New Nintendo Power renewal service sucks

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by jumpman17, Apr 23, 2008.

Apr 23, 2008
  1. jumpman17
    OP

Former Staff jumpman17 He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!

United States
    Since they've switched to Future US, they send me an "URGENT! IMPORTANT! You're subscription is coming to an end! RENEW NOW!" every month since they've started, even though I had like, 10 issues left.

Plus, the only thing I get for resubscribing is The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass Strategy Guide. What happened to the "pick any strategy guide you want from this list of 30-40 of them"?

2. wilddenim

Member wilddenim Candy!

United Kingdom
    Is that IGN website?

I've since lost Zelda guide from them. I only subscribed to IGN website for that guide. But I felt it wasn't worth the money since I don't play games they usual play.

3. Awdofgum

Member Awdofgum Wadofgum

United States
    I agree. I ended my subscription with NP. Their magazines aren't what they used to be.

Also I think the "pick any strategy guide you want from this list of 30-40 " only works for first time subscribers or for subscriptions that aren't renewed immediately.

But I'd gladly take that Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass Strategy Guide off your hands.

4. jumpman17
    OP

United States
    Nope, I've been picking from a list every time. You just had to renew your order online as the cards in the magazine only let you pick between a shirt or whatever the newest guide was.

5. wilddenim

Member wilddenim Candy!

United Kingdom
    Ah! Thanks for correcting me.

6. Awdofgum

Member Awdofgum Wadofgum

United States
    That's right. In that case I might renew my subscription online soon. Thanks

7. zidane_genome

Member zidane_genome My sword has a +2 bleeding... wanna test it out?

United States
    well, if it's the hardbound guide, I'll pay for shipping to me if you don't want it!

8. jumpman17
    OP

United States
    It says special Digest Edition. Whatever that it.

I don't plan on renewing yet, I usually wait until 2 months are left which would be in another 2 months. I'm hoping they go back to the pick a guide renewal by then.

9. sk3tch

Member sk3tch GBAtemp Fan

United States
    The "new" Nintendo Power is still great. I'm more disappointed with the "new" Official PlayStation Magazine (U.S.) - it sucks.

10. Dylan

Member Dylan 100 MILES AND RUNNIN'

Australia
    the only magazines i read are guitarist australia and official xbox 360 mag

11. shadowboy

Member shadowboy :D

United States
    Remember when you got that Zelda Collector's Edition Disc for resubscribing? THAT was awesome.

Now you just get shit prizes.

12. MC DUI

Member MC DUI GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Australia
    Meh I never buy gaming magazines these days, all the info you could ever want is available on the web earlier than ever.

The only time I do buy one is if I'm travelling with work and bored in an airport.

13. TanookiSuit

Member TanookiSuit Game Reviewer/Writer -- formerly Vampire Hunter D

United States
    Future One can just suck it. My subscription that I had going 'technically' since the first of the Fun Club magazines I let terminate itself in January of this year. NP over the years went from a great high, to then some low points and bad suck up phases in the reviews. In the last 3 years or so now they had a newer staff, great more teen/adult ended format, great general media and stories, and amazingly so they had a pretty damn spot on trustworthy review crew that slammed 1st party and 3rd party alike.

Future took over with like 2-3 magazines left and I was NOT happy about the switch ahead of time fearing the magazine would be compromised. I noticed that the writing changed with a mostly again new staff and while the shell of what was there remained with a few pussywhipped NP remanent staff I felt the review integrity took a dive as well as other bits and pieces. It just felt like they imported a few people maybe with other interests who kind of just put their own spin on things that didn't stick in line with being a clean review format with no other interests. I got po'd they begged with a call once and then even still today a once a month please come back/renew give you a killer rate for returning letter that I rip in half and trash.

14. jumpman17
    OP

United States
    I felt they really hit their stride when they did their latest redesign, when the spine went from white to black. I have noticed a decline since Future US took over, but I'll probably renew my subscription in hopes of them getting better. Worse comes to worse, I wasted $1.66 a month for 13 issues.

Oh, and I love how their mailings always say, "Resubscribe now and get this great price of $19.99 for one year! Last chance! HURRY!" Show me where I can order one year for anything other than $19.99.

15. iffy525

Member iffy525 not famous

United States
    Yeah plus when they changed the color of the spine they didn't even end the "Who Are You?" spine picture they had going on. The fact that it was cut off just one issue away from it being completed annoyed me. [​IMG]

16. DeMoN

Member DeMoN GBAtemp Guru

United States
    I signed up again recently and didn't get any free gift. [​IMG]

It seems that if you order online you don't get a gift, you need to do a mail-in order for it. I missed out on a cool strategy guide.