New owner trying to get the most out of WiiU/vWii

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by rorro, Dec 14, 2014.

1. rorro
    OP

rorro Member

Newcomer
    Nov 8, 2014
    Mexico
    Hi everyone. I recently purchased a Wii U and I want to get the most of out it.

I have installed the Homebrew Channel to my vWii. By the way, I almost bricked my console while following a guide that was for Wii instead of vWii (i know...) but luckily nothing happened.

So yeah, as you can see im a complete noob and basically i have a few questions that i hope someone with a lot more experience than me can answer:

1.- Currently I have CFG loader, Nintendont, and emulators for NES and SNES. What about N64, GB, DS, etc??? Any decent emulators out there?

2.- Is there a way to use only ONE loader for all emulators? Im aware that i can use both vWii and Nintendont in one loader, but what about the other emulators? I like the idea of having everything in one place, with covers and all of that... In fact, the emulators for SNES and NES did have covers until i had to update to another version in order to use my Pro Controller, and that sucks... :(

3.- Is it safe to install a channel for a USB loader on the vWii?? I cannot find any channels compatible with vWii anywhere... Any website, section or topic with channels designed just for vWii?

4.- Currently Im using a 3TB HDD to store the games, but the same HDD has several games for my PS3. Everytime i see the format message i get a little nervous because i dont want to lose 3TB worth of data... is there a way to get rid of that message but still be able to use that HDD with my PS3?

5.- Finally, i know that some users are working on the exploit for Wii U. What im wondering is that the goal is to load backups from the HDD or something else, because the only reason why im not updating my Wii U is to not miss on that possibility. If the possibility of loading Wii U backups from a HDD is completely out of the question, then i think i will update (so i can play online) and keep my vWii softmoded.

Thanks in advance to any user kind enough to answer this questions for me. :)

BrutealMarcus likes this.
  2. thorasgar

thorasgar Checkout my evil Soon-in-atorâ„¢

Jul 3, 2010
    United States
    I am in a similar boat as you. The WiiU is at Grandmas house just waiting for the 25th. My Wii is humming along just fine and I don't want to void my warranty so I will just use both for the next year. I don't think I have updated anything in over two years, but don't fix what ain't broke. :)

Unless my boys get really antsy about online I am going to leave it at 5.2 They will have 10 disks to work through and that should take awhile. Plus they are a bit older now so I am starting to introduce them to a bunch of Wii games they have not played. It is funny they have not played them, but they know HOW to play them very well. Thanks YouTube. :)

3. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    5. They aren't working on Wii U backup loading, but they do have kernel access, which is what's needed for such a thing to be possible at all. If you update, you lose that ability and there may not be another kernel exploit for the foreseeable future. Once the hack is released I expect someone will come up with a way to load backups.

uStealth will make it stop working in his PS3 most likely, so that's no good.

4. Shadowfied

Shadowfied GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Dec 6, 2014
    USB Loader GX + Nintendon't. Nuff said.

5. OriginalHamster

OriginalHamster UStealthy

Nov 2, 2008
    Cote d'Ivoire
    check my signature

6. TehCupcakes

TehCupcakes GBAtemp Regular

Apr 5, 2013
    United States
    3. http://gbatemp.net/threads/forwarders-are-back.340226/

4. I doubt it. If I were you I would leave it unplugged from the Wii U unless you know you are going to be playing on it, but that is kind of a hassle to plug in and unplug all the time. Then, depending on what version your system is on, use the quick menu or hold b on the gamepad when booting up to go straight to vWii mode. (This bypasses the format message.) I believe the hold b was added in 3.0.0 and the quick menu was 3.2.0 or something like that. Most likely if you just got a Wii U you already have version 3.0+, so you should be able to use this method.

5. There are differing opinions on this. Many choose not to update because the only known exploit only works on older versions. However, video game hacking history proves that once an exploit is found for a system, nothing will stop hackers from finding exploits in future versions. Whenever homebrew reaches a state of public release it may only be available on older versions, but within a couple months it will most likely be available on the most recent version. I'm updating because I enjoy the improvements of the latest version (as well as online play and the eShop), and I trust that hackers will find another exploit.

7. tbb043

tbb043 Member

Jan 30, 2008
    United States
    He's already switching it between the Wii and PS3, so it's not really much added hassle. Just keep it unplugged until in Wii mode, and if you're going back into Wii U mode, unplug it first.

I don't know that this is necessarily true any more, look at the PS3, if you're above the firmware with the exploit, and on a system that can't be downgraded to that firmware (which means a lot of slims and all super slims), you're SOL. Look at the 3DS and how long it's taken to get anything for systems above 4.5. Yes, stuff finally came out for later FW, but it took a long time. Maybe it's better to stay low rather than face that wait.

Granted, who knows when any of this WiiU stuff will even be released, so it's all waiting for now. I can see why people give up and upgrade. Particularly when games come out that require higher FW.