Hardware New Nintendo 3ds xl Stripped screw

Giangian

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, I ordered a new circle pad for my 3ds. Whilst I was attempting to remove the backplate, the final screw got rounded to the point it won't come out. I don't have a wide rubber band because I obviously don't have it when I need it but I find a billion when I don't need it. Any alternatives for stripped screws? Oh snd I also don't have super glue. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
they have this putty for stripped screws. you'll put it down into the hole (assuming you can unscrew a little), then drill through the screw. be very careful you don't drill too deep. it will destroy the screw and probably back plate, but at least you'll get it off. nintendo sells back plates for about $6 iirc.

Giangian

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh, okay, thanks for that advice. Do you have any ideas on what I can do?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Im a bit nervous on drilling into the console. What am I wanting to achieve with the drill?

I also dont think i have small drill bits

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you might be able to unscrew the screw with the putty. the drill would be for destroying the screw by cutting it in half.

Giangian

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i dont have a soldering iron. And its a bit late for putty. I really don't wanna sound like a Karen that say not because a, b, c, d, e, but thats kinda my situation. I was thinking about a rubber band alternative

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Easy solution : soldering iron. Just cover the screw and the iron in solder and let it cool.
Soldering isn't the same as welding. Soldering bonds well on tin, lead, and copper components. Does not work well on iron, steel, or aluminum, materials that screws are usually made of. There's a good chance of slipping the handle and melting the housing.

i dont have a soldering iron. And its a bit late for putty. I really don't wanna sound like a Karen that say not because a, b, c, d, e, but thats kinda my situation. I was thinking about a rubber band alternative
Not sure if you saw the link in my first post. Go visit your local Home Depot and Walmart/Target/grocery store for those tools. Take your time manually hand drilling the screws out.

Last edited by TurdPooCharger,

Der_Blockbuster

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Soldering isn't the same as welding. Soldering bonds well on tin, lead, and copper components. Does not work well on iron, steel, or aluminum, materials that screws are usually made of. There's a good chance of slipping the handle and melting the housing.
Did that to a screw on my Wii housing and it worked just fine. Ofcourse with everything theres a risk of damaging anything. Definitely worth a try.

Sadly there's no magic trick to solve your problem. Maybe try a bigger screw bit or melt a plastic pen and press it down on the screw.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
a bigger screw bit was another thing I was going to suggest just now. another option might be to use a flat head screwdriver and go at an angle to see if you can nudge the screw at all. if you could destroy the washer as well, you could get the screw to just fall out.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did that to a screw on my Wii housing and it worked just fine. Ofcourse with everything theres a risk of damaging anything. Definitely worth a try.
I'm going to have to disagree with you on that on one technicality.
The external screws on the Wii are much bigger than the ones on the 3DS systems.
I can see how that would work with a large surface area for more bond strength and less likely to accidentally touch the hot tip against the case.

Reactions: Der_Blockbuster

Nemix77

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
High quality rubber band and crazy glue, then use original screw driver (correct size) with pressure and slowly turn counter clockwise.

I have a semi stripped down screw on my Switch too haven't had time to take mine out to replace it yet.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the switch uses triwing? if possible, I try to replace screws with more common ones. the 360 controllers use torx security, and the head of my screwdriver is too fat, so I replaced them with philipshead.

Nemix77

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yes, Switch uses triwig screws.

Not sure if I can replace them with more common ones but I know they sell triwig replacement screws for the Switch on eBay/Aliexpress.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Darn those console manufacturers and their special screws! Like it's going to stop us! Right? RIGHT!? :P

they either have rare screws or low gauge ones. the torx security isn't low gauge, but they're not as common as phillips obviously. I think they use torx security on cars for anti-theft as well.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ButterScott101 @ ButterScott101: +1