New Member Review - SuperCard Lite

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by shaunj66, Aug 18, 2006.

Aug 18, 2006
  1. shaunj66
    OP

Administrator shaunj66 Administrator

United Kingdom

Member Review - SuperCard Lite

Reviewed by FifthE1ement

FifthE1ement has just posted a fantastic member review of the SuperCard Lite.
    Read his review to see what he thought of the product!

Thanks FifthE1ement!

2. pelago

Member pelago Member

United Kingdom
    Thanks for the review, FifthE1ement. You obviously put a lot of work into it, comparing the performance of several games, and so on.

If I may give you some constructive criticism - lay off the exclamation marks. Those, along with some of the phrases in the review, made it read a bit like advertising for Supercard rather than a sober, unbiased review.

3. yumms

Member yumms GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Disagree with that, I've experienced a lot of slowdown with many enemies on screen. Slowdown in fight with Nightmare was ridiculous.

4. FifthE1ement

Member FifthE1ement GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    If you check my testing method it was average gameplay after one hour and it didn't do that on my version. Yes, I did have some slowdown in parts but nothing like it sounds like you have.

FifthE1ement [​IMG]

5. Peter Hacke

Newcomer Peter Hacke Member

VERY nice review! [​IMG] a bit long though [​IMG]. as i have 2 supercard lite + sandisk ultra2 i can totally agree on the performace-check part [​IMG] .
    best performance with sandisk ultra2 microSD [​IMG].

6. rkenshin

Member rkenshin GBAtemp Fan

United States
    gba roms are loaded entirely into ram.. it has nothing to do with what flash media card you're using..

so basically that's what you should be focussing on when determining the performance of GBA games, the ram chip which romman decided to use.

EDIT: I noticed you did mention the above in your review but still.. Giving out what flash media you used for GBA games is quite pointless and could be downsized to just two comparisons (old supercard model vs. new supercard model)

Otherwise good review and I'm sure romman didn't include any sort of cases for the Lite due to the dual board design as he probably feared people would be stupid enough to break that fragile ribbon cable in the process

7. XeNoGeaR

Member XeNoGeaR GBAtemp Fan

Netherlands
    Nice revieuw...

But the testing of castlevania with sandisk ultra2 micro-sd is not 10/10 in my opinion.

It still has some sound bug some times and some times not.

i should gave it 9.5/10.

8. yuyuyup

Member yuyuyup GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    starfox ?

9. heyyouguys

Member heyyouguys GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Nice review!

10. FifthE1ement

United States
    Maybe it has to do with your dump of the game or your options with the SuperCard settings? Mine ran perfect with no audio lags or stutters. The SanDisk 1GB vanilla had a few audio lags but no real video problems. I suggest reformatting your microSD with smaller cluster sizes and or changing your settings or ROM dump as other users have the same results with the Ultra II.

Thanks for all the kind words everyone!

FifthE1ement [​IMG]

11. Wheez

Newcomer Wheez Newbie

United States
    Awesome review! Reminds me of writing investigations for my physics class. I've been going back and forth for about a month trying to decide between G6 Lite, M3 Lite, and SC Lite and this review just made up my mind. I just ordered mine today! [​IMG]

12. Freezard

Newcomer Freezard Member

Sweden
    Jesus what a long review. Looks nice though. Btw...

"Even the memory and RAM are manufactured by the same company"

lol. [​IMG]

13. blizeH

Member blizeH GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    So many negative bullet points, yet it still gets 9/10? :wtf:

14. FifthE1ement

United States
    I know its long don't you want to know everything, lol? [​IMG]

What I meant was that the components are all the same as previous models. And the SuperCard Lite has different types of memory and RAM. It has 256 KBytes SRAM, 32 MBytes SDRAM, and 512KB FlashROM. What I meant by memory was the SRAM as that’s where your saves go until saved to your flash media and the RAM is the SDRAM which is used to load into memory and play GBA games, and if you change some settings DS games. [​IMG]

As for the bullet points, most don't interfere with gameplay as they are cosmetic problems. I tried to add as many pros and cons to show both points so that the users can make the final descision.

FifthE1ement [​IMG]