Hacking new news post from ds-x team

deathspawn999

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
http://news.ds-x.com/

big post, with a lot of aspiration. anyone with more knowledge on the subject able to further elaborate if what they are saying is possible? how cool would it be if the ds-x turned the ds into a pspclone?

digital_sin

Trophies
XP
Country
Egypt
i was just gonna post the exact same thread! i have no idea what could result from this cpu they have kept secret even from their own customers! is it something to enhance homebrew software?

also, they mentioned that they ARE going to release new hardware, I wonder if that's anytime soon? a bigger/MicroSD DS-Xtreme would be AWESOME!

damn, i'm never gonna buy a flash cart! every day there's something new to wait for!

deathspawn999

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
if you never buy then you are missing out.

im guessing they will put out an 8gb (1GB) first, and POSSIBLY a MSD version, but i doubt they would want to go the MSD route just because if what they are saying is true, variable memory speed could screw shit up with that fancy schmancy processor of theirs.

from what i have gathered from that news post, and another post in the forums from Aphex (their lead designer), the thing could top out at 350 mhz. the psp runs at 333 mhz if im thinking right. this could also use the arm9 and arm7 processors in the ds itself. a full scale pda would be hella easy, if they could some how make it easy to program for. hell, ps1 emulation would be easy for MOST games. it opens a lot of possibilities if it is true, and actually happens. time will tell (and probably a lot of time sadly).

digital_sin

Trophies
XP
Country
Egypt
im guessing they will put out an 8gb (1GB) first.

if they do that, I'm gonna buy it regardless of what else is out there on the market or will be on the market. i dont even want a microsd one, 1GB is enough.

i dunno about a PSOne emulator though, but a processor like this would definatly help with SNES/GBA/N64/NES/...etc emulators.

The real question is will developers get onboard? will homebrew devs develop something to make use of this processor if they know that only people with DS-X will be able to use it? or is the DS-X team going to develop stuff for it themselves? as you said, this will propably take time.

digital_sin

Trophies
XP
Country
Egypt
QUOTE said:
and run it at 10 times the speed your ds is running at ;-)

10times?!
how to do this?
overclock nds?

Basicly, from what i understood from their news blog, and their forum posts;

The DS-X has a built in processor that was hidden from everyone including the people who bought the cart (might explain the burn on the chip that people found when they opened their DS-X, maybe the team was trying to hide it from the curiuos minds out there), It's a 333Mhz processor that's like 10 times faster than the processors in the Nintendo DS Itself! (same one in the PSP basicly)

The whole thing is really sketchy for me, i dont know how will this actually "work" if at all. I dont think this will be of any use to people who just want a flash cart to "backup games". But i guess it will be extremely usefull for stuff like homebrew emulators and apps.

I wonder how will something like this affect the DS's battery life, i'm guessing it's gonna be way lower if Apps are supposed to be running at 333Mhz. i guess we'll have to wait and see.

cenotaph

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
The DS-X has a built in processor that was hidden from everyone including the people who bought the cart (might explain the burn on the chip that people found when they opened their DS-X, maybe the team was trying to hide it from the curiuos minds out there), It's a 333Mhz processor that's like 10 times faster than the processors in the Nintendo DS Itself! (same one in the PSP basicly)

I quote the post:

QUOTE said:
To wrap up the FPGA talk, picture this, the FPGA device sitting inside your DS Xtreme has enough “room” to fit a complete ARM9 core and can be clocked at over 300Mhz !

... not exactly. Besides, it'd eat your battery if it was clocked at those speeds.

I quote wikipedia:

FPGAs are generally slower than their application-specific integrated circuit (ASIC) counterparts, can't handle as complex a design, and draw more power.

Some engineering applications have used a single FPGA device to replace the function of a simple embedded-microcontroller. More recently, a complete 32-bit CPU (Central Processing Unit) core can be implemented through the programmable logic of a high-capacity FPGA. Such CPU cores are known as "soft CPU cores," examples of which being MicroBlaze™, Nios II™ and LatticeMico32™ by Xilinx, Altera and Lattice respectively.

Beyond this, some FPGA devices contain dedicated hardware CPU core(s). Selected Virtex parts from Xilinx contain 1 or more IBM PowerPC 405 CPU embedded cores, in addition to the FPGA's own programmable logic.

