New Phone for Chirstmas...maybe!

Discussion in 'Android' started by Xexyz, Nov 23, 2013.

?

Which Phone?

1. Samsung Galaxy S4

5 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. LG Optimus G2

5 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. Xexyz
    OP

Xexyz GBATemp's™ Official Xexyz

Jul 29, 2013
    沖縄県
    Hey guys which would you choose The Samsung Galaxy S4 or LG Optimus G2?​
    [​IMG]
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    CPU: Qualcomm Snapdragon 600 1.9GHz Krait 300​
    GPU: Adreno 320​
    RAM: 2GB​
    MicroSD: Available​
    Screen: 5" 1080p 441ppi​
    Battery: 2600mAh Removable​
    Camera: 13MP 30 FPS Video​
    LG Optimus G2
    CPU: Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 2.26GHz Krait 400​
    GPU: Adreno 330​
    RAM: 2GB​
    MicroSD: Not Available​
    Screen: 5.2" 1080p 423ppi​
    Battery: 3000mAh​
    Camera: 13MP 60FPS Video​
    I'm leaning towards the LG but the lack of microsd is making it harder to choose the LG.​

2. Xexyz
    OP

Xexyz GBATemp's™ Official Xexyz

Jul 29, 2013
    沖縄県
    Also the subsidized price for the G2 is $17.49 and the S4 is $99.99.

3. Chocolina

Chocolina GBAtemp Fan

May 28, 2012
    United States
    The only thing S4 has is exactly what you pointed out,The removable back is a fading standard among cell phones. The expandable SD slot is losing relevance as data speeds make the cloud more viable. The problem I have with cloud/mobile data isn't free. Infact its quite expensive to stream your mobile data vs having it locally in your phone.

Another big thing about the removable backing is it makes things like battery capacities irrelevant. So what if the G2 has a larger battery, you can keep a fully charged spare battery in a wallet pocket if your wallet accommodated such a size, or just carry the spare battery on or near your person when handy. For the size of a few credit cards stacked you essentially have twice the power you normally would, and like 70% more than a G2 or even a Note.

Anyway thats as pro Samsung as I'm getting.

S4: Changable battery, expandable storage, likely to keep its value longer on brand name alone.
    G2: Better overall multi-media phone for gaming and emulation.

Couldn't give two shits about their camera though. I'd personally pick the G2 even with the shortcomings of the non-removable back.

Though the best deal in mobile right now is the Nex5.

If you buy an S4, I'll buy it from you for $250 in 4 months. ;D

4. ResleyZ

ResleyZ Swiggity swaggity swooty, I love my own booty

Oct 11, 2013
    Netherlands
    Silicon Valley
    I'd go for the S4. It has some pretty neat features including Air View, Eye Scrolling and more. I have the Note 2, and can't wait till I get a Note 3 for those features. Having a MicroSD is a must for me. If you're interested in custom roms, you'll want to take the S4, since Samsung phones have pretty good compatability fpr custom roms.

5. Flame

Flame Me > You

Jul 15, 2008
    get a nexus 5.

6. Qtis

Qtis Grey Knight Inquisitor

Feb 28, 2010
    The Forge
    Bought a Nexus 5, while my first options where the same as yours. I'll just list a couple of reasons here:

1. Vanilla Android (stock Android), a.k.a. better output for the same specs.
    2. Updates guaranteed for the next few years (at least) for Vanilla Android.
    3. Price. (EU prices, probably €=$ for US). 349€/399€ (16GB/32GB) vs 550€ vs 600€.
    4. Specs. Nexus 5 has comparable specs to the G2 due to it being based on said phone. The S4 on the other hand is a bit older in terms of hardware. Not bad, but not to par with the G2/N5.

FYI Finland has a lot less subsidized offers available and most people just buy the phone separately. The iPhone (>750€) would have been the fourth alternative in this comparison (I did look at the Lumia phones too, but the ones I would have accepted in terms of specs/camera were above my price range or quality/price lower than the Nexus 5).

7. Zerousen

Zerousen 【=◈︿◈=】

GBAtemp Patron
    Zerousen is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 30, 2009
    United States
    I'd say go for the G2, unless you really need that expandable storage.