1. VinsCool

VinsCool Persona Secretiva Felineus

Canada
    It's worth pointing out that if there was any model that patched out the FreeMCBoot exploit, it would most likely become usable for homebrew if the DVDPlayer is compatible.

2. StarGazerTom

StarGazerTom GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Well shit, that was quick to merge those 2 variants. Hopefully as they widen further and further, they'll keep trying to implement the next latest version.

I actually have a lightscribe dvd drive in the attic. I'd love to make some repo's for myself. Sure, they won't look as good, especially cases, but it'd be absolutely awesome to have them!

Zurdonx likes this.
  3. iCEQB

iCEQB GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Doesn't fortuna work on these?

4. uyjulian

uyjulian Homebrewer

United States
    Fortuna exists

5. VinsCool

Canada
    I may have been out of the loop with PS2 hacks, what is Fortuna?

StarGazerTom likes this.
  6. nero99

nero99 GBAtemp Addict

United States
    But what’s the point when FreeMCboot is far superior?

7. VinsCool

Canada
    For a person who doesn't have a FreeMCBoot card, or a way to install it with the different entrypoints, burning a dvd, then run the FreeDVDBoot exploit makes it incredibly easy to then install FreeMCBoot, to my understanding.

Valery0p likes this.
  8. uyjulian

uyjulian Homebrewer

United States
  9. VinsCool

Canada
    Thanks, I ended up with the same link a moment ago, pretty neat.

Well in this case, the DVD exploit could be used to install Fortuna, so it's not entirely useless :D

Last edited by VinsCool, Jun 29, 2020
  10. MasterJ360

MasterJ360 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    This is amazing atleast ppl wont have to go great lengths on making a freemcboot card. I already did back in 2011 so this is a great alternative.

Last edited by MasterJ360, Jun 29, 2020
  11. 0x3000027E

0x3000027E GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Neat, but modchip still superior method.

12. coffinbirth

coffinbirth GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Currently...no.
    This requires specific PS2 DVD FW versions, and obviously the PS3 does not use the same drives as a PS2, being a BD drive, and all. That being said, according to the dev this could potentially work on ALL Playstation consoles, but we're not there yet.

13. Something whatever

Something whatever Gazer of the East

United States
    Since the exploit allows elf binaries to load something like this shouldn’t be too hard, you just burn the freemcboot installer onto a disc

14. RobertX

RobertX Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Canada
    spectral, thanks for clearing that up.

I already have a Playstation 2 that still works, and is with a mod chip, but the lasers are so back, it only accepts Ridata DVD-Rs. I guess I should wait until the Playstation 2 dies out before buying a new one and changing the images.

Is it still advisable to use top-grade DVD-Rs/+Rs when burning to the disc?

15. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

well to be fair afaik its an exploit in the DVD player software, not the drive itself, so any exploit on a different console i.e PS3 would require someone checking the DVD/Blueray player function to see if its susceptible to a similar buffer overflow, its possible but given the PS3 security architecture I would imagine they would need a chain of exploits to get past the hypervisor etc, and it would no doubt be dependent of what FW version the console itself is running rather than what drive its using , same problem with the xbox 360, it might be a useful entry point, but would again no doubt need a chain of exploits to be totally useful.

things like the Xbox original would probably be a good second candidate for using the same exploit concept, although you would need a DVD remote dongle to play DVD's without already having the console exploited

really the PS2 is the only console I can think of that uses DVD video built in, maybe if a similar exploit is found for audio CD's then you could make self booting PS1 backups

Ryccardo likes this.
  16. |<roni&g

|<roni&g GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Think you have to burn a new disc with the boot files anyway. I've kept all my discs since 06 & they've came in use a few times

17. coffinbirth

coffinbirth GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Correct.
    I would imagine that running unsigned code on a PS3 via this method wouldn't get you very far by itself, but chainloading it with additional exploits isn't an impossibility. That being said, it kinda defeats the purpose of the ease of use of this like it is on PS2, and other existing exploits would probably be preferable anyways. PS4 is an even more unlikely scenario, but a potential entry point is always welcome.

18. Sheimi

Sheimi A cute Vixen!

United States
    This is pretty neat, can install free mcboot

19. Immortallix

Immortallix Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United States
    This is good for me because quite a few games stutter way too much off the HDD loaders.

20. StrayGuitarist

StrayGuitarist A genuine feline disaster.

United States
    There was a model of slim PS2 that had squared off buttons instead of rounded ones that I recall had some major difficulty with FMCB for some reason. Then again, getting your hands on a Slim with a working laser is.. tricky. But hey, now if I wanna set up a friend with some homebrew, I don’t have to make a FMCB card for them.

Azerus_Kun likes this.

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - PlayStation, FreeDVDBoot, exploit