So on, and so forth. Just lots of technobabble. Though there seems to be ARM9 softcores, but...

enarky

owls?
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
Not exactly very new. And they haven't "hidden a processor" in the DS-X, it's just implemented in the FPGA. They just stated, in a lot of marketing-speak, what anyone who knows what an FPGA is already knew.

V

Vulpix

Minus another point from me. This nonsense is to fool those non-engineer background people here.

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually, I'm pretty sure I read that there is a CPU on the DS-X, but it runs at 48mhz. THe stuff about 300mhz had to do with the potential with FPGA, but they also admitted that if it was configured to run like that, it wouldn't actually be able to do anything.

digital_sin

Trophies
XP
Country
Egypt
http://forums.ds-xtreme.com/showpost.php?p=14625&postcount=9

QUOTE said:
We also unveiled that we have a CPU on the DS-Xtreme, which was not public knowledge prior to this. I think the post was intended to show where we can head with the DS-Xtreme in the future and that we are by far not done with the product in contrast to recent rumors.

I think this means that yes, they do have "the processor" in there already, not just the "room" for it.

digital_sin

Trophies
XP
Country
Egypt
2devhda just answered my question on the DS-X forums, and clarified the issue a little bit for us. I thought i should share it with you:

QUOTE said:
DiGiTaL_SiN:
No, there isn't an ARM9 processor in there right now. But there is an FPGA with enough room to put one in. Here's a simple description of how this works. An FPGA contains a bunch of customizable logic, and this logic can be arranged to create just about any sort of hardware by loading the appropriate bits into it. So it's a step above emulation. It doesn't just emulate the hardware it's programmed for; it actually becomes that hardware.

Wikipedia will probably have much more info on FPGAs if you're interested. The real revelation in their update was not that there is an FPGA in the DS-Xtreme, but that it's updatable through firmware updates and that they intend to use that updatability to add features sometime in the future. I think that a 300 MHz processor in an FPGA would be a rather large drain on the DS's battery, but it's cool that it's possible.

thanks 2devhda

Lawr.

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Bwhahahahha. I have to laugh at what they wrote for the universal updater:

Universal updater:

This is probably the most heated internal debate. The reason for delay: Perfectionism .
(sic.)

That's funny. That's like saying "i have to be PERFECT with everything - that's my biggest fault!".

The DS-X team is all PR and marketing-speak with very little substance. Yes, I own an DS-X from the very first batch (from GamerSection.ca) and I'm lucky to not have had to endure any plastic-divider shaving. It's time the DS-X team realizes that to provide the customer support they promise, you actually have to DELIVER now and then.

Consider this: their entire development for the DS-X can be easily summed up by that one page in the link. since their development went public in late August, 8 blog posts. E-I-G-H-T. One of which is "Dancing LEDs", another is "we've shipped units to web publications/blogs for reviews". So scratch that - their entire development can be summarized in 6 blog posts.

"Perfectionism", FTW!

Lawr.

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I bet any money nothing will ever come of this super processor rubbish. GG dsx fanboys.

2nd. No one is going to develop homebrew just for the DS-X. And why would they? the DS-X team hasn't even released the FATlib.

The best they can hope for is for something to run from within the DS-X operating system, ie: those programmable workflow / OS widgets they had promised before it was even released, or if they start developing their own homebrew for the DS-X, which is laughable and unlikely to take off considering the bang-up job they've done so far.

Lawr.

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
im guessing they will put out an 8gb (1GB) first.

if they do that, I'm gonna buy it regardless of what else is out there on the market or will be on the market. i dont even want a microsd one, 1GB is enough.

i dunno about a PSOne emulator though, but a processor like this would definatly help with SNES/GBA/N64/NES/...etc emulators.

The real question is will developers get onboard? will homebrew devs develop something to make use of this processor if they know that only people with DS-X will be able to use it? or is the DS-X team going to develop stuff for it themselves? as you said, this will propably take time.

lol, yeah. PS1 emulation? erm, how are the (relatively) weak graphics on the DS supposed to render / process the PS1 graphics? Idiots.

What's more ideal is running Palm OS with a custom dual-screen interface, or something of the like. DSOrganize is nice for what it is, but is still very lacking for a fully functional PDA.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: they be like which lite firefox exe pls