.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

I remember esr and esr patcher having issues not loading certain games like parappa the rapper 2. I don;t know if it's been fixed to have compatibility with all ps2 games yet or not though.

Last edited by cvskid, Jul 1, 2020
    alexander1970 likes this.
  16. aadz93

aadz93 Hypavisah

United States
  17. BeastMode6

BeastMode6 Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Throwing in my 2 cents: I have a 90001 (the silver one), version 3.11U. Used the 3.11 only disk, and it worked fine. Put Fortuna Project on a USB drive, plug that in, and copy over to my memory card. Now I can use that as an entry point.

VinsCool, cvskid and zfreeman like this.
  18. konamicode89

konamicode89 Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United States
    This is really cool stuff, showed up on my Google feed the other day and I can't wait to try this out. This is really neat for creating mcboot cards without the need of much else besides a blank DVD and the mem cards itself

19. CactusMan

CactusMan Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Netherlands
    Hello world.

Last edited by CactusMan, Jul 1, 2020
  20. BeastMode6

BeastMode6 Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United States
    My only issue now is that OPL only supports SMB 1, and I’m not opening myself up with that security risk.

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - PlayStation, FreeDVDBoot, exploit