New N5 Revolution in stock at DX

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by FireEmblemGuy, Mar 11, 2008.

Mar 11, 2008
  1. FireEmblemGuy
    OP

Member FireEmblemGuy Finally hit 1000 posts

United States
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.11457

DealExtreme, almost always on the ball, is now offering the new 'N5 Revolution' MicroSD-based flashcard for $31.16. While there are other cards cheaper, this is a dollar and a half lower than the R4 when they last stocked it(the N5 seems to be an R4 clone with a few extra features like microSDHC support, for those uninformed). It's also the cheapest MicroSD flashcard currently in stock, as well. With little known info available, it's probably wise to save your money.

This is the first well-known site I've seen with this in stock, so I figured it worth posting. If I put any wrong info down(which I'm sure I did), please correct me.

2. gratefulbuddy

Member gratefulbuddy amateur lunatic

United States
  3. sk3tch

Member sk3tch GBAtemp Fan

United States
    microSDHC support has been confirmed to *not* work on this, FYI.

4. Urza

Member Urza hi

United States
  5. Linkiboy

Member Linkiboy GBAtemp Testing Area

United States
    Does this work with R4 software? I'm assuming yes, as the files seem to be exactly the same.

I'm ordering one as I don't want to reconvert my saves, and I can't find a cheap R4 anywhere.

6. coolbho3000

Member coolbho3000 GBATemp Kikkoman Naturally Brewed SoySauce Fanatic

Why not a TTDS? IMO it's basically the same as R4 except with SDHC.

7. philthy

Member philthy GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Is this a R4 clone?

8. Sephi

Member Sephi fool

United States
    it is, and its very bad

edit: from Dealextreme forum

9. Shabadage

Member Shabadage GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Wow, lots of hate for the R4. I love my R4, my battery life is longer than with official DS carts (Aka point 4 is BS), never had any of the problems with either of the Castlevania games, no problems with download play, and they update their firmware fairly quickly when incompatible roms are found.

I'd be suspicious of any knock-off, but you people make it sound like the R4 is a piece of shit, the only issue I have is the lack of SDHC, which doesn't really matter to me because I have tons of microSD's.

10. ojsinnerz.

Member ojsinnerz. Damned

Canada
    It's not that.

Firstly, it has no extra features. Some people might not want one, but still. It's MUCH better to have one then not having one. Like, RTS.

Secondly, there are cheaper carts out there, that are just as good, or maybe even better, like EDGE, or DSTT. EDGE would be the best out of the three.

Thirdly, no SDHC support is a big let down for me, because I also have a lot of videos and games with me.

Fourthly, it's outdated. The consumers buy it, because everyone thinks R4 is the only flashkart out there, even though there are A LOT of better ones out there. Think of Ipods, for example.

Lastly, it have you tested it? The battery life I mean. The reason why R4s and other flashkarts take more battery is because they take extra battery when using a Micro sd. It needs more power to boot anything with a flashkart.

Another thing. If you have a good Micro sd, of course you won't have any problems! Also, no one here ever said R4 was shit. All we said is that "it's wiser to save the money". It also doesn't say that you just buy a N5, but just wiser to buy something else.

It isn't a piece of shit, but for advanced users, or people who want more out of their games, it's not worth it. Or, people with little budget would go for EDGE, or DSTT because they're cheaper.

11. Shabadage

Member Shabadage GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I actually got my R4 just when the DSTT were becoming avaliable. In the end I went for the more expensive R4 because I could find very little info about the DSTT (Did a fair amount of research) and the CyloDS wasn't instock anywhere. I knew the R4 team updated their kernel rather quickly as well, which was a big point for me.

I think I might invest in a DSTT and pass the R4 down to my buddy (He got my GnM when I got the R4). There any homebrew compatibility issues with the TT's?

12. ojsinnerz.

Member ojsinnerz. Damned

Canada
    No. There aren't any homebrew issues. They both use the same Auto DLDI patching for homebrews.

If you're going to change Flashkarts, then I recommend the EDGE.

The DSTT has an issue with it's menu, where it lags. But it loads games in 1-3 seconds.

The EDGE has a smooth interface, and has no known lags. It loads just as fast as the DSTT as well.

If you can afford more, then go with Cyclo.

13. Unchi-san

Member Unchi-san Unchi on a stick! yay~

United States
  14. Sephi

Member Sephi fool

United States
    I love my R4, but the clone is crap.

there are some issues with the DSTT DLDI.

certain dldi homebrew doesn't work (like the new tower defense)
    but other than that no real problems

Shabadage, if you read my quote from UrzaTheTyrant right you would see it was about the clone.

15. Urza

Member Urza hi

United States
  16. Unchi-san

Member Unchi-san Unchi on a stick! yay~

United States
    its still out of stock.

fail

17. Urza

Member Urza hi

United States
    If you want to stay literal, sure.

The rest of us will use common sense and keep it in consideration [​IMG]

18. HaTaX

Member HaTaX GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Checked in and out yesterday when they predicted they'd have some in stock and none showed up today. =( I did pre-order (not knowing they were out of stock) a M3 Simply last week and they said they'd get them in stock on the 15th. Hopefully my order will go out on monday and their site will update so I can order an Edge as well.