New OS for my old Acer-Laptop

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware, Devices and Accessories' started by Wahrrelasse, Apr 3, 2017.

1. Wahrrelasse
    OP

Wahrrelasse Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 28, 2016
    Gambia, The
  2. slaphappygamer

slaphappygamer Frizzle Fry

Nov 30, 2008
    United States
    California
    I tried knoppix a long time ago. That ran well, but I'm not sure if there is anything more current. I tried in 2003ish

3. romanaOne

romanaOne GBAtemp Regular

Apr 18, 2014
    United States
    where the potential goes to zero
    I like Manjaro: It is based on Arch but most everything is set up for you. Whatever you pick, consider getting more RAM: 3GB isn't REALLY enough and will slow things down a lot.

hii915 likes this.
  4. tech3475

tech3475 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 12, 2009
    I prefer Linux Mint with cinnamon, or at the very least the cinnamon UI (which may be possible to install on other distros).

5. Wahrrelasse
    OP

Newcomer
    Apr 28, 2016
    Gambia, The
    It actually has 4 GB of Ram. I don't if more is useful since it's a 32-Bit Laptop

6. jDSX

jDSX Is a furry

Jun 15, 2015
    United States
    Happy furry land with Lucar
    Puppy linux would be a good fit, runs all off of ram you could try lubuntu too.

7. romanaOne

romanaOne GBAtemp Regular

Apr 18, 2014
    United States
    where the potential goes to zero
    Is it 32-bit hardware or just 32-bit Vista?
    Try booting a 64-bit USB Linux live USB (any distro) and see. You might be able to have 2x4GB = 8GB if a 64-bit OS runs.

http://www.swsd.sk/img.asp?attid=77057

8. Evilengine

Evilengine GBAtemp Regular

Jan 30, 2008
    Gambia, The
    I also tried differend Distros, except for Knoppix, the first time.
    try www.distrochooser.de
    For my new PC I chose Ubuntu GNOME, for the old system I chose ElementaryOS, LUbuntu should be also a good choice.

9. Wahrrelasse
    OP

Newcomer
    Apr 28, 2016
    Gambia, The
    I've just tried booting a ubuntu 15.10 64-Bit Livedisk and it works. That means it is 64-Bit compatible right?

10. Wantija

Wantija Member

Newcomer
    Aug 28, 2014
    Canada
    Your CPU is 64 bit, always check the manufactures website.
    https://ark.intel.com/products/3725...r-T4300-1M-Cache-2_10-GHz-800-MHz-FSB?q=T4300
    T4300 is kinda old, and 3GB is really stretching it for how bloated websites are these days. Try Lubuntu or Xubuntu and stick with whichever one runs better. Getting 8GB DDR2 RAM should help but I don't know if the CPU would bottleneck it, if it's cheap go for it. If you want to take it a step further look up upgrading the CPU.

Also it's never impossible to reinstall Windows, just a heads up. Getting a SSD will breathe new life into it if your HDD is old and dying.

Last edited by Wantija, Apr 3, 2017
  11. RoseyDreamy

RoseyDreamy TheKawaiiNeko

Mar 25, 2017
    England
    No point reinstalling Vista because support ends in seven days. I'm really sad to see such a good operating system go, especially since it was never given a second chance.

Try Windows 7 or install a Linux distro such as Mint or, as the above person suggested for a different distro, Lubuntu/Xubuntu. I've tried Xubuntu on worse hardware and it was quite nice.

12. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Legend

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    I didn't know there is people who actually dislike windows os. :blink:

13. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ ☠️Grunt☠️

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    I didn't even boot into Windows 10 before removing it from my laptop.

As for this thread, I got you covered bro! Personally, I always suggest testing out several distros first. Never settle on the first one that works because there's a chance that another one works better. So these are my suggestions
    Linux Mint XCFE
    Linux Lite
    Manjaro
    Antergos+XFCE
    LXLE
    Peppermint OS
    Bodhi Linux
    Solus Linux

These are all distros I've used on older/weaker hardware and found amazing results with.

Wahrrelasse likes this.
  14. Wahrrelasse
    OP

Newcomer
    Apr 28, 2016
    Gambia, The
    Well, I'll try them and decide :) Thank you

15. Sonic Angel Knight

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    Were you gonna melt if you made eye contact with the logo? :P

I need to find a OS, just ordered a laptop with no OS in it to save money, but i need to get steam working on it and not sure if i can without one.

16. Piluvr

Piluvr Resident Masturbator

Jul 27, 2015
    United States
    Behind you
    Lubuntu, or try Zorin OS. I tried it, totally worked for my laptop.

17. MaK11-12

MaK11-12 GBAtemp Regular

Jul 26, 2009
    Namek
    Linux can make use of 64 gigabytes of RAM using a kernel with PAE enabled. Saying that, the CPU in your laptop may support 64 bit software anyway. EIther way, Linux 32 bit will be able to use all 4 gigabytes of RAM on yuor laptop.

Windows 8 was pretty bad, but Windows 10 is a fucking shit show.

For beginners I would recommend Debian. Otherwise use Arch Linux. Both have very good documentation. I honestly think 4GB RAM is enough for most tasks. I have 34 tabs of chrome open, playing music, GIMP image editor open and I've only used 3.4GB RAM.

I just checked the CPU in you laptop (Intel Pentium Processor T4300), and it does in fact support 64 bit, so you can choose either 32 or 64 bit when using Linux. You should go for 32 bit if you have less than or equal to 4GB of RAM.

I hope this helps. :)

Last edited by MaK11-12, Apr 4, 2017
  18. Sonic Angel Knight

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    Well someone gonna need those os if they wanna play games or use some software for it. So to me is either don't use it (If is truly bad) or bear with it to get games like Killer Instinct or some other microsoft exclusives.... including steam windows only games. :unsure:

19. MaK11-12

MaK11-12 GBAtemp Regular

Jul 26, 2009
    Namek
    I don't typically play games on my laptop as it's only intel integrated (as is OP's) and not a dedicated GPU. However, Steam is available on Linux as well as a subset of games. Sure it's not much, but it's really up to the user to decide if they want a speedy, free as in freedom, open operating system or botnet and spyware.

In addition, software like Wine is available to enable the running of some windows software under Linux.

So it's a choice that each user will just have to make tbh. Some people dual boot Linux and Windows, some use GPU pass-through with a Windows VM, others don't use Windows on their laptop but only on their desktop.
    It's a shame that games are typically Windows only, but it's getting a little bit better as time goes on. :)

Last edited by MaK11-12, Apr 4, 2017 - Reason: Minor fixes
  20. Sonic Angel Knight

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    But then why are games mostly windows only?:mellow: