1. Azerus_Kun

Azerus_Kun GBAtemp Regular

Uruguay
    i might get a ps2 now, i saw the slim at a friend's house and it seems like the perfect console to just put on a backpack when you are going somewere you know there's a tv

StrayGuitarist likes this.
  2. StrayGuitarist

StrayGuitarist A genuine feline disaster.

United States
    Honestly, yeah. I used to bring my slim PS2 with Burnout 3 to my friend’s houses all the time. That and Guitar Hero 2.

Azerus_Kun likes this.
  3. Azerus_Kun

Uruguay
    really? i might ask my friend to test and sell me his then, although that one already has a modchip so this wont be that useful,a local fair had two for sale but they did not include power bricks or controllers, and werent in good overall condition

4. StarGazerTom

StarGazerTom GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Thinking deeper and deeper about this, if folks start experimenting and get a drag and drop patcher for iso's to work this this, that'd be absolutely incredible. I could build a collection of burned ps2 games again, and not have to worry about having to find them/emulate them, ect. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if there's someone out there in the world right this very moment giving it a try. Maybe 2 someone's.

Hopefully a universal exploit can be accomplished for all dvd firmwares so burners don't need to worry about any sort of compatibility issues for, say when lending to a friend.

Edit: Sudden thought, what's the compatibility with multi-disk games? I'd imagine those will break....

Last edited by StarGazerTom, Jun 29, 2020 at 11:30 PM
    Julienbdes12 likes this.
  5. Goku1992A

Goku1992A GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    For me personally I always had a hard time making games work on my external HD for my wii I honestly gaveup so I don't mind burning DVD's for my wii. My PS2 on the other hand freemcboot did the job fine I guess I got tired of burning DVD's and waiting a long time with winhip I just use my Computer for both my Wii and PS2.

The sweet thing I get a better resolution

6. PainToad

PainToad GBAtemp Regular

Amazing work. Guessing this won't work with PS1 CDRs?

7. Tweaker_Modding

Tweaker_Modding Siezure Dice™

United Kingdom
    i’m really interested in the last part which is the possibility of this exploit (or similar) working on PS3 and PS4

Subtle Demise likes this.
  8. weatMod

weatMod GBAtemp Addict

United States
    this is pretty amazing , the only thing that would be more amazing is finding a PS2 that still has a working DVD drive

i just bought a free mc boot card like a year and half ago , but since none of the 5 PS2's i own have a working DVD drive i still don't feel so bad about this release

DS1 likes this.
  9. RedBlueGreen

RedBlueGreen GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Canada
    Just so everyone knows, burning PS2 games games is a bigger PITA than Wii. You need to use a special patcher on the ISO for the PS2 to be able to read it if you're using a softmodded PS2

0x3000027E likes this.
  10. SSG Vegeta

SSG Vegeta GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    This is going to be awesome since I was looking for some DBZ BudoKai 3 mods to play on my PS2.

11. WiiEJECT

WiiEJECT GBAtemp Regular

Argentina
    This is interesting cause the DVD player runs on embedded software nowdays on basically anything, and I can't imagine companies modifying that silly component on their consoles. This could be (emphasis on could) an entry point to the OG Xbox, the 360, the PS3 and any other system with a standar built-in VideoDVD reader.

12. Windows_10_User

Windows_10_User GBAtemp Regular

Portugal
    ESR, HD loader and Simple Media System don't show up after installing FMCB, after inserting a burned backup it states "DVD Player is not set up"use GSM Selector and I always have a "No signal" message on the TV after choosing 1080p and booting from all the available paths (PS2 Browser, etc.). Is the latter related to the PS2 to HDMI converter I'm using and I'm forced to use component cables?

Last edited by Windows_10_User, Jun 30, 2020 at 2:18 PM
  13. Plstic

Plstic Guru Meditation Error

United States
    That is only for ESR. This is for stock consoles.

0x3000027E likes this.
  14. Lumstar

Lumstar Princess

United States
    If this can be refined to work reliably enough to play any burnt PS2 game on any model console, it'll make Freemcboot obsolete for most titles.

Barring a few a exceptions. Like PS1 games. Or games with load times bothersome enough they belong on HDD.

15. Immortallix

Immortallix Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United States
    That's pretty much the opposite of my experience, what issues are you having on Wii? I find loading games off Wii much easier (with USBLoader GX anyways).

16. 64bitmodels

64bitmodels GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    wouldnt it be a better option to get a used ps3 and homebrew it tho???
    PS3 has ps2 backwards compatibility

17. Azerus_Kun

Uruguay
    same friend had a superslim ps3, its way bigger than the ps2 slim, and take into account only some of the fat models support ps2 bc, also, ps3 is still fairly expensive here, 7000-9000 uyu (166-213ish dollars) for a working slim or superslim, a slim ps2 is between 2000 and 4000 uyu (47-95ish usd) i just want something to throw into my backpack, that plugs into any tv with composite (for when in hotels or visiting relatives because they all have old tvs) and that wont make me (too) angry/sad if it ever ends up stolen/lost/destroyed

64bitmodels likes this.
  18. banjo2

banjo2 gamer

United States
    Wouldn't most prefer to stick to USB loading? I'd rather do that than having to swap my discs every time I want to play something else.

19. 64bitmodels

64bitmodels GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    please dont start another digital vs physical argument

20. player594

player594 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    This only works if you have a working usb port which my ps2 does not. Think I'll try to burn freemcboot to a dvd and install it to my memory card.

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - PlayStation, FreeDVDBoot, exploit