New Nintendo Switch Joy-Con accessory 'Grip Clip' to launch Kickstarter campaign

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Prans, Jul 21, 2019.

1. Memoir

Memoir Hi, I'm Cynical!

Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    In the Murderbox!
    The Satisfye grip is great for this. It does add a bit of bulk. However, the ergonomics are great. This one looks to be slimmer in profile. While keeping the grips of the joycon holder.

2. burial

burial GBAtemp Regular

Aug 15, 2018
    United States
    Yep, and they work great. I did it over 1 year ago and havent had any problems.

H1B1Esquire likes this.
  3. sarkwalvein

sarkwalvein There's hope for a Xenosaga port.

GBAtemp Patron
    sarkwalvein is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 29, 2007
    Germany
    Niedersachsen
    Don't get so upset for stupid thing or you'll get a stroke.
    What if let's say Prans' cousin wanted to make a kickstarter switch grip and wanted to get some publicity on the temps?
    All this is OK.

4. Thompy

Thompy Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 18, 2019
    United Kingdom
    London
    Hey everyone. Creator of the Grip Clip here!

Just to clear up a few things related to any questions people had.
    - There is a protective case option.

- No rubber coating here, just plastic. It won't wear down

- There isn't a grip on the market that works quite like these, all the alternatives (as far as I know) cover buttons or slip off easily and the Grip Clip was designed not to. It's very different to the Satisfye and Skull & Co grips.

- You can use a pro controller if you like instead! This product will not be as useful to you if you already have a Pro controller. But not everyone does, they're expensive.

If anyone has questions I'll be happy to answer them. The campaign answers a lot of the questions on this thread so be free to check that out if you're unsure!

tiliarou and sarkwalvein like this.
  5. Xzi

Xzi All your base are belong to the proletariat

pip Contributor
    Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    It's true that Switch is not comfortable to hold in portable mode for long periods of time. The thing is, this has also been true of every other portable console ever, and there are similar grip products available for those portable systems too.

A couple examples: PS Vita, N2DS XL.

Last edited by Xzi, Jul 22, 2019
  6. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Actually those are included.
    If you want the one with USB-C charging though, that's extra.

7. burial

burial GBAtemp Regular

Aug 15, 2018
    United States
    Im a large guy, 6'6" 340lbs, and I never thought that any handheld I owned was uncomfortable to hold until the Vita and Switch.

8. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    those damn joycons were designed for little Japanese girls hands

guily6669 and IncredulousP like this.
  9. Teletron1

Teletron1 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 4, 2019
    United States
    EARTH
    Nintendo also did design the Joy-Cons to also accommodate their battery pack attachments which were very overpriced $49 at the time but can now be found at Gamestop for $7

You get the sense that Joycons were definitely developed for VR in mind, but as far as this Kickstarter project they're tons of these attachments out there already

[​IMG]

10. Osakasan

Osakasan GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 19, 2015
    Uuuuuhhh that comes packed in with the console. It's literally inside the box.

11. guily6669

guily6669 GbaTemp is my Drug

Jun 3, 2013
    United States
    Doomed Island
    Since I only play portable I prefer a million times the cheap silicon ones which also add height and more comfortable than the original and also fits in the console portable bag...

Also to use the joy-cons as a console controller is just mehh, they are pure rubbish with very bad joystick precisions, its also much better to buy the cheap Xbox one like controller for the Switch from ebay which costs less than 20€ and is miles better than the joy-cons, the only con is their battery, but I see that they have a lot of room inside so we can buy a cheap battery with a lot of mah from like Hobbyking and upgrade it.

And for using in home the consoles already brings the plastic grips which I never used since I never even tried my console docked, neither I play with the joy-cons portable, they are simply the most expensive crap controllers on this whole planet, some 20$ cheap bluetooth controllers are way better for android crapware devices...

ps: Though in a true portable console they are probably still the best, but nintendo could have really made something much better specially for the price they ask, I think I paid almost 60€ here for just 1 joy-con which mine broke the board for the back button which is badly done too and could have had real triggers for racing games and better joysticks...

Last edited by guily6669, Jul 22, 2019
  12. Xzi

pip Contributor
    Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    None of them are uncomfortable for a couple hours or less, but all of them are uncomfortable for marathon gaming. Older handhelds tend to be even smaller and come in even more awkward shapes. As a kid/teen they were bearable, but as an adult, stuff like GBA SP is pretty harsh. PSP was a very similar shape to Vita, too.

Dignalrump likes this.
  13. burial

burial GBAtemp Regular

Aug 15, 2018
    United States
    I only do marathon gaming. Never had a problem with GB, GBC, GBA, GBA SP, GB Micro, DS, 3DS or PSP. There is 1 unique feature that Vita/Switch have over older handhelds. Dual analog sticks....and they absolutely have to have grips to be comfortable.

14. Dignalrump

Dignalrump Newbie

Newcomer
    May 21, 2019
    United States
    Maryland
    Seems cool enough

15. Xzi

pip Contributor
    Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    The only problem with original Gameboy and GBC is that they aren't wide enough for adult hands to rest behind them comfortably, even if you interlock your fingers. GBA has almost the opposite problem, where it isn't tall enough so you suffer from "hook hands" because of the L/R buttons. Same for DS/3DS and PSP/Vita, but even worse with GBA SP and Micro. All of these issues come down to the fact that they were designed for child's hands. Ironically, I'd bet Sega's Game Gear would be the most comfortable for adult hands out of all of them, but I haven't held one recently to know for sure.

Grip accessories solve these problems, though, and that's why they've always been sold in various forms for every handheld on the market.

Last edited by Xzi, Jul 23, 2019
  16. Luxray

Luxray Member

Newcomer
    Jul 13, 2019
    United States
    Will you still fulfill grips if the kickstarter doesn't pull through, or is a requirement to reach to be able to sell them?

17. CrossOut

CrossOut GBAtemp Regular

Aug 12, 2018
    United Kingdom
    It looks like it has a tumour. Ill pass on it.