1. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Dick, With Balls
    Reviewer

United States
    Yes, but it's something most people* are probably going to have still in their house somewhere, and same with a DVD burner.

*people who are interested in modding older consoles, anyways.

2. Jokey_Carrot

Jokey_Carrot ̶g̶b̶a̶t̶e̶m̶p̶ Heroin Addict

United Kingdom
    Japanese government wants to know your location.

StarGazerTom likes this.
  3. Rioluwott

Rioluwott GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mexico
    would this work on an unmodded phat ps3 using the backward compability?
    asking for the sake of knowledge rather than wanting to use it

StarGazerTom likes this.
  4. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...
    Global Moderator

Poland
    Very cool. I remember having to look for exploitable games or a friend who already had FreeMCBoot, to the point that forum goers would offer preparing and sending FMCB memory cards as a service. This makes things significantly easier, well done!

5. Valery0p

Valery0p GBAtemp Fan

Italy
    Man, this thread is a mess. You can use the premade image with uLaunchELF and load the FMCB installer from USB and never use the disc anymore, as long as your DVD player version is supported.
    Patching your isos to load through this exploit was just a Proof of Concept, not the ideal use case.:glare:
    We have OPL guys...
    As others have said this is a lot easier to replicate on your own, without the need to buy any special purpose hardware.

Last edited by Valery0p, Jun 29, 2020
  6. Clydefrosch

Clydefrosch GBAtemp Guru

Germany
    shouldn't that enable people to make a fmb stick/memory card too?
    ah, should've looked closer.

well, i got mine already, but it was kind of a chore getting it back in the day without access to ebay.

Last edited by Clydefrosch, Jun 29, 2020
  7. spectral

spectral GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Its neither of those things. You don't install anything, that's the point. Its something you do to the disc image before burning it and the disc will load in the PS2 without having to do anything else. It's brand new though so there isn't really anything available that uses it yet.

8. PatrickD85

PatrickD85 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Netherlands
    It's never to late for such news now is it ;)

9. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

have to wonder if some sneaky sneakies will start churning out repro PS2 games in china utilising this exploit to create mastered copies of the really expensive titles like rule of rose in the hopes of passing them off as genuine games

while there isn't too many expensive games for the PS2, it does open the door to things like repro's of expensive games popping up like they do with NES/SNES games

Last edited by gamesquest1, Jun 29, 2020
  10. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...
    Global Moderator

Poland
    The compatibility list is kind of spotty at this stage, the exploit doesn't work on all models/drives, but then again, sneaky sneakies don't necessarily care about quality. :P

gamesquest1 and Valery0p like this.
  11. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

yeah I wonder if once this is worked on a bit more and refined to the point there could be expanded into a single universal exploit, or if its always going to be a 10 different versions setup, I hadn't thought about that fact, if each build would only work on 1 specific player version that kills the mastered repros idea

Foxi4 likes this.
  12. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...
    Global Moderator

Poland
    I guess you could still do it if the repros were "made to order", but that's extra steps. You're right, it would have to be universal.

13. Valery0p

Valery0p GBAtemp Fan

Italy
    About that

Bimmel, Zurdonx, StarGazerTom and 3 others like this.
  14. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

yeah plus the cost would be a lot more if they had to make 10 different batches of each game, from what I understand of the exploit it would be fairly difficult to have all the different players exploited with a single exploit setup, maybe the best you could hope for is having a few that are similar enough to each other that the majority of them might get bundled, but I would imagine a few exotic player versions that completely change how the exploit plays out and needs its own version
    lol, just as I was writing the post above, nice to see its possible to at least merge some of them, fingers crossed it gets to a point where all of them are covered or at least most of the common versions

15. kristianity77

kristianity77 GBATemp old fogey

United Kingdom
    Out of curiosity how is this free mcboot thing this days, has it ever been updated on say the last ten years? I tried it once and found compatibility to be a bit spotty. I remember the getaway not streaming assets in properly, tiger woods not playing sound etc.

I would actually buy another PS2 if someone came out with a dvd drive emu thing like they have for other old consoles.

16. Valery0p

Valery0p GBAtemp Fan

Italy
    Even if it's not possible to make an automatic-boot all version disc, Cturt suggested using the interactive video menus to select a different video file(and so a different loader) for your respective version :)

StarGazerTom likes this.
  17. DJPlace

DJPlace the hater of something i can't recall.

United States
    i wonder if my old ESR burned games would work on this setup it's a shame you can't do out of region games sadly.... and CD games also (i wonder if making a CD game to ISO would work)

18. StarGazerTom

StarGazerTom GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Well, now that the idea is out there, they will.

19. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

its a pretty obvious idea, I remember having a mate in school who bought printable black backed CD-R's and tried to pass them off as genuine PS1 games to a shop, pretty sure he did a few times too.....or at least he claimed he did even though they wouldn't have booted in a none chipped console, once you have games that will boot in a unmodded console the next logical leap for repro-makers etc is to try pass them off as genuine

now if the PS1 gets a similar exploit you wouldn't even need to worry about the little PS logo that appear on the PS2 DVD's

Last edited by gamesquest1, Jun 29, 2020
  20. HaloEffect17

HaloEffect17 Hiya!

Canada
    Can you run games off a usb using this method?

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - PlayStation, FreeDVDBoot, exploit