New monitor arrived! Need some help with resolution.

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by War, Feb 25, 2009.

Feb 25, 2009
  1. War
    OP

Member War Take it easy~

Japan
    My new monitor finally arrived! I got it all set up, and it didn't really surprise me that even though the max resolution for my monitor is 1920x1200, my computer only (safely) supported like 1400 x something. (It was some weird res) Anyway, I went to Properties, and unticked the option that hides the "unsafe" resolutions from you. My friend told me it wouldn't do any damage, so I just set my monitor to 1600x1200.

However, I'm trying to get my monitor to display at 1920x1080 resolution. Since the only option I have is 1920x1200, I downloaded a program that my friend recommended me called "PowerStrip". I followed this tutorial and tried to set up a user-set resolution of 1920x1080, set it to 30 as the refresh rate and 16:9 aspect ratio, and after I did so, it asked me to reset. After I did, I was supposed to be able to select that resolution as an option under the PowerStrip display properties. Even though I tried it like 10 times, there's no new resolution available in my slider.

Does anyone have any experience with PowerStrip? Anyone know what I may be doing wrong? Or is there an easier way to get my monitor to display at 1920x1080 res? Thanks!

2. sirdashadow

Newcomer sirdashadow Advanced Member

United States
    What model monitor did you get? Is it widescreen? What video card do you have? Do NOT change the refresh rate of an LCD to anything less than 60hz, unlike their CRT counterparts, the refresh rate is not an issue.

3. War
    OP

Member War Take it easy~

Japan
  4. Linkiboy

Member Linkiboy GBAtemp Testing Area

United States
    I've gotten GMA 900 graphics to output at 1920x1080, but it did have to be 60 interlaced/30. Such a resolution is even advertised in the GMA 900 spec sheet.

Maybe try to find drivers?

5. superkrm

Member superkrm GBAtemp Fan

United States
    for best performance and visual clarity

u should only use the native resolution

6. War
    OP

Member War Take it easy~

Japan
    Ive tried updating the drivers, but it keeps saying I have the latest one. I even tried forcing it to update and deleting my old drivers and installing new ones. Still says I have the newest ones.

7. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    for me I had to use a DVI to HDMI adapter (came with gfx card) to get 1920x1080

then once I set it I had to overscan it to full screen size in gfx card settings

8. playallday

Member playallday Group: GBAtemp Ghost

Canada
    Please, go get this or something. It allows up to 2560 x 1600 [​IMG] .

9. Linkiboy

Member Linkiboy GBAtemp Testing Area

United States
    Do you honestly think he has a PCIe slot if he uses GMA 900?

I shown him an 8500gt PCI version (since thats pretty much the best you can get for PCI AFAIK)

10. playallday

Member playallday Group: GBAtemp Ghost

Canada
    Ouch, War REALLY needs a new computer.