Gaming New PC (hooray!) but need some help!

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
I bought a new PC that arrived yesterday and need a little help. I've managed to get everything up and running pretty much but I'm having a couple of problems with a couple of things.

Firstly I'm having a problem getting the graphics card to recognise that I've got a dual monitor setup. It's got an onboard GeForce 8100 with dual VGA/DVI ports, but I also managed to talk the guy into throwing in an 8100 PCIe card. I've got 2 monitors. One is a LCD Monitor/HDTV combo jobby and the other is a generic VGA plug and play job. One my old PC with a GeForce 6 AGP card I just hooked my LCD to the VGA port and connected the generic monitor to the DVI port using a DVI->VGA adaptor. It worked perfectly on that card

I've hooked it up the same way to the new card but it doesn't recognise the monitor. Thinking it might be a problem with the card I unplugged it and tried using the onboard connectors but still have the same problem. If I swap the connections around so the generic monitor is in the VGA port and the LCD is in the DVI port through the adaptor it recognises the generic but doesn't recognize that the LCD is plugged in.

Does anyone know what the problem could be. It can't be the PCIe card being faulty because the onboard has the same problem. I've checked the BIOS settings to see if I had to switch the onboard DVI on somehow but there's no setting in there. Setting the old machine back up both monitors are recognised. It's just the new machine with the 8100. Is it a problem with the adaptor maybe? Or is maybe the DVI port checking for a line that a VGA montior doesn't have so it doesn't return a signal? I'm completely stumped. If the onboard ddn't work but the PCIe did or vice-versa I could understand but both not recognising it seems a bit strange.

Secondly, and this is a Linux question! I've installed Ubunto 9.xx (I think it's 9.01) and it's all working fine except I can't seem to connect to my wireless router. Ubuntu recognises the wireless card ok and it returns the list of wireless networks ok but just won't connect. It's obviously finding it as it connects to it and then prompts me for the WEP key. I enter the WEP key and it starts trying to connect again, then after a minute or so prompts me for the key again. I use the exact same key that I use for Windows taken straight off the card provided by BT but it just doesn't seem to accept it and keeps going around in circles.

Any help on either matter would be greatly appreciated!

EDIT : Never mind about the Linux WEP key problem, I've sorted it now. Like a pillock I'd set it to Shared Key on Linux when it should have been Open. Now I have a different problem! lol The connection on Ubuntu is a quarter of the strength it is in Windows and I'm getting crap speeds comparitively. I've check to see if there's a "boost link" option or something similar but can't find one. Does anyone have any ideas?

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Lee79 said:
Have you checked both screens are enabled in the Nivida Control Panel>Set Up Multiple Displays, Settings?

That's the problem, it's not giving me the option of multiple monitors. It just shows one display attached.

vox0rk.png

QUOTE(UltraMagnus @ Aug 7 2009, 01:22 PM) the best suggestion I can give for the wifi problem is to just use a wired network. wireless is completely pointless with a desktop

I haven't got the option of wired. The router for the net is in the kitchen and the PC is upstairs. It seems to be working properly now anyway, I ran the update program and it's silky smooth download rates now. It still only shows 1-2 bars signal strength but the download speed is fine.

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
CockroachMan said:
For the monitors, have you checked all the cables and a connections? Could be a problem with one of them.

For the WiFi, try changing the MTU value on your router.

Checked the connectors and everything. Checked the manuals and couldn't find the info but the company I bought the PC off just wrote back and said neither the card nor the mobo support DVI->D-Sub connectors. Guess I'll have to fork out for another card.
frown.gif
The card was thrown in as an incentive for me to buy so I doubt I'll be able to get any money back from the vendor but I can probably get a few quid for it on ebay. I can live without dual screens for a few days.

edit : Anyboday have an ATI Radeon HD 4350? There's a brand new 1 gig one on eBay for 40 quid which I'm pretty tempted by. It says it's got D-Sub/DVI/HDMI connections which is pretty tempting.

edit2 : Misread the price, it was only 30 quid so have bought it! lol

p1ngpong

Gamer Professional Deluxe
Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia
Oh thats a shame man. Stupid suggestion though, seeing as your mobo and your graphics card each have a dsub input, have you tried plugging a monitor into each of those?

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Ant0pong said:
Oh thats a shame man. Stupid suggestion though, seeing as your mobo and your graphics card each have a dsub input, have you tried plugging a monitor into each of those?

As stupid as a suggestion you think it is erm, no I didn't even think to do it! Bollocks! The new card will be here tomorrow anyway and it's a higher spec. Nice one for that website as well p1ngy, I've made pretty good use of it! The machine scores alot higher on some of the tests than I thought it would. It scores about halfway between minimum and recommended specs on Crysis.

High def stuff plays pretty well as well. I can play 720p vids, browse and a couple of other tasks and the video doesn't even stutter. 1080p plays pretty nicely as well. Using the mobo doing other stuff causes desync issues every now and again but using the card it's fine. With the ATI card it'll probably be slightly better. The card they threw in was a PNY 8400. I asked why the DVI->D-Sub connector wouldn't work and it's something to do with HDCP compliance. I should've thought to ask beforehand really, I did with the ATI card. Lesson learned! My neigbour's taking the PNY off me for 15 notes so the ATI only cost me 15 quid really.

edit : The one thing I'm enjoying the most though is the hard disk space! lol Going from 80 gig to 500 gig is luverly!
yaypsp.gif

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TrolleyDave said:
edit : Anyboday have an ATI Radeon HD 4350? There's a brand new 1 gig one on eBay for 40 quid which I'm pretty tempted by. It says it's got D-Sub/DVI/HDMI connections which is pretty tempting.

edit2 : Misread the price, it was only 30 quid so have bought it! lol
the card is too weak to take advantage of that extra memory

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    I @ idonthave: :)