New Nintendo Switch Joy-Con accessory 'Grip Clip' to launch Kickstarter campaign

gc banner.JPG
Launching as a Kickstarter campaign this July 24th is the Grip Clip. This Nintendo Switch accessory aims to provide added comfort to the Nintendo Switch Joy-Cons and the company claims it feels "truly amazing in your hands". How much of that is true remains to be seen but when we were contacted by the creator, this project seemed interesting enough to keep an eye out for.

Grip Clip - Back view.jpg

Grip Clip - Handheld 03.jpg Grip Clip - Controller 03.jpg Grip Clip - Split Joy-Con 01.jpg Grip Clip - Split Joy-Con 02.jpg
As its name suggests, the Grip Clip clips on each Joy-Con to provide a better and more ergonomic grip for your gameplay sessions. It is also designed in such a way that makes it compatible in both handheld and docked mode.

There is no word about the pricing at the time of writing but the official website does mention early bird discount. In any case, expect more details on the Kickstarter campaign linked below when it launched this July 24th.

:arrow: Grip Clip Official Website
:arrow: Grip Clip Kickstarter Campaign

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Though I kinda hate the design, some of us play undocked at home, is nice to play in bed ect.
The Satisfye grip is great for this. It does add a bit of bulk. However, the ergonomics are great. This one looks to be slimmer in profile. While keeping the grips of the joycon holder.

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
How is this more newsworthy than any of the other 30 million Switch Kickstarter campaign that are posted every day?

The product isn't even unique or innovative. There are plenty of Joycon grips already available.

Something smells funny.
Don't get so upset for stupid thing or you'll get a stroke.
What if let's say Prans' cousin wanted to make a kickstarter switch grip and wanted to get some publicity on the temps?
All this is OK.

Thompy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hey everyone. Creator of the Grip Clip here!

Just to clear up a few things related to any questions people had.
- There is a protective case option.

- No rubber coating here, just plastic. It won't wear down

- There isn't a grip on the market that works quite like these, all the alternatives (as far as I know) cover buttons or slip off easily and the Grip Clip was designed not to. It's very different to the Satisfye and Skull & Co grips.

- You can use a pro controller if you like instead! This product will not be as useful to you if you already have a Pro controller. But not everyone does, they're expensive.

If anyone has questions I'll be happy to answer them. The campaign answers a lot of the questions on this thread so be free to check that out if you're unsure!

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Shame that the switch is so poorly designed that kickstarters need to be created just to address its fundamental design flaws. :sad:
It's true that Switch is not comfortable to hold in portable mode for long periods of time. The thing is, this has also been true of every other portable console ever, and there are similar grip products available for those portable systems too.

A couple examples: PS Vita, N2DS XL.

Last edited by Xzi,

burial

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's true that Switch is not comfortable to hold in portable mode for long periods of time. The thing is, this has also been true of every other portable console ever, and there are similar grip products available for those portable systems too.

A couple examples: PS Vita, N2DS XL.

Im a large guy, 6'6" 340lbs, and I never thought that any handheld I owned was uncomfortable to hold until the Vita and Switch.

Teletron1

Space Tech Engineer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo also did design the Joy-Cons to also accommodate their battery pack attachments which were very overpriced $49 at the time but can now be found at Gamestop for $7

You get the sense that Joycons were definitely developed for VR in mind, but as far as this Kickstarter project they're tons of these attachments out there already

joy-con-battery-pack4-660x458.png

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Just to clear up a few things related to any questions people had..........
Since I only play portable I prefer a million times the cheap silicon ones which also add height and more comfortable than the original and also fits in the console portable bag...

Also to use the joy-cons as a console controller is just mehh, they are pure rubbish with very bad joystick precisions, its also much better to buy the cheap Xbox one like controller for the Switch from ebay which costs less than 20€ and is miles better than the joy-cons, the only con is their battery, but I see that they have a lot of room inside so we can buy a cheap battery with a lot of mah from like Hobbyking and upgrade it.

And for using in home the consoles already brings the plastic grips which I never used since I never even tried my console docked, neither I play with the joy-cons portable, they are simply the most expensive crap controllers on this whole planet, some 20$ cheap bluetooth controllers are way better for android crapware devices...

ps: Though in a true portable console they are probably still the best, but nintendo could have really made something much better specially for the price they ask, I think I paid almost 60€ here for just 1 joy-con which mine broke the board for the back button which is badly done too and could have had real triggers for racing games and better joysticks...

Last edited by guily6669,

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Im a large guy, 6'6" 340lbs, and I never thought that any handheld I owned was uncomfortable to hold until the Vita and Switch.
None of them are uncomfortable for a couple hours or less, but all of them are uncomfortable for marathon gaming. Older handhelds tend to be even smaller and come in even more awkward shapes. As a kid/teen they were bearable, but as an adult, stuff like GBA SP is pretty harsh. PSP was a very similar shape to Vita, too.

Reactions: Dignalrump

burial

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
None of them are uncomfortable for a couple hours or less, but all of them are uncomfortable for marathon gaming. Older handhelds tend to be even smaller and come in even more awkward shapes. As a kid/teen they were bearable, but as an adult, stuff like GBA SP is pretty harsh. PSP was a very similar shape to Vita, too.

I only do marathon gaming. Never had a problem with GB, GBC, GBA, GBA SP, GB Micro, DS, 3DS or PSP. There is 1 unique feature that Vita/Switch have over older handhelds. Dual analog sticks....and they absolutely have to have grips to be comfortable.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I only do marathon gaming. Never had a problem with GB, GBC, GBA, GBA SP, GB Micro, DS, 3DS or PSP. There is 1 unique feature that Vita/Switch have over older handhelds. Dual analog sticks....and they absolutely have to have grips to be comfortable.
The only problem with original Gameboy and GBC is that they aren't wide enough for adult hands to rest behind them comfortably, even if you interlock your fingers. GBA has almost the opposite problem, where it isn't tall enough so you suffer from "hook hands" because of the L/R buttons. Same for DS/3DS and PSP/Vita, but even worse with GBA SP and Micro. All of these issues come down to the fact that they were designed for child's hands. Ironically, I'd bet Sega's Game Gear would be the most comfortable for adult hands out of all of them, but I haven't held one recently to know for sure.

Grip accessories solve these problems, though, and that's why they've always been sold in various forms for every handheld on the market.

Last edited by Xzi,

Luxray

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If anyone has questions I'll be happy to answer them. The campaign answers a lot of the questions on this thread so be free to check that out if you're unsure!

Will you still fulfill grips if the kickstarter doesn't pull through, or is a requirement to reach to be able to sell them?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse